RSS Feed Print
What Genre is My Book?
Selina Fenech
Posted: Thursday, May 5, 2011 12:39 PM

I'm having trouble working out which sub-genre my novel fits into and would love some feedback. It's definitely Fantasy, but after that I get fuzzy.

The main character is a modern, urban, real world person, but the setting is secondary fantasy world (sort of- technically a hidden part of our world, but this isn't explored in the first book of the trilogy). 

The setting is a semi-victorian era land with magic and a heavy fae influence, and elements Arthurian mythology. The first book of the trilogy is primarily action and chase scene, often in forest or less populated areas, but the rest of the trilogy build to world changing, epic fantasy.

So, I'm having trouble deciding where it fits in. High Fantasy or Traditional Fantasy are what I'm thinking, but not sure which. 

I'd love any thoughts on the subject, thank you!

Alexander Hollins
Posted: Thursday, May 5, 2011 3:18 PM

I refer to those as alternate world fantasies, myself. But, if semi victorian, id say high and not trad.
KJ Bledsoe
Posted: Thursday, May 5, 2011 6:50 PM

I agree that it's probably high fantasy, though not because of its Victorian influence; rather, because of what you said about it evolving into something sweeping and world changing. Taking the genre descriptions from the genre map, traditional fantasy plots are more personal, focused on a handful of characters, while high fantasy plots are more complex and sweeping, with more characters in the mix.

It sounds like you're mixing genres, which is always fun, in my opinion! Honest, I think an argument could be successfully made for either traditional or high. Author's choice!
Selina Fenech
Posted: Friday, May 6, 2011 3:32 AM

Thanks! I'm going with High Fantasy at the moment. Although I believe the first book may be more Traditional Fantasy, the second two are more High Fantasy and I think it better if they are classed the same.

Jump to different Forum...