RSS Feed Print
Super Heroes
Robert C Roman
Posted: Wednesday, May 4, 2011 1:52 PM

I just posted the first four chapters to a WIP, I was wondering if anyone else out there has been exploring this corner of the genre.

KJ Bledsoe
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2011 3:52 PM

I've got the first six chapters of a superhero WIP up, myself! I've been pondering genre, though. My superhero doesn't have powers - she's more Batman than Superman. There may not be any powers or magic or supernatural whatnot in this story at all. I figure someone running around in a costume fighting bad guys fits with fantasy, despite that...
Danielle Bowers
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2011 4:11 PM

I've done some work on comics and I've always enjoyed writing about superheroes. I'm looking forward to reading your new WIP!
Robert C Roman
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2011 5:50 AM

@KJ - I think it depends more on the feel of your story than the actual nuts and bolts of how they become superheroes.

An example would be the movie "Kick Ass" - there was absolutely nothing supernatural there, just some guns, martial arts, and a whole lot of refusal to lie down and take it. (Take it standing! Like a man! Wait, what?)

Anyhow, the point stands - if your story feels 'super-hero-ey', then it's contemp fantasy, because that's what shelf super-heroes go on. I've got "soon I will be invincible" on my shelf, and I'd put it in Sci-Fi of some sort, but... I'm weird.

@Danielle - Well, there are two of us on here now.
Colleen Lindsay
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2011 2:42 PM

You should also check out Michael R Underwood's Shield and Crocus, which is a really good superhero fantasy posted here on Book Country:

http://bookcountry.com/Books/BookDetails.aspx?bookId=100170

You guys are not alone! LOL!
stephmcgee
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2011 3:26 PM

I haven't gone there yet but I wouldn't be opposed to it if the idea struck me and stuck. Popping these books onto my TBC queue.
Robert C Roman
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 1:54 AM

Hadn't seen Shield and Crocus yet. Been too much with the writing and not enough with the reading lately. Bad me, no biscuit!
KJ Bledsoe
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 1:58 PM

I'll definitely check out Shield and Crocus! And yours, Robert. Yay for superhero stories!

I put mine in Urban Fantasy -- that's what it feels like, to me. City-based, solving a crime/mystery using unusual methods, and there's a romance. It just doesn't have the typical supernatural/magical elements.

Jump to different Forum...