RSS Feed Print
Is Book Country still relevant?
Douglas Lutz
Posted: Saturday, July 2, 2016 5:32 PM

So let's talk about the elephant in the room.

Like the other BC Directors before her, Lucy has moved on. I actually met her in April at the RH Open House and was very glad to see she is doing well.

The new director seems content with only posting to Twitter, and those are normally retweets. Not much original content on Twitter, or on the BC blog.

The BC site itself? There does not seem to be any new investment by PRH to grow the site. I do see new writers introducing themselves, but there is minimal interaction otherwise.

I recently posted a novel that had been workshopped here, rewritten, workshopped here again, and then fully edited. Theoretically, it is ready for epub now although I was considering choosing one of the higher level options to leverage the assistance of professionals at PRH marketing. But I hesitate.

Why?

Given the recent legal disaster at Booktrope, do I want to sign into an agreement with Book Country, only to have no further support past creating a few files and placing them in the marketing stream? Or worse, like Booktrope have the plug pulled later? At face value, the lack of visible support from PRH tells me they are no longer interested in BC's future.

If this is the case - why would anyone want to publish here?

So I ask - is this site still relevant to writers? And for writers?

The time it takes for a response will be telling. I hope for the best. I really do.

Perry
Posted: Monday, July 4, 2016 5:59 PM

I'm not sure I'm qualified to respond, but no one else has done it, so here goes.

I joined BC when another writers' site closed in 2013. I have not posted a story here. I tried a couple of times to review others' books but failed due to clunky software, or perhaps it was (my) operator error. I have posted comments on the discussion boards, and have read most everything that is posted here. The traffic on these boards has dropped off since Lucy left; she encouraged us as a group and individually to keep the discussions going.

My limited experience and the experience of my friends is that the marketing of a new book falls to the author. This is true even  for those who publish through one of the major houses. We "emerging" authors have to get out and sell the books ourselves.I think this will be especially true for anyone who buys a publishing package. The publisher can catalog our books widely, but we have to sell them.

Publishing houses that sell services will handle many of the details of producing a finished book. I don't know BC and how satisfied its paying customers have been. Can any of them comment, either here or through a personal message or email?

I have known authors to have the whole range of experiences with publishing services, from totally satisfied on the one hand to having to sue for non-delivery of services on the other. The happiest authors are the ones who have personal relationships with their publishers. I live in a rural area, but within an hour's drive of a major metropolitan area. If I was to buy publishing services, it would be from someone in our city, someone who I could meet with in person. If I am not happy, I know where to find the person who promised me satisfaction.

I was fortunate to find a small traditional publisher to publish two short story collections. My publisher lives four states away, but before we signed a contract for the first book, we shared a pizza in a bar a few miles from his summer cabin near my home. We trust one another and each tries to satisfy the other. Can you find this trust with BC? Maybe so.

Mimi Speike
Posted: Tuesday, July 5, 2016 12:06 AM

Re publishing with BC, I have watched the devolving participation of both writers and management, and have wondered about the long-term myself.

I poke a nose in now and then, but my focus is elsewhere. I am building my website, and will post my novella there, as a teaser, while I tackle problems in the full book and get it in shape for a true publish.

I have joined with a few published folks from here, and we have created a site dedicated to exploring marketing. We have been up and running for two months now. We are five charter members, two new-minted ones, and a dozen more who participate as the spirit moves them, and the quality of the discussion is such that we feel it is going to grow, and to attract attention. 

The address is: writercoop.wordpress.com

--edited by Mimi Speike on 7/5/2016, 12:10 AM--

Douglas Lutz
Posted: Tuesday, July 5, 2016 5:21 AM
Hi Mimi,  I have been trying to get to the new site however I have been locked out from Wordpress due to secondary authentication issues. I basically need to create a new Wordpress account and start over. Glad to see your venture growing.
Douglas Lutz
Posted: Tuesday, July 5, 2016 5:28 AM
I agree on the marketing now being the responsibility of the author. Today it is the norm. And that's okay. My biggest concern comes from watching Booktrope go down, leaving many authors in limbo. Their books are no longer available for sale because the platform shut down. Adding to the problem, the contracts with the editors, artists, marketing teams, etc. have become void. Now their authors are wrestling with legal questions such as who owns what and how much? I hesitate to put my book for sale on Book Country only to have Penguin Random House shut the site down. In business, everything creates revenue or spends revenue. A little transparency from PRH would go a long way in building author confidence in their product.
Angela Elliott
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2016 3:30 AM
Most of the online writers sites are dead or dying. Despite reviewing here, my book hasn't been reviewed at all. You write on, similarly dead. Kindle's write on, also dying. Forums full of spam and trolls. Sad state of affairs. People have moved on. Not sure where to.
Douglas Lutz
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2016 7:10 PM

Part of the problem here and at other sites is the misconception of the social media arc. There are a number of books out there, shelved among the numerous how-to books relating to business, that propose the long-yerm goal for your social media site is to build the audience, moderate for a while, then let the site take off on its own via interaction among members. We are trying this concept at my "real" jpb, and I tell you - it just doesn't work that way. 

Writers are on the whole, introverts. That's why we write instead of give speeches. 

When Book Country had active moderation, the site thrived. Now - it has been more than half a year since anyone employed by PRH has posted on their own site. Again, such visible lack of ownership tells me it is a huge gamble to invest my money in one of the publishing packages here. Google Booktrope if you want a glimpse of the future here.

I do know a few expats from BC have started their own forum at writercoop.wordpress.com. They're good people. Check them out. I'm kinda burned out on the online forum for a bit so I am concentrating on my own writing business.

I don't stop by BC much at all, but replies to any of my posts seem to hit my email. And I'll gladly respond. If all else fails, stop by my website at www.douglaslutz.com, or see me on FB and Twitter @authorDJLutz.

My best to all.

Douglas Lutz
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2016 6:56 PM
And on Friday, September 23, 2016, the announcement has been sent that Book Country as we know will be no more.
Amber J. Wolfe
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2016 9:25 PM

Well, since Book Country has finally decided to become just a forum--I was expecting this, for it to fade into the background, as sad as that is--I will be closing my account soon. I hate to go, but this is no longer the site I fell in love with.

If you would like to connect with me outside the site, you may find me at: www.scribophile.com (just copy and post the link into your browser bar and it'll take you right to it).

My user name there is Amber J. Wolfe. Same as here. Send me a PM if you join!

It, thankfully, is still a site where you can get feedback on your stories, with a much better critique engine than Book Country could ever hope for, and you can join for free. There is a premium package for $65 dollars, but you don't have to upgrade to get feedback on your writing.

Joining was the best decision I made.

So long, Book Country! It was nice while it lasted.

Boatman
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2016 5:23 PM

Ah... Such a shame.

I have been looking around for a publishing website which can introduce readers to new authors interested in the same sub-genre.

I thought this one had the makings of a suitable platform.