RSS Feed Print
Jonathan Cape holds open submissions month in June 2014
Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager
Posted: Thursday, April 3, 2014 2:54 PM

Some interesting news from the UK:

"Venerable, highly reputable UK publishing imprint Jonathan Cape has announced that it will be throwing open the doors for the whole of June this year, inviting open submissions from new writers of high caliber and imagination."

Check it out!

Mimi Speike
Posted: Thursday, April 3, 2014 3:54 PM

Well, I guess I'll give it a try. I think that my thing is so difficult/odd that it would be a miracle to find a trad publisher, but, what-the hell! Thanks. You're a marvelous instigator.
Posted: Thursday, April 3, 2014 4:51 PM

Why thank you! Though I can't take credit. Brandi was the one who found this opportunity. I agree that it is really fabulous! Good luck!!
DCLabs
Posted: Saturday, April 5, 2014 10:00 PM

Wow thanks Lucy, this is a really cool opportunity.  I'm definitely going to give this a shot.
Posted: Monday, April 7, 2014 2:16 PM

You both will have to keep us posted on what happens!

Mimi Speike
Posted: Monday, April 7, 2014 4:30 PM

Damn right. I have rewritten my opening in response to the feedback I've gotten on BC. If I get a nod of any kind, it will be due to the good advice I've gotten here. If I hear not a peep, well, nothing ventured, nothing gained. It won't discourage me. I'll soldier on, count on it. Thanks again.

--edited by Mimi Speike on 4/7/2014, 4:31 PM--

Mimi Speike
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 3:22 PM

I've worked through most of the issues that my editor has raised, I've readied my first fifty pages for submission, I've created a cover letter, and I've gone to the site, looking to post. All I see is mentions of short stories and graphic novels. Are they interested in full novels? I've emailed them asking, just minutes ago. I'm a bit crushed. Well, the work needed to be done anyway. I'll post the answer as soon as I hear back.

Has anyone else submitted? Lucy, what do you know of it?

Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 3:25 PM

Hi Mimi,

I am seeing this, copied from the Jonathan Cape site:

CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS

From 1–30 June, 2014, Jonathan Cape will be open for fiction submissions from new writers of high calibre and imagination. 

Submissions should be an initial 50 pages of prose fiction. These can be part of a novel or novella, or short stories. The pages can be finished work or a work in progress. 

For graphic-novel submissions, please contact the editors through www.capegraphicnovels.co.uk

Submissions should be emailed as attachments to capesubmissions@randomhouse.co.uk. Please include contact details, and a covering paragraph of any information you think might prove helpful in considering your submission. 

Regrettably, due to the number of submissions we receive, we cannot respond in every instance, but all entries will be read. Submissions received after 30 June will not be considered. Please submit only one title.

Looks like your novel excerpt is absolutely eligible!

Lucy

Mimi Speike
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 3:39 PM

Thank you Lucy! I was quite deflated there, for a few minutes. 

It's pumped and polished and ready to go. I'll give it one more read-through and send it tomorrow.

Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 3:40 PM

Awesome! Good luck, Mimi!
Mimi Speike
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 6:45 PM

Hey Lucy. Yes, I'm now obsessing over chapter titles. Seeing as how I still have a good deal of problematic material, (according to my reviewers) I'm trying to muddy the waters by making a running joke of it.

Here's why I'm really writing: how long is too long for a cover letter? I have taken my 'About the Book', deleted a line or two, added an introductory sentence and a wrap-up one. It fills a page at 12 point type. Hmmm. Was that double spaced? I don't recall. The letter is at home and I'm at work, so I can't check just now.

Can anyone give me an acceptable word count?

Mimi Speike
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2014 6:40 PM

Never mind about a word count. I've chopped a bit more, I'm happy, it's ready to go. I am mentally exhausted. I'll take a few days off, then start thinking about the remainder. I've only been dealing with the first fifty pages, for the J. Cape submission.
Mimi Speike
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2014 3:57 PM

It's gone. Call me delusional, but I'll jump on the next hundred fifty pages in case they ask to see more. Worse case, not at all bad either, is that the book will be ready to publish by the end of the summer.
Mimi Speike
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 12:45 AM

Lucy, I'm in a tizzy. I just realized that, while I have all my contact info on my email with a promo blurb, my title and name are nowhere on my pdf manuscript. Pages are numbered, but no Speike/Sly/1 and so on. Is this a major boo-boo? I'm at work. I've taken a look at three manuscripts here. None of them have that author name/title in the corner of each page. But these are the accepted manuscripts. Maybe they don't do that once it's been accepted. Should I get this stuff on my pages and send a new version?

I should have taken my time and thought about what I was doing. But after I got my revisions done, boom, I sent it off in a rush.

Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 9:43 AM

Hi Mimi--did the submission guidelines ask for you to have that information on the manuscript pages?

Lucy

Mimi Speike
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 10:09 AM

I find no guidelines other than: fifty pages maximum, sent as attachment to an email, if you wish, a paragraph or two with information that you feel might be useful to their decision. In my email I have included all my contact information, and a rewritten and abbreviated  'About The Book'. So I guess I'll not drive myself nuts over what I sent, second-guessing.
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 10:56 AM

As a general rule, I think it is always better to just not drive yourself nuts.

Sounds like you are good to go, Mimi. Best of luck to you! I'm impressed with how much work you put into your submission.