RSS Feed Print
Does anyone read books anymore?
Jhw120
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 3:35 PM

I've written four books and cant get any of my friends and acquantances to read my books. Most say they watch TV, text, tweet, facebook or go to the movies.

Do I have to pay them to read my books??????

Jim.

Cortney
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 5:00 AM

Ask them what their favorite genre is. Then write a book of that genre. Get ideas for your story from them, and maybe then they will read it. I'm not sure what else to tell you, because most of my friends either love to read, or love to write. confused Maybe this advice will help.

Lucy Silag
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 8:41 AM

Hi Jim! Welcome to Book Country! We are so glad to have you here on the site.

It's wonderful to hear that you have written four books--that is really phenomenal. Even if your friends and acquaintances aren't big readers, that doesn't mean your work can't find an audience here on Book Country. We'd love for you to get involved with reading & reviewing (via the dark blue tab on the far left of the screen), and posting your own work for others to review. Let me know if I can help you get started.

Lucy Silag

Book Country Community and Engagement Manager

John Speikers
Posted: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 10:38 AM

Historical fiction is a tough genre.  It doesn't have the pizzazz of thrillers or fantasy epics.  Most folks lives are so so humdrum they don't want anything close to reality.  I love history and historical fiction.  I think it takes special talent to evoke drama and still keep the readers from going off and ordering pizza.  Check out Colleen McCullough for an author who has made rather dry topics fascinating (Roman Republic Era).
chatebooks
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2016 12:44 PM

I think there are still some readers who are loyal followers of paperbacks. Although the ebook craze has taken over the reading experience, there are still people who prefer having their hands on the actual pages of books. ChatEbooks recently posted https://www.chatebooks.com/blog-4-Simple-Tips-on-Writing-a-Concise-and-Impressive-Book-Synopsis
nate1952
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2016 1:57 PM

According to this report from On the Media a few weeks ago, print books are booming:

http://www.wnyc.org/story/why-publishing-industry-isnt-peril/

Lots of people like the e-readers. I tend to prefer one when I'm away from home, because physical books are so bulky. But I still associate the act of "reading" with a physical book - and I see lots of people walking around with books because a book is just a different tactile experience.

- Nate Briggs (SLC)

Jump to different Forum...