RSS Feed Print
REVIEWS: Fearlessly Forthright or Nicely-Nicely?
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 11:19 PM

I know, Robert. It would be fun running amuck and causing all sorts of mayhem for those that hurt you, but it wouldn't really solve anything. You would just get in trouble for killing or brutally maiming the bastard.
Carl E Reed
Posted: Thursday, April 5, 2012 2:15 AM

For Robert C. Roman & LeeAnna: "This . . . is  . . . BOOK COUNTRY!" (People who've never seen 300 are going to think I'm yelling at you. Good grief; I'm not that big an a-hole, people! G'see da film . . now! 'Ode to a Grecian ab . . ')

@Tom: I agree with you that there is no perfect system where ratings are concerned. The editorial staffs and readership of many computer and video game magazines and websites are having this same debate at present, some going so far as to drop the over-all 0%-100% rating score on a reviewed game entirely. I think that's a bridge too far, myself . . . But given your suggestion I wanted to see if I could elaborate on it a bit and find a way to make it work (if that's what people wanted to do).

Re: reviews disappearing: I know exactly what you mean. Quite frankly (Howdy, brother Newt!) it pisses me off when the work I've put into writing a long, detailed review disappears into the ether, so to speak, when the writer pulls their story from the site. Here's a suggestion I'm making in all earnestness: Keep the freakin' review available to readers on BC, even though the story itself has disappeared! That may sound ridiculous but I stand by this statement/heart-felt request/bitter lament: When I'm looking at other writer's reviews I'm not comparing the accuracy of their comments and criticisms to the stories reviewed, rather I'm reading their review to judge them on their ability (or appalling lack thereof) to write clear, cogent, communicative sentences that adequately source and reference back to the critiqued writer's own text. I would argue, therefore, that keeping the review accessible isn't as absurd and pointless as it first sounds.

Good luck with the writing and the teaching, Tom! I hope you're getting more of both done at present.

Hey gang! Atthys, LeeAnna, Tom, Kevin, Angela, GD; anyone else I neglected to mention: What's everyone reading at present? Anything good or especially moving/riveting/of abiding interest and relevance? Share! Constant reading is every bit as important and essential a part of the writing life as scritch-scribbling in the midnight hour . . .

Robert C Roman
Posted: Thursday, April 5, 2012 6:00 AM

@LeeAnna -  I was just going to kick them into a bottomless pit. That would work, right? No body, no evidence. Just 'This! Is! Sparta! and *boot* and I feel better.

No?

Ah, well. Back to the drawing board.

@Carl - Not. So. Fast. (If you don't get it, lurk moar Or go to YouTube and check out Leonidas vs. Master Chief. Warning - NSFW (language))

Interesting idea on keeping the reviews up after the books are dropped though. What would you think of some form of marker that notes which revision the review was for? That would address the 'that one star review was for my rough draft, and I've rewritten six times in the two years since!' concerns.

Also, in answer to your question, I'm currently making my way through the Miles Vorkosigan series. I'd never read it before. Pretty good so far, although amusingly it breaks a lot of the 'rules' I've read posted here and elsewhere.

Carl E Reed
Posted: Thursday, April 5, 2012 10:10 AM

@Robert: Re: Not. So. Fast. Heh! Secondly, like your marker idea tying ratings to specific versions of the reviewed manuscripts.

@Samantha: a good point, worth re-iterating: The 5-star rating doesn't necessarily mean either (a) "I love love loves yer story!" or (b) "I'm ready to shell out money for your book right now," but "I think this manuscript is ready for immediate publication."   
Tom Wolosz
Posted: Thursday, April 5, 2012 4:46 PM

Sam, I never read other reviews first.  Doing so only biases me, but generally in an way opposite to what you expressed - if I first read a glowing review, I tend to be disappointed, on other hand following a bad review generally leads me to conclude: "Gee, that wasn't that bad." So my method is to read the work twice (once for general take, second time for details and to make sure I didn’t miss or misinterpret something).  Then I write the review, and after posting it I look at other reviews.  All around better and more interesting way of doing things for me.

Carl, I’ve been reading mainly history in order to get some insight on which I can build stronge characters.  Not pretty though.  Just finished “The End” by Ian Kershaw – covers the final year or so of Third Reich and why they didn’t give up.  Right now reading about another sweetheart – “Hitler’s Hangman, the Life of Heydrich”  by Robert Gerwarth.  I’m not really super into WWII, just trying to get better understanding in order to better draw my characters.  One book I will recommend though is Drew Gilpin Faust’s “This Republic of Suffering”.  Examines the changes in attitudes about death and dying over the course of the Civil War.  Now you know why most of my writing is so cheery!   

BTW, got another short story all done in my head (which means it’s about 5% done).  Just got to find the time to sit down and write it out.  Just to give you an idea, “And the Last Shall Be First” was all thought out around end of last July.  I pretty much finished the first draft by the end of November.  Last draft – currently posted on BC following heated discussions of characters with a writer who will go unnamed (thanks Carl!) – posted end of January.   

Angela Martello
Posted: Thursday, April 5, 2012 5:19 PM

I'm with you, Tom - I don't read other reviews on a work until after I've posted mine. I don't want to be influenced in anyway. I usually start my reviews by stating that I haven't read the others and asking for forgiveness if any of my comments are repetitive.

In general, I don't read reviews of movies or published books or plays or ballets or whatever else I might be planning on seeing or reading. Of course, that means I've sat through some dreadful performances and movies. 

Carl - Book Country probably could reserve reviews and associated comments for pulled books in a separate searchable "reviews" database. In the same database, they could probably somehow tag the reviews with what version of the work was reviewed (Draft 1, Draft 7).

As for the stars - Because there can be so much subjectivity with respect to the way people assign stars, I wonder just how useful they are. In fact, I find most "rating systems" to be flawed. In my current company (large, international STM primary publisher) and my last company (large, international indexing and abstracting publisher), the employee evaluation systems used "Does not meet expectations," "Meets expectations," "Exceed expectations" and a couple of others in between. Very early on, when merit raises were not rolled into cost of living increases, you could rate someone as "Exceeds expectations" and give them a little extra money - a true merit raise. But when the merit raise pool vanished and all that was available was a lousy pool based on 2% of the total salaries in a group or department, if you wanted to give someone an "Exceeds expectations" and little something extra, you had to pull it from the 2% that would be allotted to someone else. And the only way you could do that, was to give that person below a "Meets expectations." The solution: everyone "met expectations" and everyone got a lousy 2% raise. So the entire review process lost any true value.

I think the comments in a thoughtful and thorough review are far more important/useful/meaningful than the stars. Unfortunately, the algorithms Book Country uses to generate the list of "Community favorite" books are based on the stars - not the content of the reviews themselves (although, there are times I can't, for the life of me, figure out how books get into that list - and that's even after reading the FAQ several times). Not sure how this list would be populated, though, if the stars were eliminated.

As for what I'm currently reading, I'm working my way through "A Dance with Dragons" (mostly because I already invested so much time in reading the first four books - although this one is much better than the fourth book). Then I'll probably pick up something by Cherryh or de Lint or get back into my Fluenz Italian lessons.

Kevin Haggerty
Posted: Thursday, April 5, 2012 5:19 PM

Hey Carl,

I'm having trouble settling on a book to read just now.  Nothing's grabbing me.  I'm slowly going through Blood Meridian and rereading the Castle--remarkable parallels between these books, structurally, narratively, (which wasn't planned on my part, just a lovely synchronicity), but neither book is demanding my full attention atm.  Also picked up Kings of Colorado, but I may drop it. 

Y'know, I go to B&N to look for new SF titles to check out and I'm always so disappointed.  Of course, first of all, the shelves are dominated by garish pulp fantasy titles and the few SF books mixed in are mostly about space exploration and aliens and blah blah blah.  Not what I'm looking for. 

When it's all said and done, the SF/fantasy that I've appreciated (The Goneaway World, The Passage) has all been shelved with literature anyway.  I would not be surprised if my own near future distopian novel got shelved with literature as well.

I may be a rarity here on BC, but I usually read a few pages of a book on the site and if it sustains my interest I read at least a few of the reviews it's gotten.  I'm really clear with myself that I'm not here to judge the books or award them prizes, so there is no issue of bias for me. 

Mainly, I don't want to be redundant.  Although, if I think there's a point several reviewers have touched on but the writer has ignored I may try my hand at getting through.  I'm here to share what insights into the creative process I have and help the work to be better.  I don't review a book unless I feel I have some insight into what the writer is up to.  Some books I just don't get and I don't review those.  I want to focus on what the book seems to be trying to accomplish and help it to achieve its goals.  I understand this is pretty presumptuous of me, but life's too short to not take the risk, y'know?  And in the end, all I'm risking is being wrong. 

-Kevin

Herb Mallette
Posted: Saturday, April 7, 2012 12:48 PM

I just received a review from someone whose opinions I've come to have a certain respect for. Despite knowing him to be a bit of a curmudgeon, I was still so aggrieved by his stinginess with the stars that I almost disregarded the points he was making. I genuinely had to struggle to absorb and process the actual worth of his comments.

One problem was that his star ratings didn't seem to agree with his overall assessment. He said I was doing most things very well and that only the specific areas that he commented on needed work. But he rated me at two stars in two categories and one star in the third. To me, there was a huge disconnect in that, and I could only reconcile it by assuming that his star ratings mean something like the following:

0 - You have no skill at all in this area.
1 - You've developed some skill here, but not enough to be publishable.
2 - Your work is borderline publishable in this area, but doesn't deserve to sell well if it gets picked up.
3 - You've delivered thoroughly average writing here, just like the majority of what's on the shelves.
4 - I am highly impressed with this; you're producing solidly good work.
5 - This is some of the best writing I've ever come across.

Now, in my opinion, that's a questionable system for critiquing the work of unpublished authors, because you're hardly ever going to give anyone more than three stars, and most of your ratings will be compressed into the one-to-two-star area. That gives you very little room to differentiate your assessment of the writing with your stars.

But regardless of the utility of the system my reviewer has chosen, his review was almost hamstrung by the fact that I don't know what his system is. If I hadn't known him from comment threads, I would have blown him off, because the one- and two-star ratings felt so wildly off the mark to me. That would have been a shame, because he made some good points, and I've already used them to improve the work.

So I intend from here on to add a comment as soon as I review a piece, and in the comment I'll paste my own interpretation of the star system:

0 - You're missing all of the fundamentals in this area.
1 - You've picked up on some of the basics here, but are still missing others.
2 - You've got most of the basics down, but not much range of technique.
3 - Your fundamentals are solid, and I see nice touches of technique, but you're still making significant errors that reduce your effectiveness.
4 - This work is very good overall, maybe borderline publishable, and needs only a few improvements to put it over the line.
5 - Perfectly publishable -- I may suggest a few things that would make it even better, but I think this story deserves to be on the market.

Finally, put me in the firm-criticism-with-encouragement camp alongside Angela and Carl and several others. As a writer, I know that there are several things I'm doing very well. A review that appears not to acknowledge any of those things leaves me suspicious that the reviewer is just out to puff herself up by running me down. In contrast, I'm going to place a lot more confidence in the remarks of a reviewer who proves to me that she can recognize good writing as well as bad.
Carl E Reed
Posted: Saturday, April 7, 2012 2:04 PM

Herb, that is an EXCELLENT post! Well-articulated, absolutely spot-on (would this guy give most published writers--forget five, how about four--stars?) and about as reasonable and level-headed a reaction to a "WTF?!" moment caused by a  perceived mis-match between awarded-stars and editorial comments as one could hope for from an aggrieved writer. If I could I'd give you ten "thumb's-up" here.

PS. And you're right; the guy does know what he's talking about and oftentimes makes spot-on, helpful comments. But he's very, very stingy with those stars. You've just gotta allow for that when he craptiques you . . .   PPS. I'm not suggesting his critiques are crap; I am saying that I think he sees his role as being the tough-minded, truth-telling drill instructor sea gull who comes caw-cawing to your fool's picnic and deposits his "calling cards" all over your high-fat, extra-salt, gonna-kill-you-soon-if-you-don't-stop-now junk food. 
Herb Mallette
Posted: Saturday, April 7, 2012 2:27 PM

Thanks, Carl.

Oh, and I love your "drill instructor sea gull" analogy. Hilarious!
Kevin Haggerty
Posted: Saturday, April 7, 2012 3:53 PM

Hey Herb,

Not to get Freudian on ya, but I think it's significant that your version of the star ratings is so focused on "you" and not "your book."  One star isn't "your book is missing all of the fundamentals in this area" but "YOU are missing all of the fundamentals in this area."  That's pretty heavy.  Not, your book needs work, but YOU need work.  Ouch. 

"YOU've picked up on some of the basics, BUT..."

"YOUR fundamentals are solid, BUT..."

Encouragingly, at 4 stars you switch over to talking about the book:  "THIS WORK is very good overall..."

But if you continue to see the star system as you describe it here, it can only be a source of pain and frustration for you when you get anything below a 4!  That's not fair to you.  Nor is it fair to the poor critic who honestly thinks your book isn't publishable yet.  "Yet" being the operative word.  Unless the critic says, "give it up, kid, you'll never be a writer" I think it's fair to assume they're not talking about you.  Just the book.  In its current iteration.

The star system here, as sketched by Danielle in her How to Use Book Country thread represents both a scale from "bad" to "good" and from "first draft" to "publishable."  These two scales are not always compatable or synchronous.  In my own reviews I try to stay focused on what I would consider a "finished" work.  So, my own sense of the ratings would be something along the lines of:

* = very rough, more like a synopsis than a finished manuscript.  It may mean you need to start over because what ya got here ain't gonna take you anywhere.
** = a good basic idea is marred by a lot of stuff that just isn't working for you.  Get out the weedwacker.
*** = some solid work, on the right track, but you're not out of the woods yet.  If you just keep at it, however, you should do fine.
**** = you're in the polishing stage. 
***** = I'd submit it as is.  If this is the rating in one of the subcategories, I'm saying you don't have to worry about this aspect of the book, your instincts are spot on.

See, there's not a lot of "I hate this book" or "this book is garbage" in that and nothing about you as a writer/person (funny, I do slip in that bit about "your instincts" at 5 stars--none of us immune to personalizing this stuff).  There's mostly: I don't think this is working for you/I do think this is working for you.

I think ya gotta look at reviews like the one you just got as the critic's frank assessment of how ready you are to be published.  Yes, your writing may be in the top 10%, but publishable work is in the top 1%.  The critic just don't think you're ready.  At worst, I'd say the critic thinks you got a lot of skills *specific to the writer of publishable fiction* yet to acquire.  He may be right, he may be wrong.  His advice is only that: his.  That's all any of us can do:  offer our best advice.  And he's got some hands-on experience to back it up, so...

For what it's worth, I found the review you're talking about particularly insightful about your story; about what may be keeping it from being picked up.  I think when the critic talks about "trivia" and "gossip," as tremendously unflattering as those words sound, he's right on the money in terms of writing a good, focused, marketable story. 

What you have in "The Last Tragedy" is a whole lot of what so many writers should envy you for: specificity.  Most of the books I read, even on this site, suffer from a lack of specificity.  The writers don't seem to be aware of the need to find the universal through the particular.  You don't have that problem, which does indeed set you above a lot of your peers. 

But in your book, I don't think your specifics are focused on enriching the story you're there to tell.  They maintain a moment to moment naturalism, but the book doesn't grab hold of the reader the way it could.  The harp/lyre controversy is indeed specific, but what does it really reveal about character/setting/plot?  What does it tell us to particularize the hero? 

Also, this "trivia" is what you're starting with.  And there is precious little room for trivia in the first few pages of a novel.  Of course, a fine writer makes all the heavy lifting the first chapter has to do look as easy and natural as she can, but that's tricky business and no shame on you if your book needs more focus in that arena.

Finally, I think it's good for us, though painful to be sure, to have to *rethink* the whole project of our writing from time to time.  It keeps our eye focused on the work, where it should be, and not on our all too frangible egos.

-Kevin
Carl E Reed
Posted: Saturday, April 7, 2012 5:04 PM

What I like about Herb's response, Kevin, is his honesty: He admits his hurt but goes on to say that he struggled to hear the constructive parts of Jay's critique. (Why are we being so coy about naming Jay Greenstein?) Like you I agree with almost everything Jay is saying there (Herb, you see-saw between a kind of psuedo-omniscient and 3rd-person limted POV and that's the bulk of Jay's criticism; the good news is that can be fixed very easily once you become aware of it--which you are now, eh?)  

But Herb also makes some very good points: (1) Every reviewer on BC seems to be critiquing according to slightly (or drastically, in some instances) different standards and expectations, (2) there is a bit of a mis-match between telling someone  "you're doing most things very well" [I read that statement and expect to see three stars in the "over-all" category], (3) if you do tell someone they're doing "most things well" how about giving them a couple examples of it and writing a sentence or two on how and why you think those bits work? and finally (4) Jay is a bit of a curmudgeon; that's how he presents himself and comes across in his reviews (along with that gimlet-eyed, unflinching stare-down pic of himself that he's chosen to post as his avatar. Semiotics, anyone? Everything we say, wear, choose to own or do signals to others around us: "This is who I am.") Now I happen to have a perverse soft spot in my heart for curmudgeons but it does make it harder for people to hear you. I think Herb did his level best to look past the low stars and try to come to grips with the truth of what Jay is saying there. (But Jay has his own prejudices and preferences which he--like all of us, eh?--brings to his reviews. For one thing he champions a strict 3rd-person limited POV; I think it's fair to say that the omnisicient POV grates on his nerves and aesthetic sensibilites. For another the tone of his reviews can come across like the oracular voice of God thundering at you. There are times when he proposes solutions to non-existent problems; or--perhaps a better, truer phrasing--states as flat declarative fact things that are merely his opinion. Yes, yes, yes it's his review given in his voice but I'm just sayin'--a little humility and occasional self-effacement and/or humor might help the medicine go down>0

@Herb: Jay's never reviewed me. He knows I'm here; he knows I expect 1-stars across the board from him. Yet he won't savage the red meat of my writing. Why? I'm guessing because there's no "zero stars" rating allowed on Book Cuuntry, heh!    

Angela Martello
Posted: Saturday, April 7, 2012 5:09 PM

Words of wisdom, Kevin! Absolutely, the star ratings, the reviews, the comments should focus on the writing, not the writer.

Herb Mallette
Posted: Saturday, April 7, 2012 5:12 PM

Good point about the pronouns, Kevin. I'll depersonalize my star schema before I attach it to any reviews.

I'm fascinated by the notion that the harp/lyre controversy doesn't tell the reader anything about that character. I'll really have to think about that. I wonder if you'd do me a favor and reread those first few paragraphs, making the assumption that they were written by an author you really, really trust. (That may require some suspension of disbelief, I'm sure.) In the context of a trusting reader-author relationship, does that passage still tell you nothing about who Weston is?

If the section is really that mute on character development, then obviously I need to replace it with something else. But if the problem is that you don't trust me enough to see what I'm trying to do, then what I need to do is work harder to gain that trust with my opening few lines.

Thanks for your thoughts (and rather than us continuing to hijack this thread, feel free to move any further comments to the comment thread on the book review itself, if you've any desire to continue this part of the discussion).
Herb Mallette
Posted: Saturday, April 7, 2012 5:21 PM

Thanks for rising to my defense, Carl! As for my coyness in naming Jay, I wasn't really trying to start a discussion about that specific review or that specific reviewer, but just to use my reaction as an example of how the star system can derail the effectiveness of a review if the reviewed author doesn't know the reviewer's philosophy with regard to stars. I didn't think Jay would mind being used as an example, but I also didn't want to sound like I was gossiping about or bad-mouthing him, because he really was helpful, despite rubbing me rather briskly the wrong way.
Carl E Reed
Posted: Saturday, April 7, 2012 5:46 PM

@Herb: Not at all! I suspect Jay loves this (if he's reading this thread). He's a formidable, fearsome and respected (by me, anyway; the man knows his shit and knows exactly what he thinks about it) presence on this site and believe me he's no wilting wall-flower. If he wants to chime in here he'll come rocket-blasting down on ten-ton space boots and kick all our asses, heh!  

Now, about your book's opening. Here's the thing: I get what you're trying to do--establish the fact that the character has a musician's knowledge of the difference between harps and lyres--but you haven't done it. (I'm equally as irritated by Jay pretending that he doesn't know what you're trying to do there.)

Here's what I would advise: You've got to extend that bit to make it work: "He noticed it wasn't a harp but a lyre--the blank of the blank, the way the something verbed and verbed, the adjective blank of the blank." I know nothing of these differences but you do; your character does--so if you're going to convince me, the reader, of that fact you're going to have to give me telling details that show, not merely tell, me those facts. 

Personally, I'd argue with you over "stately" as opposed to "ancient". Yes, someone told him this but who cares? If you describe the woman properly (use the adjective on her there, perhaps, as description) and then show us that he's noticing the differences between a lyre and harp I get what you're trying to do. But once you've pulled-in tight to 3rd-person limited you've got to stay there for the duration of the scene; you can't be whip-sawing between omni and limited, you know?  

And btw: spirited discussion and the occasional heatedly-argued creative difference is good for this site (IMHO); it keeps everyone awake and alert and on their toes. Notice how Kevin caught that switch between "I'm being critiqued" and "the work" is being critiqued in your rankings? The guy's sharp but that doesn't mean I always agree with him--any more than I always agree with Tom W., or Angela, or GD, or Atthys, or Mimi, or anyone else here for that matter.

What's most important, I think, is that working writers hear a diversity of opinions and argument on their work. Many times an epiphany or further artistic breakthrough is just another clarified statement, elaborated discussion or hotly-argued assertion away . . . 

Herb Mallette
Posted: Saturday, April 7, 2012 6:23 PM

Actually, I was trying to demonstrate that he has a pedant's knowledge of the distinction between a lyre and a harp, not a musician's. Apparently that still needs some work.

I don't actually know what you mean by whip-sawing between omni and limited. I don't see anything in the scene that is outside of Weston's ability to perceive and understand. To me, the whole thing is third-person limited. Do you mean that I'm being inconsistent along the objective/subjective axis rather than the omniscient/limited axis?
Jay Greenstein
Posted: Saturday, April 7, 2012 11:22 PM

• For one thing he champions a strict 3rd-person limited POV;

Nonsense. One of my published works is a first person novel. How could I be against various points of view? What I'm against is the author standing on stage, alone, telling the reader what just happened in the film they're watching in their head. It’s having no POV that I’m against.

In school we don't learn about POV, tag usage, managing dialog, scene goals, or much else about writing fiction—including the fact that it's different from writing a report. So virtually every single new writer uses the identical approach—the author-centric fact-based compositional techniques we learn before high school graduation. If you mention that the average new writer you get a blank look.

As far as I'm concerned the comments on a given work are gold, but the star ratings are useless. Unless you're a publisher, editor or agent, someone responding can only give a personal: "this is how much I liked it." But they may be praising the very thing that keeps their own work from selling. Their sincerity and dedication isn’t in question, but the rating is subjective, and no two reviewers will apply the same scale.

There is an axiom in the publishing business: “unjustified praise results in unjustified submissions.” Present ten serious problems in a critique, but end it with a meaningless, “With work, though, this could be a winner,” and the writer will take only one thing from the critique.” “He liked it.”

Readers are always useful, because a comment means there was a “lump in the prose,” Be their comments accurate or not. The stars? Meaningless.

But that’s neither here nor there. The gentleman posted his work and asked for critique in the fantasy thread. I stand by both my comments and my star rating, because, as I see it the work has significant  problems that permeate it, and would cause a rejection, for the reasons given.

In response, rather than coming to me and perhaps discussing the issues, he’s turned this into a, “Let’s put Jay Greenstein on trial,” thread. That's not even remotely what this site is about, and cannot accomplish anything but to change the tone of the discussion to focus on the messenger rather than the message.

If a moderator reads this, my personal suggestion is to delete everything posted so far as this discussion. I won’t respond further.

Herb Mallette
Posted: Sunday, April 8, 2012 12:54 AM

I'm really sorry you feel like I put you on trial, Jay, but I thought I did everything possible to make it clear that I wasn't trying to do anything of the sort. In every one of my posts, I indicated that your advice included solid analysis and had been useful to me; I didn't name you myself; and when your name did come up, I went so far as to say, "I also didn't want to sound like I was gossipping about or bad-mouthing him, because he really was helpful." 

If it's truly your wish that this part of the thread be removed, then I second that recommendation to the moderators, with deepest apologies for assuming that you wouldn't mind me using my experience with your review to make a point I thought was germane to this thread. Despite your last sentence, though, I do hope you'll respond, as I think there's been some worthwhile discussion here and I would hate to see it chopped.
Carl E Reed
Posted: Sunday, April 8, 2012 1:05 AM

Welcome to the party, Jay! I was hoping you'd join the discussion.

And btw: I hope that Book Country rules in favor of working writers on this site openly and honestly (yes, sometimes even heatedly and argumentatively) discussing another reviewer's particular review or over-all review style and tone.

If I offended you, I apologize. That wasn't my intention. I praised you for your "fearlessly forthright" criticism while criticizing those aspects of your feedback style that I disagree with. It seems silly to me to dance around the fact that we’re talking about your review without ever once naming you or calling attention to the review under discussion. And I believe I made it clear that I regard you as a force to be reckoned with on this site, an intelligent and accomplished critical voice that needs to be listened to and carefully considered. (But also once in awhile, challenged and counter-critiqued—as I expect my own writing and opinions to be.)

But I also count on you—and others engaged in this thread—to bring a sense of humor as well as a critical, all-seeing eye to the process of critiquing and discussing other's writings. If I crossed the line with anything I’ve said here I take the responsibility and the full blame and again apologize; the fault is entirely my own and not Herb’s. I’d intended to be comical not incendiary; I’d hoped to wring a wry smile and perhaps a chuckle or two out of you but my own damnable faults and failings as a prose stylist wrought the very opposite effect. Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

A final thought: There are thousands upon thousands of accomplished, veteran readers out there capable of providing helpful feedback to working writers. (I hope we hear from more of them.) Some of these are expert critics, a few—a very select, empathetic and good-humored few—will transcend the status of mere critic to become mentors, capable of encouraging and energizing their reviewed writers even as they critique them.

I see you as a mentor who could be more effective, Jay, with just a tweak or two to your personal review style. And if that offends and angers you again, then I apologize again—unreservedly and without sarcasm, with the maximum of intended respect and salutary acknowledgment of your considerable reading, writing and reviewing skills.

Salute!

Jay Greenstein
Posted: Sunday, April 8, 2012 11:18 AM

And btw: I hope that Book Country rules in favor of working writers on this site openly and honestly (yes, sometimes even heatedly and argumentatively) discussing another reviewer's particular review or over-all review style and tone.

You miss the point, I think. The moment the discussion turns from the writing to a given person and their fitness to comment—and your opinion of them—rather than the writing that’s being commented on, the tone of the group changes, and people feel obligated to defend themselves. Personally, I don’t care what people think of me. It’s the writing, and the writer’s understanding of the process that matters. I see too many people trapped at an entry level by a lack of professional knowledge and an inability to separate a comment on the writing from a comment on themselves and their worth as a writer, being encouraged to be remain ignorant by well meaning but equally ignorant writers. But that’s me, and everyone is different.

I've watched this sort of thing destroy the old AOL Writers Club. The MySpace forums were chopped from the site for the same reason. People begin to choose sides, both from conviction and a desire not to be attacked, and heated discussion easily becomes personal, which attracts in an element who's more interested in playing, "I've got you now, you son-of-a-bitch," than becoming a better writer, or simply socializing with like-minded others.

An online forum is a democracy, in the sense that majority actually rules the discussion and determines what's accepted a "right." What that means, in practice, is that bad decisions by the majority will increase the odds of another bad decision because others with the same view will be attracted to the discussion, while those who hold the opposing view will, more and more, be shouted down.

Make no mistake. In the kingdom of the blind the one-eyed man is not king, he’s vilified and driven out. Humanity is thoroughly bedded in, “Me, my mate, my bandy-legged little Hessians, my friends, and then the rest of the world—in that order. And "I wanna," as always, trumps, "But look here," because the discussion is emotion not fact based.

That doesn’t say that my interpretation of what the writing teachers have to say is accurate, or even desirable. My lack of success in attracting a mainstream publisher shouts that I’m far from expert. But over the years, those views and my ability to identify problems—the ability you commented on positively, have made me the focus of too many arguments, and I respect this site too much to want that to happen here.

People often forget that you learn nothing from people who agree with you.

And now I’m off to build some bedrooms in my daughter’s attic.

Herb Mallette
Posted: Sunday, April 8, 2012 1:49 PM

Hi, Jay, very glad you decided to continue participating.

*The moment the discussion turns from the writing to a given person and their fitness to comment—and your opinion of them—rather than the writing that’s being commented on ...

If anything I wrote came across as denigrating you as a person or maligning your fitness to comment, let me apologize profusely. My entire point was that your comments were both accurate and useful, and that you appeared to have a clear intent to help, but that elements of the writing in question (which is to say, your review) reduced its effectiveness in reaching its intended audience (which is to say, me).

It is a fact that the emotional cloud that threatened to obscure your message arose on my side of the reviewer/reviewee interaction. But it's also a fact that the raising of those emotional clouds is an entirely predictable phenomenon -- just as it is entirely predictable that many readers will be turned off by trivial details and authorial intrusions. You're not obligated to modify your review-writing style to accommodate that phenomenon any more than I am obligated to modify my writing style to accommodate the phenomenon you pointed out to me.

But I certainly learned something by making the effort to absorb your review, and I think it will make me more effective in reaching my intended audience.

Are you really so sure that your reviewing approach is unimprovable with respect to reaching yours?

Carl E Reed
Posted: Sunday, April 8, 2012 3:31 PM

Very well said indeed, Jay. I hear you loud and clear. I think we all do; I suspect most of us share your concerns. We are a fragile, sometimes contentious but earnest and serious-minded community of working writers and editors (for the most part). My own personal style is to lighten and leaven that serious-minded intent and daily writing workload with near-constant humorous asides, non-sequiturs and pithy (or surreal) observations.

I knew there had to be a warmer, funnier, more . . . well, humanistic and likable side of you that we weren't seeing. It's been there in the subtext all along; flashes of it in your discussion thread postings and reviews—a droll, sly sense of humor that I wanted to hear more of. I used Herb's posting to poke at you a bit, characterizing you as "the heavy" for my (and what I'd hoped was your own) amusement, hoping you'd take the bait and get involved in this discussion thread. Which you did. But in retrospect the way I did it was naive, jejune and presumptuous—if not preposterous—I turned you into a caricature and that was wrong. I should have sought your permission or known you better before I poked fun at you like that (and us; at least half the target of my intended humor there was us).

What's that old expression? "Disagreements and misunderstandings between people are inevitable, given human nature; what isn't inevitable is that every disagreement and/or misunderstanding need end in ever-lasting acrimony and bitterness." Well, that’s my old expression . . .

Truth is, it used to irk me to see someone—or someone(s)—red-thumbing almost all of your review and discussion-thread comments awhile back. That was unfair and unsportsmanlike, I felt then and still feel now.

Yet at one and the same, I think there's some validity and justification for some of the comments I (and others, here and elsewhere) made regarding various under-discussion topics as well. The old saw: "Even a broken clock is right twice a day" perhaps applies here . . .

I'm very glad you joined the discussion. Talking about different review styles on Book Country without the input of Jay Greenstein would be like the UN convening a super-power conference and having every country in the world show up but China . . .

And I have to say that I hope you keep being you, Jay: "fearlessly forthright", to use Mimi's term; dogged and dogmatic and deconstructive. I—and I think most of us—wouldn't have it any other way. Well, perhaps with a tweak or two . . . Heh!

Hope the bedroom building went well. Truly! But . . . how do you get all that work done dressed in that Darth Vader costume?

PS. Re: “You learn nothing from people who agree with you.” Really?! I would note that there are a number of people I interact with in-person on a daily basis who are simpatico and “of-a-mind” on matters aesthetic, political and philosophical. This doesn’t mean, however, that we’re simply engaging in mindless “group-think” or providing an audience of mutually-appreciative nodding-heads for one another; rather we engage in almost constant conversation and disputation, endlessly interrogating the meaning, import and relevance of the topics and matters that most concern and engage our interest. Doesn't the same apply to you?    

Michael R Hagan
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2013 3:12 PM

RE: Last sentiment.

Well, if I'm honest, we usually discuss the weather
Perry Tercel
Posted: Monday, June 3, 2013 11:10 PM
So, okay, I got to post 50 out of 130 and it was way off subject, of course. 'That never happens!' But, just to answer the original question:

I agree with giving an *honest review. I don't know if that's supposed to be brutally blunt (and I said, 'be brutally kind', BTW) or all flowers and candy and "I hope you respect me, tomorrow!", but I definitely ascribe to *honest. (Sorry. I don't know 'zactly how to do that there 'Italians' thing with the words or underwearliners when on this here site. 'Red necks only know what's ness-sary when it's ness-sary. And if you kin do without it, it don't matter, no how, in the sicond place, ni-ther.')

I want to say, in my reviews, that I don't know everything, either. I'm not a 'Hot Dog'; I'm a little wienie just like you. But I know if I like something and I will say what I like. I'll tell you what (I can) see is wrong and try to give an example; a remedy; a conclusion that I hope will help you. (As I continue here) I want to catch the author off guard with, (hopefully) some humorous 'left-fielders', and, yet, try to insert the critique into that. Hurting someone doesn't usually help them. That 'pride' thing gets in the way. (Especially when your dealing with the (his/her) story -that's their baby!) From the brief time I've been here, I've seen the same results Every Time: (you can use this for stats) Most are offended and put off at the get-go. (no, not Yours Truly; never!) 'You do not understand me or where I've been'... (a writer writes what he knows); 'You misunderstand my stand; my intentions'. (Maybe there should be another review factor: What exactly are you writing for and why. Oh yeah... fame, fortune, and because I was always told I was a writer...and it could go on and on   ...Sort of like what I'm doing here, all brain-crashed and blind.) When we say we're just being honest, often, is taken in the wrong direction, from both sides. A blunt, no-holds barred review leads to a retaliatory all-teeth bared comment. No one wants to be hurt. (And words, when they hit you just right, can last a life-time for most -don't try to say that isn't true. 'I'll never forget what so-and-so said. I forgive them, but I'll never forget.'   ...Sound familiar?) I think, with honesty, we should apply it to ourselves, first. Are we sincerely wanting to help or are we just doing it to 'get it out of the way'? ('Cuz it looked like a good story) and then we saw how bad the writing is or something else that puts us off. Don't review angry. Just close the page. Move on. (I won't do that, though. I like giving my time to others. It's some kind of 'in-bred' thing, I guess.) To sum it up, as if I have that capability, I figure that's the entire reason for BC. To help each other achieve the very best in our writing and, even more importantly, ourselves.
Okay. I have no idea what I just said here... only got three hours sleep, last night, and, though I act like one; I ain't no teen-ager.
BTW: The weather, nowadays, can lead to contestations, Mr. Hagan. There's that big 'global warming' thing. Face it: Nothing is safe.
Michael R Hagan
Posted: Tuesday, June 4, 2013 7:31 PM

Hey Perry
Oh, I've been named...fame at last!
I'd love to come back with a witty retort, but I've read the last comment, in full, three times and can't think of anything to say... I think that's because I read the last comment, in full, three times and still have no idea what you just said.
I'm going to deprive myself of sleep for a couple of days; maybe three, and then read it again to see if it all becomes clear to me then.
All the best,
Mike

Alantis
Posted: Tuesday, June 4, 2013 11:35 PM

Thanks for sending me here Mimi, another great topic to go for. And boy can I say a few things here;

From an author's stand point, reconcile views, dismiss opposing? Let's be honest, when you get a review you don't like, we (at least I do and I bet alot of you too) first get that kicked in the chest feeling. "Aww man, that was brutal." Then comes the disappointment. Next we dance around the room cussing at the screen, using language that would make a sailor blush and cover his/her ears. Finally, we try to be polite and either defend our work (cuz obviously the reader just didn't get it) or we simply say "Thanks for the review, I will take a look at...."

Here is the truth, when it is all said and done, do you think that everyone loves every title that hits the New York Time's Bestseller's List? Hell no. For everyone who likes and buys the book, there is at least one who doesn't. You cannot please all the people all the time. PERIOD.

For myself, I try to take the reviews in stride (after all the steps above happen). I look at what is said, then see if it doesn't get resolved in later chapters. Or I read their profiles and see if they like the genre, or are just reviewing for reviews sake. And lastly, I consider if it is something I have heard from others, or even if it has been nagging at me. Then, and only then, does it matter.

And the reviewing, well if you are reviewing cuz you need 3, then nothing you say will probably matter. But it was pointed out to me when I first got here, put what you like in with what you don't like about the book (RJBlaine). Usually for me, it is alot of negative, with just a bit of good, but sometimes it balances out. Maybe it even comes out like I am coddling the author...but make no mistake, I am showing what I find wrong with the book (but I consider myself a "humble scribbler" and not an author, not sure I am qualified to review). BUT, I know what I like to read, and what makes me not want to read a book. And if it totally sucked, I think I would have to say it.

I think the main point, for me is, something I have heard all my life. "If you break someone down, it is also your job to help them back up." Take that to mean what you will, but if all you want to do is break an author and send them packing, maybe you should look at why you are here. I mean, usually, when you have to cheapen every one around you, then you are small yourself.

Really it all comes down to what you hope to achieve. Do you want to help, and get help, from other author's? Or do you want to make friends and for the whole site to like you? Or do you want an honest opinion about your writing? You will get what you give. Just remember the earlier quote, you can't please all the people all the time.

Really it all boils down to this for me; My friends and family will always tell me what I want to hear, so for that, I can just ask them. If I want to hear the real truth, I come to sites like this. If you don't want the truth, then get out of the public eye. Let your chapters remain a folder on your computer.

Closing, "Can't we all just get along?" (Rodney King)

"I get knocked down, but I get up again." (Some rap song, and I am almost embarassed I wrote that)

Michael R Hagan
Posted: Wednesday, June 5, 2013 3:02 AM

That last one is Chumbawumba. No embarassment deserved; excellent song.
Perry Tercel
Posted: Wednesday, June 5, 2013 10:18 AM
AMEN A.!!!!
Couldn't, and didn't, say it better myself.

...and Mr. Mike,
I believe it was your duty to point out that, sometimes,  (actually, 'sometimes' may be an understatement)  I'm just too 'cryptic' for my own good.  (Or anyone else's.)

I was trying to say, there's no safe topic; not even the weather. Perhaps it is I, sir,  (and I, assuredly, doubt this not)  misunderstood the intention of your comment. My sincere apology...

By the way, how's the weather?
Just get some sleep, bra...........zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Mimi Speike
Posted: Wednesday, June 5, 2013 11:40 AM

Hey, Mike. As you can see, I've wandered back over here, thanks to Perry and Alantis, who have made here a lot more interesting.

I will get to your stage two thing on Bookkus shortly, but, in general, those deadlines are starting to wear me out. And, like I told you (was it you?) I'm starting to feel like the Wicked Witch of the West.

I think the reason DocTom scolded me for being too literal is that I made the same doesn't make sense to me noises about his entry, and he foresees rough seas ahead. But, as I did with Dream Caster, I will bow to the general consensus.

I will zip my lip, after I speak my mind, of course.  Just in case, down the line, he may wake up one morning and say, Hmmm ... maybe she's right about that. This fellow could do with more clarity, etc., etc.

I think constantly about my own reviews. I won't say that they keep me up at night, but they definitely haunt my dreams.

Michael R Hagan
Posted: Wednesday, June 5, 2013 4:36 PM

Hey Mimi
No worries... as always, have a look when you feel like it; when you have time; if you have time. Like I said before,I don't want to be thought of as the persistently growing grass that needs tended to.
BTW I think about 90% of the activity on this site is now on your discussion threads... I'm late in joining the party.
Perry, Howya do'in. I was just laughing as (as you mentioned) you were pretty blatantly suffering from sleep deprivation 6 comments back.

Oh yea...my 'weather' reference was just put in as Carl's previous comment finished with such high-brow, intellectual prose regarding the social interactions enjoyed by people obviously more intellectual than I... I just had to play.
Got no thumbs up, so nobody else must have thought it the slightest bit amusing... but then sometimes we just write for ourselves.
It amused me...
It doesn't take much to amuse me.

P.S. No idea what you're apologising for, but I'm very sorry too.
Mike
Mimi Speike
Posted: Wednesday, June 5, 2013 5:46 PM

I've noticed that, Michael. And that's all because of Perry and Alantis. Man! I've seen lulls here before, but never like this. 

My husband says, of the news sites he comments on, that all the folks he followed when he first joined are gone, moved on, I suppose, to greener pastures.

Is that's what's happened here? I hope not.

Alantis
Posted: Wednesday, June 5, 2013 7:30 PM

Sure Mimi, blame it all on me and my cohort. Simply because we came kicking and screaming like children throwing a tempur tantrum at the store. We won't be ignored.
Hey Michael - Welcome to our insane world of make believe, where anything goes, and everything is the norm around here.

I am thankful to have aroused the "Wicked Witch of the West" from under the house. She has been a willy, and down right interesting, specimen to play this game with. You will have fun Michael. May not get as much writing done, but I promise there will not be a dull moment.

Onto other threads to stir up some dust.....
Perry Tercel
Posted: Wednesday, June 5, 2013 9:56 PM

Wait; what?
Hmmm... thought I heard my ears ringing.

Mimi- we ain't so crazy we're a-scarrin' everone away, d'ya think?

Mimi Speike
Posted: Wednesday, June 5, 2013 10:58 PM

You guys are the best. I'm so glad you're here.

I'm not feeling so hot right now. My feet hurt. That's the pits cause I'm a manic gardener. Is it old age? It came on about three months ago. I'm about to break down and see a specialist.

You two really lift my spirits. Thank you so much.

Alantis
Posted: Thursday, June 6, 2013 9:33 AM

Sorry to hear about the feet Mimi. I recommend not using them to get your point across when yelling at people. The other option would be to sit more and have a loved one close to you *hmph - husband - cough* rub them and see if that helps?

Yeah I am liking some of the stuff around here, reading others books, skipping through the different old threads, a couple people I have met, but this place, for the population it bosts, and all the chatty old threads, it is either dead, or in it's death throws. Cuz short of "I got my 826 words" I haven't found a chat running. (And no offence to those doing the challenge, I wish you the best and admire the discipline)

MAYBE, I will jump around over the next couple of days, giving some scathing reviews, and see if that doesn't get some attention? Hmmmm, new plot twist here "Wicked Witch"? Should we breed contempt, and outright hatred, for ourselves? I mean, if they don't talk to us anyway, what am I truely losing?

Mimi Speike
Posted: Thursday, June 6, 2013 10:52 AM

Well, I have to agree with you. Maybe when the changes and updates are in place, due sometime soon, things will pick up.

Maybe these sites have a shelf life. Maybe they're all no more than an easy distraction. You screw around for a while, but you eventually decide to buckle down and write.

I have thought of suggesting that you start some topics. I thought of one myself, but I don't have the nerve (hard to believe, eh?) to put it up: The Summer Slacker-Writers' Club Hangout.

Alantis
Posted: Thursday, June 6, 2013 11:51 AM

Done Mimi - so you'd better stop in and go crazy with me. I am feeling exceptionally sidetracked from my book. Not sure what the heck, cuz I have alot of things going on that front. Just not into it these last couple of days. I did redo my first chapter, hoping to address the POV people mentioned in their reviews. See if that gets some better critiques.

Slacker's till I die!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perry Tercel
Posted: Thursday, June 6, 2013 12:36 PM
I 'thunked' about it and thought a writing game might be interesting, funny, and challenging. We could start a story off and then another would add to it, in their style of 'pen', and so on. Sort of like those drunken nights around the campfire atop Cottonwood Trail...or any place familiar in your own reverie. Except its not mandatory to be drunk to do this. (Although it might be more interesting...)

I know its a tad immature, but I think it could be a good social activity -not to mention picking up some writing technique from those who have what others need. (That's my goal.) They don't need to write much, unless they want...What ya'll think?

(I was intimidated, at first, thinking I wasn't allowed to barge in. Or, better yet, that "you" chaps would be too 'way over my head' and tell me to crawl back in me hole. Glad I found that one thread, Mimi, and you were so sweet to take 'this-un' in.)

So, off to the races.... gotta get my Personal Assistant work done.
Later days.
Alantis
Posted: Thursday, June 6, 2013 1:19 PM

Sorry Perry, I discussed it with the committee in my head, and after a much spirited debate, a few even stormed out and fell onto my shoulder, it was decided that you should just crawl back in ye hole.

HAHA, hope that got ya smiling. I am game. I am not sure how much interest you will generate with the others on the site, but count me in.

Ummm, do we get to split the profits if it turns out good enough to publish, or is this some sly scheme to get something published under your name without really doing alot of work? Have to ask.

(Another attempt at humor for those that may not know me yet)

Mimi Speike
Posted: Thursday, June 6, 2013 2:01 PM

I’m in!

How about this? You know that It Was a Dark and Stormy Night contest, held every year at some university, in California, I believe? Worst opening paragraph?

We each write a first paragraph. A winner is chosen. Then, we take turns building on it. 

BTW, I’m with Hemingway: Write drunk, edit sober. 

Michael R Hagan
Posted: Thursday, June 6, 2013 2:51 PM

Not to reinforce stereotypes, but as a proud Irishman I'll be writing lots then, but someone else will have to edit.

Just kidding.................................................................................................................................. I'm not proud.
Michael R Hagan
Posted: Thursday, June 6, 2013 2:55 PM

On a serious note though... Where has everybody gone?
I've read a few books recently, starting with the premise that someone/some family wakes up/returns from a trip away from habitation, to find everyone is missing/dead.
Is something spooky going on with members of BC?
Mimi Speike
Posted: Thursday, June 6, 2013 4:20 PM

Michael, I've been wondering the same thing. Has the party moved on, and nobody remembered to tell us?

I've been here a year and a half now, and I've never seen it this slow. The only thing I can think of is, everyone's finally decided to cut the crap and get serious.

I, obviously, am not yet at that point.

Alantis
Posted: Thursday, June 6, 2013 5:11 PM

HAHAHA...I obviously am not at that point yet either. Mainly cuz I try and never get serious. I think of court rooms or funeral parlors when I think of getting serious about anything.

Michael - everyone keeps telling me about how it is unusually slow, but I don't know it being any other way. I have shaken the threads, and posted reviews, in an attempt to get something going. Mimi and Perry are the only two I shook free. Well and you now.

I did start that slackers thread like Mimi suggested, and I got two more people to come out of the woodwork. So I think they really are having a party without us (makes me mad, cuz I like to drink too) or they have just moved on. Either way, I don't need a house full of people to party. The less people around, the more I get to drink.

Mimi - On the opening paragraph, so what, we say 2 days and see what we get? There are others on the Slacker's thread we may be able to draw in as well. Heck, it may just rally some people to join our little gang...

Mimi Speike
Posted: Thursday, June 6, 2013 6:43 PM

How about you give us the weekend? I've thought for years about entering that Stormy Night contest. That's as far as I got, thinking about it. So I want to create something spectacularly bad. Breathtakingly bonkers.

I aim to outdo Amanda McKittrick Ros. (See my thread, I Love This: The Worst Novelist in History.)

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Thursday, June 6, 2013 8:32 PM

I would totally do a Dark and Stormy Night contest. I would love to write the worst opening paragraph ever.

As for members, I just got an email from Angela. Life just caught up with her. She hopes to be participating again soon. And from the other members I follow on twitter. I'm pretty sure we'll get more activity once the Summer Camp is over. A lot of them are taking it very seriously. Well, as serious as BC writers take things.

I also agree that the site should pick up after the overhaul is over. So many of us want to see what's going to happen.
Alantis
Posted: Thursday, June 6, 2013 8:42 PM

Okay, I am going to love this. Start preparing your intro, I am just waiting for Mimi to give me some guidelines. I think we should move it to the The Summer's Slackers - Writers Club Hangout, becuase it seems a better spot to go, but I am waiting for Mimi.......She will rise from under the house soon, and we will see. And it was Perry's idea, so feel free to chime in fellow cohort. Who needs a Mimi anywhose?
Mimi Speike
Posted: Thursday, June 6, 2013 9:17 PM

Maybe we should leave the Summer Slackers for, like Carl said, the writing you can't make headway on.

Maybe we (i.e, you) should start a thread for the contest by itself.

Perry, what do you think? It might get awfully confusing with miscellaneous matters being discussed in between installments of the whatever-it-turns-out-to-be. 

Yes, this is a lark, but I'm going to take it very seriously. I'm going to get deep into the style of the inimitable Amanda (aka Anna) McKittrick Ros.

I figure this may be the start of a whole new project for me. The first new-from-nothing start in, oh, two decades at least. Everything I have, (I have pieces even more difficult that what I've shown so far) I've been working on for twenty years or more.

Pretty pathetic, huh?

Alantis
Posted: Thursday, June 6, 2013 9:51 PM

Okay...if I don't see the thread up by tomorrow, then I will start it.

Perry, you got like 15 hours dude, then we proceed without you.

DONE DEAL!!!!!!!!!!

Jump to different Forum...