RSS Feed Print
Give the Gift of Feedback Review Challenge!
Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager
Posted: Tuesday, December 2, 2014 10:03 AM

'Tis the season for gifting! What better gift to give a writer than detailed, honest, and constructive feedback on their work-in-progress?

That's why we're launching a new challenge this month: Give the Gift of Feedback! Pledge to review four books on Book Country this month, and give your writing community the feedback they need to make their books better in the new year.

How does it work?

1. Make your pledge below!
  2. Throughout the month of December, review four Book Country books (one for each week of the month). Find books via other members who've taken the pledge below, browse this month's Featured Manuscripts, or explore the Book Country Genre Map to find books in the genres you love!
  3. Read and review at least three chapters of the work-in-progress.
  4. Remember, you can save your review for later. Just don't forget to post it by New Year's Eve, or you won't have won the challenge!
  5. Support others who've taken the pledge--connect with them on Book Country and social media, comment on their review with thanks, comments, and questions, and return the gift of feedback by reviewing their book!
  6. Share the feedback you are giving or receiving on social media by using the hashtag #GiftofWritingFeedback. We'll cheer you on!

Happy reviewing--and thank YOU for giving the gift of writing feedback to your community!

Questions? Email us at support@BookCountry.com.

Jean Marie
Posted: Tuesday, December 2, 2014 10:13 AM

I think this is a great idea Lucy, and I look forward to participating

Thanks for the clarification on how much needs to be read prior to reviewing. Somewhat more than a paragraph to give an overall opinion of a WIP.

Posted: Tuesday, December 2, 2014 10:59 AM

Awesome--thanks for participating, Jean Marie!

I am taking the pledge to do this challenge as well!

Amber Wolfe
Posted: Tuesday, December 2, 2014 12:32 PM

All right, I'll join in. Anyone who wants a WIP checked out, write it down here. Meanwhile, I'll scan the site myself for works to review.

Here's the one I want reviewed the most: Destiny's Bond. I uploaded a completely new version about a week ago. The entire first half is different. Thoughts on it would be greathappy.

This is the link: http://www.bookcountry.com/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=7289

Happy Writing!

--edited by Amber Wolfe on 12/2/2014, 12:42 PM--

DCLabs
Posted: Tuesday, December 2, 2014 3:00 PM

Count me in!  It's been a while since I've done some peer reviews and it's high time I did so.  Four reviews isn't much for a whole month!
Margaret Morse
Posted: Tuesday, December 2, 2014 3:56 PM

I would like to participate.

Anyone anxious for a review, let me know.

Zach Heher
Posted: Tuesday, December 2, 2014 4:43 PM
Heck, I'll give it a shot. I'll even post a story sometime for everyone to review.
Janet Umenta, Book Country Assistant
Posted: Tuesday, December 2, 2014 5:20 PM

I'm excited for the challenge! Posted my first review for December.
Cathie Whitmore
Posted: Tuesday, December 2, 2014 5:29 PM

I would love to be part of The Gift of Writing Feedback, but would like authors to help me out with my reading choices. I love to read, but I only enjoy reading certain genres. My preferred genre is romance, but I don't like the soppy kind. I want something with humor and intrigue and a plot that moves quickly. I guess I am looking for a novel that's more like a movie, as I don't like books bogged down with unnecessary description. My novel Piece by Piece fits into this category, and at times it has been said I move the story along too quickly. However, that's how I like to write and read. Keep it moving to a degree I can't put it down.  That's the book for me.

I am keen to hear from author's who have something right up my alley. If you can make me laugh, make me cry and entertain me from cover to cover, I'm the one to review your book.

Mimi Speike
Posted: Tuesday, December 2, 2014 6:01 PM

Lucy, how about setting up a thread: Pitch Here.

In one convenient spot, a place to rummage through 200+/- word pitches, a bit about plot, a sample of thinking and style, etc. I read first and foremost for the prose style, and hope that the plot will wow me also. If I admire the way you use language, I will definitely read you.

I will try to do four reviews. One of them has to be on another site, already promised. But since it's for Michael Hagan, and he is a member here, I say that counts as a review here. The second has to be someone else here I've already promised. That leaves two wild cards.

--edited by Mimi Speike on 12/2/2014, 10:58 PM--

RCGravelle
Posted: Tuesday, December 2, 2014 6:48 PM

I want to participate, so I'm pledging my reviews now.
D J Lutz
Posted: Tuesday, December 2, 2014 7:27 PM
I'm in!
Jayden Abello
Posted: Tuesday, December 2, 2014 9:39 PM

Great idea! Count me in happy
Amber Wolfe
Posted: Tuesday, December 2, 2014 10:44 PM
Just finished my review of the week: did three chapters just like I'm suppose to. One down, three to go. Yay!
Sherrie Petersen
Posted: Tuesday, December 2, 2014 11:22 PM

Love this idea – thanks, Lucy!
C.M. Rivers
Posted: Wednesday, December 3, 2014 8:33 AM

Great idea, I'm in!
Marie Flint
Posted: Wednesday, December 3, 2014 9:29 AM

I'm definitely interested in participating in this because my first ebook attempt when completely unnoticed for months and months. I finally deleting it. I don't want this to happen to first-time writers here at Book Country. Happy Writing and a blessed holiday season!
newbernejl
Posted: Wednesday, December 3, 2014 10:42 AM

Hello lovely pledgers! I would love to take on this worthy challenge!

I will be uploading my works-in-progress soon; these include Godly Parcel, a Christian YA novel that tells the story of Elizabeth Jesuitson, a girl who receives a letter from God; a few chapters of Typing Through the Grapevine, a mystery novel that takes place in London; as well as a few poems I'd like to submit to contests or publications this month.

Thank you all so much for your help and commitment to this great project. I'm excited to get started! happy

Happy Reviewing,

Jessica Newberne

newbernejl@hollins.edu

@newbernejl

--edited by newbernejl on 12/3/2014, 10:49 AM--

Jean Marie
Posted: Wednesday, December 3, 2014 10:53 AM

You're welcome Lucy!

I think it's a fantastic idea, and I'm thrilled that so many are jumping on-board. 'Tis the season, as they say

I'm finding a tiny glitch, at this very moment.  I, literally just finished reviewing 3 chapters, and it's still loading?  What should I do?  Let it sit there in the "Please wait," mode, or click on Post review, again?

Thanks.

Never mind Lucy, I backed up the browser, and the review did go up.  For some reason, it was stuck in the wait mode even though it had already posted.  Weird.  A Twilight Zone thing, I suppose.

One review down, and 3 to go

--edited by Jean Marie on 12/3/2014, 11:02 AM--

Posted: Wednesday, December 3, 2014 1:15 PM

So awesome to see you folks joining in the challenge! Well done!

Jean Marie-- I saw you just posted a review for SCREAM FOR HIM--was this the one that wasn't loading?

Jean Marie
Posted: Wednesday, December 3, 2014 1:21 PM

That's the one Lucy.  It went on forever, but it did load, even though it indicated it wasn't.  So annoying when inanimate objects mess with me like that
Posted: Wednesday, December 3, 2014 1:33 PM

Hehe. Glad it hear it worked!
Jean Marie
Posted: Wednesday, December 3, 2014 1:37 PM

Me too, b/c if it had begun to squeak, I would have had gladly turned it over to my Lab.  He would have fixed it
Amber Wolfe
Posted: Wednesday, December 3, 2014 2:20 PM
Hey, that happens with me a lot--the screen staying on 'Please Wait' when I'm trying to post a review. Figured it's just because my internet's slow. Especially since when I go to my Profile I find that it says I've reviewed the book. Ah, well. The hazards of dial-up.
Posted: Wednesday, December 3, 2014 4:51 PM

To answer Mimi's question above, I think that if you are looking for something to review during the challenge, how about start with folks who've also signed up for the challenge? It's not a mandatory part of the challenge, but it's a great way to give back to other folks who're similarly inclined to help the community and give feedback.

To that end, if you sign up and want folks to review, feel free to add a sentence or two (with a link please) to your own work! Can't hurt!

I'm using the challenge as a chance to catch up on my Book Country to-read books--last night I did a review for Tim Gordon's FINLEY, which has been up for a while. It's got a ton of great stuff going for it--so glad I checked it out!

ElenaK
Posted: Wednesday, December 3, 2014 8:21 PM

I'm in!  This is a great idea.

Alex Rosa
Posted: Thursday, December 4, 2014 12:10 PM

I love this idea! Count me in! ^_^

You'll be seeing my tweets coming in and reviews popping up this month!

Jean Marie
Posted: Friday, December 5, 2014 11:07 AM

It's not just dial-up Amber, as you can see.  So don't feel badly.  The back browsing seemed to do the trick, although I'm not sure that's a solid suggestion?

*Waves to Alex*

AlysArden
Posted: Friday, December 5, 2014 11:07 AM

I love this idea!

I am in! biggrin

Cathie Whitmore
Posted: Friday, December 5, 2014 4:29 PM

Here is the link to my novel Piece by Piece

http://www.bookcountry.com/search/default.aspx?q=Piece+by+Piece&st=Book&p=1

Since posting this story a few months back, I have not as yet had anyone review it and I'm not sure why as a few people have read it. Now we have pledged to give the gift of feedback, I'm hoping my luck will change. I am happy to review for other authors, but feel more at home reviewing in my own genre. I'm not really sure what genre my novel comes under as it is a mix of romance, drama, comedy and sex. It's filled with emotion and real life situations we all can identify with.

Amber Wolfe
Posted: Friday, December 5, 2014 7:29 PM

Hi, Cathie. This is Amber. I'll take a look at your WIP for you. If you'd check out my Epic Fantasy, Destiny's Bond, as reciprocation that'd be great (though you don't have to).

This is the description:

Born into a time when war ravages the land and captured at a young age for her previously-unheard-of magick abilities, Destiny has exhausted fourteen years of her life training and serving as a remorseless assassin for the Four Nations. Now, at twenty years of age, she seeks to escape and mete revenge on those who have wronged her and many of her fellow nythpaths. Except wretched Fates and the needs of others alter this path before it can flourish. Because of one horrible act by a twisted soul, memories are fragmented. Three hundred years slip by. And Destiny is thrust into a situation where the balance of the world rests on her shoulders. With the help of a surly stigmaton and a cast of other characters she meets on her journey to restore peace, will she be able to save Drugara from ruin? Or will a hidden evil consume her and destroy everything she comes to hold dear?

Here's the link: http://www.bookcountry.com/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=7289

Happy Writing!

--edited by Amber Wolfe on 12/5/2014, 7:42 PM--

Zach Heher
Posted: Saturday, December 6, 2014 11:32 AM
Alright, one down three more to go.
RandE-Lee
Posted: Sunday, December 7, 2014 10:44 AM

I'll take your challenge!
Jean Marie
Posted: Sunday, December 7, 2014 12:39 PM

Um, 3 nibs means significant revision which kinda doesn't add up to the comments, left by someone.

I'm out of this challenge as it's too challenging especially when what you leave isn't what actually shows up.

Sorry Lucy.

And, to edit this here post, that person came back and said that was not what they intended to do at all!  However, on my review, comments I made were deleted, or disappeared, or whatever. Possibly, the Grinch ate them May I say, I took a long time, both in thought and care in what I wrote, and voila! not all of the remarks are there. Not helpful to anyone.  Also, I did not give 5 nibs, across the board, yet there they are.  So, I'm not reviewing any more until 'something's' fixed.  The appropriate number of nibs were chosen, imo, and they were all different, again after much consideration b/c that's how I am. I don't simply rubber stamp, I take this very seriously, and I'm not here to either blow smoke nor insult people. So it's frustrating when the end result differs from your original intentions. 

Thank you.

I hope everyone enjoys the rest of their Sunday night!

--edited by Jean Marie on 12/7/2014, 8:24 PM--

Lezli Horn
Posted: Sunday, December 7, 2014 4:03 PM

I'm in Lucy.

Lezli Horn

Lezli Horn
Posted: Sunday, December 7, 2014 5:04 PM

Hello Amber,

I am not sure if you are interested but if you wanted to email the first three chapters to me I will read them and write comments as I read. I do this for contest submissions and it seems to work well. If not that is alright I will still read the first three and post on the site only.

Lezli Horn

lt.horn@yahoo.ca

Amber Wolfe wrote:

All right, I'll join in. Anyone who wants a WIP checked out, write it down here. Meanwhile, I'll scan the site myself for works to review.

Here's the one I want reviewed the most: Destiny's Bond. I uploaded a completely new version about a week ago. The entire first half is different. Thoughts on it would be greathappy.

This is the link: http://www.bookcountry.com/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=7289

Amber Wolfe
Posted: Sunday, December 7, 2014 6:13 PM
Thanks, Lezli, but I think I'll simply keep my manuscript on Book Country only. I'm looking forward to your review, though. And I'll be glad to reciprocate.

Lezli Horn
Posted: Monday, December 8, 2014 10:30 AM

Not a problem Amber, already done and tweeted too.

Lezli

Posted: Monday, December 8, 2014 4:39 PM

Lezli--so great that you have joined the challenge!

Jean Marie-- I am confused. The review that was posted to the book was different from what you put into the system? Can you email as at support@BookCountry.com with screenshots so that we can show our developers?

Posted: Monday, December 8, 2014 4:40 PM

@RandE-Lee--so great to have you with us! Happy reviewing during this busy holiday season!

Amber Wolfe
Posted: Monday, December 8, 2014 8:04 PM

Hey, Lucy. Got a question about the rules here.

Can I combine 3 different reviews for short stories as 3 chapters? Or does it specifically have to be 3 chapters of one manuscript?

Posted: Tuesday, December 9, 2014 10:21 AM

Hi Amber,

I think that would be totally fine-- you are so kind to make sure.

Lucy

curtis bausse
Posted: Tuesday, December 9, 2014 12:17 PM

Well, since joining I've been happily reviewing and dispensing advice as if I know what I'm talking about. So if anyone wants a chance to tell me I don't, here's the link to One Green Bottle, posted a few days ago:

http://www.bookcountry.com/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=7479

All comments welcome, the more honest (harsh, brutal, whatever...), the better!

Meanwhile I shall continue reviewing, which I find a very instructive process in itself.

Best to all,

Curtis

Posted: Tuesday, December 9, 2014 1:27 PM

Thanks for sharing, Curtis!
Amber Wolfe
Posted: Tuesday, December 9, 2014 10:55 PM
Great! Then in that case, 2 down, 2 to gohappy

Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 6:24 PM

Don't forget to share your progress on Twitter using the hashtag #GiftofWritingFeedback.
Stasia Morineaux
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2014 8:15 AM

I'm in...super idea!!

I just posted my full manuscript and I can't wait to get some reviews rolling in! I just discovered this site via the FB pledge post and think it is such an wonderful idea.

I've already reviewed one and hope to get another in today!  =)

--edited by Stasia Morineaux on 12/12/2014, 8:39 AM--

Stasia Morineaux
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2014 8:22 AM

Meant to include a link to mine!

No Time to Cry

http://www.bookcountry.com/Bookdetail.aspx?BookId=7501

It's a dark urban fantasy, paranormal romance

Send me your book link and I'll read and review back!  =)

Posted: Friday, December 12, 2014 4:11 PM

Stasia--welcome to the challenge!
Marlin55
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2014 8:59 AM

I'm taking the challenge. I'm currently reading On Green Bottle by Curtis Bausse. Fantastic book. I've got a few more lined up.