RSS Feed Print
Book Country & 'the fine print'
DJ Lutz
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2015 8:59 PM

So here's my scenario - I am taking to heart the BC presentation on treating your book like a start-up. My background is in business management and for the life of me I don't know why I didn't start doing this sooner. Right now I am in the research phase, which brings me to a question for the Book Country Powers-That-Be. Or Lucy. Probably one in the same. Here we go: my books are culinary mysteries. Normally, I would include recipes at the end of each book. However, I noticed in the fine print that Book Country does not want to publish anything with how-to instructions, recipes, etc. Perhaps this is a liability issue? I can work around the no recipe requirement by pushing them to my newsletter, but don't want to do the extra work unless necessary.

The short version is this: will Book Country publish a book with recipes?

Lucy Silag - Book Country Director
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2015 10:14 AM

Hey DJ, so glad "Treat Your Book Like a Start-Up" has been useful to you and I can't wait to see what you develop!

Tell me where you found this "fine print" so I can make sure we are on the same page? Just want to clarify before I advise.

DJ Lutz
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2015 11:22 AM

Hi Lucy - under "General Publishing Info" you will find the following:

"Does Book Country publish all types of eBooks? For the most part, yes. We welcome all subject matter... eBooks cannot in any way include recipes, formulas, instructions or recommendations that might be injurious to any reader, user or third person."

So is this saying no recipes at all? Or just - no recipes that might be injurious to any reader, user, or third person? And if this is the case, who decides what might be injurious?

- See more at: http://www.bookcountry.com/Help/Publish/General.aspx#sthash.OpkrBgVn.dpuf

Lucy Silag - Book Country Director
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2015 3:15 PM

Hi DJ--thanks for your attention to detail!

You can publish recipes with Book Country. You can see in our store we have a cooking section. Members just can't publish injurious recipes, meaning recipes that contain ingredients or combinations of ingredients meant to do harm.

As you get closer to publication, I am happy to take a look at your manuscript, too.

DJ Lutz
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2015 8:03 PM
Good to know, thanks!  When I do a second round of recipe testing I'll be sure to watch the amount of jalapeno pepper. angel

Jump to different Forum...