RSS Feed Print
If you have nothing nice to say...
DianaRoseWilson
Posted: Sunday, August 9, 2015 6:50 PM

Now that I've been on the site a few weeks and have been reviewing stories and getting a feel for the process, I'm curious if people feel hesitant to make comments on writing if they feel like they have trouble finding nice things to say.  

Personally I think it's challenging to give feedback when I'm not completely smitten by the writing but it's important to provide thoughtful and kind feedback.  It's part of this crazy process right?  Not always the most enjoyable but it's important to hear from people who read it fresh.

So, what are your thoughts? What's the process you use when reviewing work?  Do you find that you're getting steady feedback?  Useful feedback? Would you like more?

RCGravelle
Posted: Sunday, August 9, 2015 8:30 PM

Great questions! It definitely is more fun when you're smitten. (I like that word, by the way.) But I like to step outside my preference and into genres that aren't my comfort zone BECAUSE I can see the writing more objectively. I have to admit I've steered away from projects I thought weren't ready for 3 nibs yet. It's heartbreaking. I assume everyone cares as much about their projects as I do mine; it's kind of like being a mother. So I like reviewing work I can find plenty of positive to talk about. It just seems kinder. I know some people might disagree, saying, "We're about criticism, not feel-good praise." 

"Yes and no" is my answer. Because it's yet another instance of two things that I don't see as dichotomous, but rather, as parallel truths. We function better when we're validated.

I like having quotes pulled out of my writing and explanations of WHY those words were either troublesome or laudable. So that's what I like to do liberally with other people's projects. 

I've been having evolving thoughts about the nibs. I hated them for a while. Then I thought people should adhere closely to the nib rubric created by BC staff, but I still hated them. Now, I think they can be helpful but NOT as helpful as comments and NOT unless we are fair and consistent with them. I favor FAR more narrative help than the nib "grade" (because really, isn't that how it seems?)

Diana, speaking only for myself, I think you know what you're doing. I've been embittered by some unfair criticism I've received, and when you reviewed my story, I was heartened that you reciprocated my review, and I also found your critique fair, kind, balanced, and sensible. You've undone some of my frustration, and as much as I loved my story, I love it more today because of your superb (and kind!) critique. You seem to be guided by the principle that if you have to stop, then something needs attention. It's so much easier to truly see projects we're not "in." We need each other to point out those places that make us stumble, and then to explain why, and even make suggestions. And we MUST point out usage errors or details we've overlooked (like when a girl dog is suddenly a boy--ha ha).

That's my two cents.

DianaRoseWilson
Posted: Sunday, August 9, 2015 10:51 PM

Thank you for saying that. Ha!  I feel strange giving advice when I'm far from getting my own craft dialed in.  I hate the prospect that I might be leading someone astray with random feedback.   Also, so much about being a reader is opinion, and you know what they say about that!

I'm sorry to hear you've had harsh criticism.  I think it's part of being a writer, it seems like I remember some very brutal reviews of my work that make me shudder.  It must be part of the package of writing, that we have to get beyond that harshness and continue to move forward. 

I'm happy that the review gave some insight/inspiration !  I saw you put up a new version but have been busy getting pictures edited and dragging my feet about my own writing so I haven't peeked at it yet.  I hope others will have a read through it too.  More opinions the better I say!

Lucy Silag - Book Country Director
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2015 11:32 AM

Great exchange here. Personally, I'd rather get tough feedback here, while I still have the chance to make changes, than later, after I've published a book, on a retail site. So I tend to review very candidly, but I also try to keep it conversational. One way to do this is to ask questions instead of making statements. Ie: "Can you describe this more?" rather than "Not enough description." What I am hoping is that the first way will elicit a creative response, and the second way just feels like a judgment.
Amanda Kimberley
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2015 9:38 AM

I've been writing for an awfully long time and I've also done reviews for other writers for an awfully long time. And, unfortunately, the reality is, you are not always going to find someone else's piece appealing. Writing styles vary and sometimes you won't mesh with that person's style. I find this to be true with the satire genre. I'm just not a fan, but when I'm reviewing a satire piece, I'm like Lucy in that I definitely like to keep the review sounding upbeat with questions because it allows the person to engage you in creative dialogue.

As far as my reactions to reviews, I honestly only remember one bad one that stuck out to me. And the only reason why it stuck out was not because of what she said, but because of how she said it. In my opinion she lost all credibility with me when she started her critique by saying, "I'd rather slit my wrists than call myself a romance writer." Everything after that was absurd for me to hear because one, her piece she had me review for her had read like a contemporary romance, and two, well-- if you blatantly don't like romance-- you truly are not going to be a good judge of the writing. 

Romance has certain bones to it (like any other genre) and if you don't have those bones-- it's not considered a romance. Guess what she was picking on? Yup! The bones of the story! I think that was a case where the review wasn't so helpful for the piece, but it was helpful for me as a writer because I started to understand that sometimes a bad review of your work happens because people just don't like it-- and that's all. The review helped because it gives you a thicker skin as a writer. People are always going to have something "negative" to say because that's how we do things in today's world-- we focus on the negative to grow, but sometimes that negative is just supposed to help your personality grow and not your writing. 

TheresaReel
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2015 10:44 AM

I agree with Amanda.  If you don't enjoy reading a certain genre, you shouldn't be critiquing it.  I also wish I could find a local writer's group that meets once a month.  This site is great, but I've noticed that if no one really knows you or who you are, there's a certain tendency to bully or give in to taking personal fustrations out on people who use this site.  The key is "constructive" criticism; not trashing someone's writing because you just don't like the genre .  But I'm beginning to think I'm not a good reviewer:  I just want to read a good story and I'm willing to be carried away by where ever a writer wants to take me.  When I read something, I'm not thinking about plot structure or story points.  I just want to enjoy myself.
katie78
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2015 12:04 AM

instead of offering advice as if you're an expert, just gie your impression as a reader- i was confused here, i lost interest here. if you give a humble opinion, there's no way you can be wrong.. the writer can take it or leave it.
Daniel Roland Banks
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2015 10:24 AM

There's a subtle difference between critique and review. I  tend to think of critiques as the type of input provided by beta readers-- who may or may not be other writers-- to help the writer develop the manuscript. For example: "I'm not sure the character should be named Betty. Could she be called Electra, instead?" Or, " You have some serious grammatical errors that have to be addressed."

I see reviews as being a reader's opinion of a published work. For example: "While I enjoyed the character development and the serious nature of the subjects that make up the story line, I found the pace and and lack of action made the book too dull and boring. Two stars."

Here on bookcountry writers benefit from specific input from beta readers. You can upload as many revisions as you need. It might be a little confusing to some, because of the rating system (nibs). Actually, these are useful tools to let the writer know what the overall quality of the work is, at this point in its development. Once you are ready for reviews of ARCs or a published work, it's too late to make substantive changes.

If you are a reader, you're comments and critique can help the writer improve their work. If you are a writer, posting a WIC here provides critiques from those beta readers we all need so desperately.

If you aren't sure how to give critiques, it doesn't matter. Just write a comment about what you liked about the book, AND what you think could have been better. You don't need to know the specific terminology or technical elements of writing. You know what works for you and what doesn't.

So, if you are a reader-- read and comment. If you are a writer-- write and appreciate any and all critiques.

Mimi Speike
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2015 12:08 PM

Yes, indeed. All comments are valuable. The thing is to decide which are useful for you and which not. On 'Sly! A Rogue, Reconsidered' I have gotten everything from one to five stars, on the same piece, no changes made. You will see draft 14 for the five star review, but that reflects tweaks I made to the synopsis, for a synopsis competition a year or so ago. Nothing in the text was altered.

We all have to decide, is this reviewer the audience my work is intended for? And how committed am I to my vision, meant for a certain type of reader? (In my case, a more literary reader, not so goal oriented.) There will be something valuable in every review. Find the gold nuggets. They will be there. Hurt feelings? Get over them, fast. My very first review, I was taken apart, told, among other things, I'm no Jane Austen, in terms of witty humor. I sulked for an hour, then realized I wasn't trying to be Austen, I was being me. And got on with it. 

My thing started as a short story. It's now a four-maybe-five book series. If anyone reads it, read the one called, simply, 'Sly!' That's my novella, the 'Reconsidered' piece reworked, a whole new beginning, and new episodes to start the ball rolling. Reconsidered picks up where the novella leaves off. And the large amount of backstory has been (somewhat) broken up and dribbled in. Many many will still not be pleased with what I've done. 

My method is an exploration. I discover the story as I go, on the hoof. I do not outline, except in my head, in very vague ways. I know that Sly has to prevent an assassination attempt on Queen Elizabeth, by her old friend Robert Dudley. How it all shakes out is anybody's guess. I have theories, but they'll be out the window the moment I get hold of something better, which can happen in a heartbeat. I cannot write any other way, and if I had made an outline at the start, and not investigated every possibility for additional fun, my mess wouldn't be a quarter of the screwball riot it most certainly is. For those who are not obsessed with the thought (I've been asked way too often) When is something going to happen?, I say, screw that shit. If you say it also, my thing may be for you.

Adopt/adapt what of your readers' advice is compatible with your intention. To write someone else's way gives no joy. How you need to tell your story, that's bedrock. Go from there.

--edited by Mimi Speike on 8/22/2015, 2:13 PM--

Peter Carlyle
Posted: Thursday, September 3, 2015 12:58 PM

If there is nothing good about the writing, the plot or the characters I try to think how they can improve their work. Once I reviewed a book on Autonomy - it was an autobiography of someone who suffered from depression and was boring. I knew I had to be sensitive, so I told them I thought they were too close to the subject to be objective. I suggested they turn it into a fiction novel. They thanked me and said that I had helped. Unfortunately others were unkind. The left Autonomy and I never heard from them again. I hope they are okay.
Eric R. Jackson
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2015 1:49 PM

Sorry in advance if this is post necromancy (I've been lurking before posting).  

When faced with overwhelming negativity, you always have the option of shifting the focus of the review to the potential the story holds.  True, it's a nice way of saying "this is utter crap and here's how it could be decent" but no one likes hearing those harsh words.

As Katie said, it's best to offer advice as a reader.

At the very least it challenges the author to identify what they're trying to accomplish so they can better communicate it to the reader.  IF things are really bad, you might need to ask the author (assuming you care enough) to let you know what they were trying to do and make polite suggestions to how they might better show this.

Sometimes I run into a story that has a concept I REALLY want to see pulled off, but I identify that the author just isn't doing a good job with it.  From there I could tell the author the expectations I personally have for that kind of story without telling them HOW they should be doing it.  That's the authors job, after all.  You never want to rewrite their story for them.

Your words should help them identify the flaws for themselves.  If they just can't see it, you may want to back away slowly-- you're not their writing teacher.  At that point, they just need to improve their writing ability with some practice.  Short stories are great for flexing those writing muscles so suggesting that never hurts.

ValerieT
Posted: Wednesday, October 7, 2015 3:01 PM

Usually there is something good you can comment on. For the rest, you can make suggestions as to how something can work better. You can also pick only one or two things to comment on. Try to begin and end with a positive. Personally, I don't have the patience to proofread someone's work for spelling and grammar so I rarely comment on that in other than general terms.,

Jump to different Forum...