RSS Feed Print
Who is your Muse?
DianaRoseWilson
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2015 5:02 PM

I made a personal blog about this in response to some local writers struggling with the writer's block and getting started. A few years back another writer friend of mine turned me onto this TED TALK by Elizabeth Gilbert about the inner genius (the Muse). Here's the link though you can also look it up on YouTube (do it).

http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius?language=en#

Back? Ok!

So, what is your muse like? I find that because I have a personality to my muse, it's much more understandable when I get motivation. -- I hope people will share their ideas/thoughts here.

I'll share mine first to get us started:

My muse is a dude. I realized this as I was schlepping my first draft. I’d wake up early, sit at the laptop and struggle to write with no luck. Then I’d get up in a huff and take a shower. Almost every time I’d get suds in my eyes: k’pow! Inspiration. Of /course/ my muse is a dude. Even now, I can pretty much guarantee having some twinkle of insight about a character or scene or a nugget just by lathering and repeating. Go figure.

My muse is also very handsome. I can tell this because he zooms in and out at all hours of the day and night with absolutely no consideration about me. I think he drives a corvette, though he might also own dodge charger that he uses for the weekends. He’s so good looking that he has no qualms about being gone a week and then suddenly cuddling up with me in the small hours of the morning to whisper story ideas into my brain. ‘sorry I’ve been gone darling, you know I just need my space’, I imagine him saying in a sexy Mediterranean accent. Something Greek or Spanish. Maybe a mix. I dunno, it’s just sexy as hell, and he knows it. Bastard.

When I’m happy with him and he’s providing him fruits for my work, I imagine him looking like this cross between Jared Leto (circa 1999 Angel Face-ala Fight club or 2005 From Yesterday video) and David Mack. Those two guys are: 1) good look’n 2) very creative. 3) Inspirational 4) Supportive to fans.5) I like the idea of seeing Jared Leto in the overpriced dodge charger.(Ok, who am I kidding, I like the idea of him cozying up to me in bed to tell me how to make my story better. Seriously.)

Other times, I imagine him looking and sounding just like Danny Trejo.(Usually when I’m wrestling with a scene and running into a brick wall --All Danny Trejo, all the time.)

Alright--who's with me with having a crazy Muse? or a muse that drives them crazy? GO!

(Edited because my font keeps messing up)

--edited by DianaRoseWilson on 7/23/2015, 5:08 PM--

Mimi Speike
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2015 7:40 PM

Hi Diana, welcome! I'm at work, no time for a long reply. What does a muse consist of, and where do you get one? Or do they just descend on you (or not)? I'll get to it later. For now, I say:

Is anyone surprised to hear that my muse is a very opinionated, very tenacious, determined to get his way in all things cat?

DianaRoseWilson
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2015 8:00 PM

Hi Mimi--

Well, from the Ted Talk, it is believed that the Muse was(is)s the inspiration--the spirit --that comes to us and fills us with the creativity for writing, or arts or music.  The spark. The fire.

Some people have a real-life Muse like a person or object that inspires them.  I happen to have a figment of my imagination.  I enjoy personifying my Muse so I can cuss him out when he’s not around for a week and I want/need to write NOW.

Interested in hearing how other people view their Muse.  Does it help in the process.

RCGravelle
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2015 10:33 AM

I'm with Mimi. For a few years, my muse has been my kitty, Chloe Rosalie. She's a shy, skittish, nervous pastel-gray feline with one pink paw. She's strikingly pretty, and despite her retiring personality, when I head upstairs and enter my writing room, she's not far behind me. She can forsake our presence for all other activities, but when I'm in the writing room, she's there. I think there's some magnetic energy she feels. And she must know how petting her helps me focus and stay calm. It's an extraordinary companionship in my life for which I'm so grateful.
Amanda-Cromwell
Posted: Saturday, September 3, 2016 8:45 AM

Hey y'all, I'm starting my first book. I have two muses. I'm writing my first children's book. My first muse is Robert Munsch. I loved him and his books when I was a child, and my two boys love his books aswell. My second muse is my 1 year old son. He is the reason why I'm writing a book. Not to mention that I've always wanted to write a novel of my life... but I figured children's books would be the best first step.

Jump to different Forum...