RSS Feed Print
Snoozefest?
JPKippling
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2015 11:10 PM

Hi BC community, I have a question about structure of my NA fantasy WIP. I've looked through the chapters and the first ones are a bit of a snoozefest which, for me, are tolerable because I know that they're building up to something more exciting later. But for a reader, maybe they won't bother to get through the first few chapters because, let's face it, in the age of 140 character Tweets, most of us don't have much patience for slow exposition.

Background:

The story is about a aristocratic 25 year old who returns to his childhood home in Copenhagen, Denmark. He finds that Copenhagen is dull, grey and boring. He also is a bit dull, grey and boring himself because he is a bit pretentious and, well, aristocratic. He then meets his opposite: colourful, wild and a bit crazy and they become friends through a series of adventures and the MC learns a lot about himself and becomes less rigid and more open to exciting new things.

So, the question is whether to keep the first few slow chapters (and risk losing impatient readers) or to put some sort of hook at the beginning to draw in readers, even if it doesn't necessarily fit with the arc of my storyline.

What do you think?

Dave Pearce
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 7:04 AM

Something important needs to happen in the first chapter, otherwise you're probably starting the book in the wrong place. Maybe check to see if you've got too much backstory in the first few pages? Or maybe too much setting?

It's a fine line. That's why the first chapter is so hard to write.

Amber Wolfe
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 2:56 PM

Hi again, JP

As Dave said, something has to happen in the first chapters to make us readers want to read on--something that raised a question in our minds, or peaks our interests. I'd suggest uploading those 'slow' chapters of yours to Book Country for feedback, to see if, from a reader's standpoint, those chapters don't work. Since we're connected now, you could message me when you upload, and I'll take a look at the chapters for you.

Amber

JPKippling
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2015 7:26 AM

Wow, thanks Dave for the helpful advice! Now I'm feeling motivated to improve the first chapters. I think I might have a bit too much setting or character building or something. I'm looking at it again, this time with a more critical eye. Thanks!

Hi again Amanda, thanks for the offer! I really appreciate it. I'm reading a book right now to review (THE NEVERLAND WARS, which is great so I think I'm savouring it a bit too much) so I'll upload my chapters once I finish reviewing (and finish making some much needed changes). I'll let you know when I upload

Jump to different Forum...