RSS Feed Print
What the what is going on here?
JPKippling
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2015 3:04 AM

Hi everyone, my name is Jane (or JP if the 4 characters are too long, which for me, is often ) I just joined and I've been really enjoying the access to all of the MS up for review. I've been so wrapped up in the MS that I've almost missed this discussion board! 0_0

Anyways, I want to introduce myself and while I'm exploring, I want to ask you guys, what is there to do here? What do you recommend?

I'm mostly interested in YA, NA, fantasy, and whatever else happens to be interesting. I have a completed MS but I'm looking for a reader to help me with suggestions to revise it (I was looking at the Book Buddy programme), so do you have recommendations for that?

D J Lutz
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2015 7:25 PM

Hi JP,

As another two-initial writer, let me welcome you to BC! As you have already seen, there is much to do here, especially the wide variety of manuscripts available for reading and critique. As for your question - what is there to do here? Well, plenty. I have read new manuscripts in genres different from my own (mystery) and that is something I would not have considered had I just walked into a library or bookstore. I have conversed on a somewhat regular basis with several different authors, comparing notes, asking and answering questions, and providing mutual moral support.

I have learned more than I ever expected by reading through many discussion boards, and have made it a point to comment now and again. In fact, the connections I have made through these interactions have paid off in unexpected ways. Who would have thought an ezine on wellness for writers would reach out and ask to interview me? It happened; and it happened because of the friendly people on Book County.

The best part of Book Country, though, is the positive attitude of its members. We all come from different backgrounds, varied levels of education, and certainly we possess a wide range of literary skill. New writer, seasoned and published author, it makes no difference. We are all here to become better writers and learn more about the business. Critiques can be spirit-lifting or blunt, but all are given with the intention of helping the writer improve.

And Lucy and Janet (Janet and Lucy?) make hanging out at the site fun. What more could a person want?

D.J. sends

Amber Wolfe
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2015 10:41 PM

Hi, JP! Welcome to Book Country

Since D.J. has explained already the awesomeness of Book Country, I'll just say hi. I'm hoping to see you around the discussion boards and reviewing on Book Country!

You're looking for reviewers, huh? You could always join the Book Country Buddy Program, which, as I understand, is meant to pair two authors together and have them review each other's manuscripts, giving detailed critique. Or you could review active members' manuscripts, connect with them, and ask for a review in return.

You'll have to upload your manuscript first to get reviews in return, though--I see on your Profile Page you don't have anything up. Once you do, post about it on the correct forum for its genre.

Not that you can't review until you have something up--feel free to review whatever peaks your interest and strengthen Connections in the meantime.

Amber Wolfe

JPKippling
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2015 10:41 PM

Hi DJ, thanks for the welcome and long response. It's great to hear that you've had such a good experience on BC! I'm really exciting to be new here and to have so many new things to check out.

Thanks again

JPKippling
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2015 9:14 AM

Hi Amanda! We posted at exactly the same time (10:41) so I didn't respond to you in my previous message

Thanks for the warm welcome both here and in another topic. I'm *still* not totally ready to upload my WIP, but when I do I think I'll take your advice and do the "buddy" programme (in addition to connecting with other authors, of course... I can use all the help that I can get!)

Amber Wolfe
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2015 7:03 PM

Yeah, I noticed that, too

And it's Amber, by the way. Not Amanda, lol

Andy Getch
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2015 4:50 PM

Hi Jane,

I'm new too and learning my way around. The answers in this thread are helpful.

Jump to different Forum...