RSS Feed Print
Confidence, or lack thereof
Lucy Basey
Posted: Monday, June 8, 2015 7:33 AM

One day I'll be tapping away at the keys, happily crafting my story, feeling like this is it, this is what I should be doing with my life.

Then, the next, I'll pick up a book and read the blurb, read the first chapter, find myself being sucked into the story and before I know it, I'm putting the book down so amazed by what I've read that words just can't describe how the author managed to evoke such emotions.

That's all well and good, I like to enjoy a good book as much as the next person. But, this is when the self-doubt hits. Suddenly, I'm not so sure I can write, not even sure if the story I'm working on is any good. And I'm envisioning my book sat next to this amazing book, knowing my work could never be as good.

My desire to write fades. What's the point anyway? There's housework to be done and the sun is shining. I should be spending time living life, not writing.

Then the desire creeps back in. My laptop comes out and I open up my latest work and start tapping away again. There's an itch that needs scratching and I write for the love of it, after all.

But wouldn't it be nice to have a career that I love, to write and earn a little money from it? Wouldn't it be nice to share my work? How incredible would it be to see my book on that bookshelf, next to that amazing one?

And so the cycle begins again.

Am I alone in this unforgiving, relentless sequence of emotions? Or are there others going through the same thing? I have heard that comparing ourselves to others is often at the route of our misery, and yet compare we must, surely?

Amber Wolfe
Posted: Monday, June 8, 2015 9:59 PM

Oh, Lucy, no! You're not alone in this at all! This happens to me almost every time I pick up a book and read it.

I'm addicted to books. If I'm not writing, I'm most likely reading a book by my favorite authors or a new author I'm wanting to give a chance. And when I'm reading, I usually go, Oh, wow. This is so cool! I love this style! And her/his voice is superb. Why can't my writing sound this good?

And then, afterwards, I feel a little down. I think, Man, my story is crap compared to his/hers. Why am I even trying?

But then I remember this: Well, his style's different from mine. And my story's not actually crap. That's just the nasty little Voice in my head.

Usually, when I'm feeling timid about my writing and my Voice and whether I'm good enough, I get my hands on a few modern authors' works and read through them, seeking out all the little stylistic quirks that set them apart. Then I say, Huh. These guys all sound different from each other. No one Voice sounds exactly the same. Cool.

Once I've done this, I re-read my story from a reader's standpoint. I get critical. I ask myself these questions: Does this read like a novel I'd pick up at a bookstore? Would I pick this up at a bookstore?

I find that formatting the manuscript into a 'hardcover novel' setup helps me to see it as a novel, rather than an unsubmitted document. I adjust the font, the margins, the page size and width, and read through like it's a book.

I don't look at my story as a 'draft'. I look at it as a reader as I write it. Then I go back through and tweak. Normally, I tweak sentences. Other times, full paragraphs. But I always read it like it's a novel. If something doesn't read right, I fix it to the best of my abilities.

Maybe you could try it--I know I look at my story differently if it looks like a novel rather than a manuscript.

Here's the fonts, margins, and page size I picked after measuring an actual hardcover book:

Font: 10 pt. Times New Roman

Page Size: Width, 6.00. Height, 7.30

Margins: Left, 1.00. Right, Top, Bottom, .90

You'll probably have to zoom in on it, and make certain the paragraphs are justified throughout, but this keeps me in a 'this is going to be a book' mindset. It also helps me gauge what my manuscript might look like published

Went on a bit of a ramble there, didn't I? Oops.

Amber

Perry
Posted: Tuesday, June 9, 2015 10:27 PM

A measure of self doubt can be good, if it motivates you to improve.
Val
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2015 2:14 PM

Amber, that's actually a GREAT idea - what do you do, cut the paper down to novel size?
Lucy Basey
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2015 3:15 PM

I don't know how I missed these replies. Amber you've mentioned some brilliant methods, and I'll definitely give formatting my manuscript a go!

Perry, what you said is very true. I just have to keep my critical eye focussed on what can be improved rather than tearing my work to pieces haha!

Amber Wolfe
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2015 10:29 PM

@Val: Actually, I measured a hardcover book I wouldn't mind my own novel to mimic in terms of font and size, then I opened a word document on my computer and typed a page of said book in so I could try and fit the margins justly. Once the document was the same in terms with the actual book page, I took the measurements and pasted my manuscript in, changing font and font size accordingly. You can use my measurements, if you'd like--I've found most hardcover novels are of that size and width, margins, font type, etc.

@Lucy: You're most welcome! I'm glad you found my suggestions helpful

DianaRoseWilson
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2015 3:02 PM

I think every author feels like their writing is not good enough. Or they are concerns the reviews or readers will pick it apart.

It’s natural.

It’s also a process of growth.  Every event in your life will evolve your writing.  I have a very different view on courtrooms because of something that happened to a close family member.  Later on another family member close to me had more courtroom things and it completely and utterly changed my viewpoint.  The courtroom smells different to me now.  It’s strange but my writing between those two life changing events are different.  Everyones will be.

A friend recommended I read a series of books that span from 1988!!!  To 2014 – so I begin.  The writer head-hops around the first book and the scenes are all over the place and I’m about to toss it out the window, except I love the characters.  So I finish the book and read number two and three and….they get better and better and cleaner.  That first book was a new writer cutting their teeth.

We all have to cut our teeth. 

(It's not /fun/ but it's part of the deal.)

**Edited to add**   A suggestion is to read something from an author you love that is one of their first books.  Match that to their style now. (Try to read their first book and most recent if you can to see the big change)

--edited by DianaRoseWilson on 7/23/2015, 3:08 PM--

Andy Getch
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2015 11:28 PM

Indeed, I sometimes catch myself comparing my works in progress to those I admire. My work in progress is a draft. Those I admire are finished, edited, polished and promoted.
Lucy Basey
Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2015 3:56 PM

That's a fantastic idea Diana, I'll definitely be doing that!

Andy, your response made me smile, next time I'm feeling insecure about my work, I will try to recite that to myself, it's very true.

Jump to different Forum...