RSS Feed Print
THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN- Thoughts?
Janet Umenta, Book Country Assistant
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2015 11:01 PM

I just finished reading THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN by Paula Hawkins, and I feel so guilty. While reading, I constantly judged Rachel and felt her actions were utterly stupid. In a time when there are so many opportunities for women, why would Rachel (and Anna and Megan) continue to sell themselves short? Why would they let abusive men control their lives? When I got to the end of the book and the mystery finally unraveled, I felt guilty about my lack of sympathy toward Rachel. If this was a real-life situation, would I have at least listened to Rachel's story without an open mind?

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the book.

Lucy Silag - Book Country Director
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2015 10:03 AM

Really interesting points about THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN! I feel like this is totally the book everyone is reading in 2015.

I thought Rachel's character was really interesting (ntm sad!!), one of the most compelling characters I have read in a while. Megan and Anna kind of annoyed me, though. But maybe they were supposed to? In order to make us feel even worse for Rachel?

Curious to hear what others think!

ChapterXXI
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2015 9:55 PM

Maybe, Janet,

That's exactly what the writer wanted you to feel. I haven't read the book, but I know in my own writing - before I start writing any scene, I have already answered the question of emotional impact - how do I want the reader to feel? I want to jolt them and I tap into my own natural responses to what I write - I do  this as a reader, and then I home in on as a writer. 

Read the book again, is she using a clever writing technique?

Jump to different Forum...