RSS Feed Print
Type-ology 101
Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2015 4:17 PM

Came across an awesome infographic on Adweek via GalleyCat:

"Type-ology 101: The Basics for Using Text and Fonts"

Writers who want to find an audience almost always have to become DIY marketers, creating covers for works-in-progress or self-pub books, images to announce sales and teasers, putting together an email blast . . . you name it! Knowing some basic type design skills is very helpful in helping to spread the word--literally--about your book or author platform.

D J Lutz
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2015 9:03 PM

As a former typesetter, I'm all in with the importance of design, font, color scheme, etc. Done well and it can make a bad book look worth the cover price. A poor choice of font, color, and design, however, can make a great book hit the dollar bin too soon. I love the layout of the infographic, the same with his 18 rules for using type - but the resolution isn't working well on my screen, and the light colored fonts against a white background tend to fade for these eyes. Probably looks awesome in print. Regardless, the point is made - typography and design are worth a few minutes of your time. I'm a fan of Garamond, 11 point for most of my own stuff.

For a nifty little video on typography, check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOgIkxAfJsk

Jump to different Forum...