RSS Feed Print
Genre Feedback
natwrites
Posted: Sunday, February 8, 2015 6:09 PM

Hello! I'm new to Book Country. I have wanted to write novels since I was a young child. I have written off and on my whole life, but after a particularly trying period of my life, I suffered writer's block. I finally picked up the pen again (so to speak) and I have been writing a novel since mid-November. I am happy to say I am currently at 65,000 words. I am aiming for around 80,000 and then looking to publish. 

That being said, I am definitely going to post my novel on Book Country so I can get some feedback. I am also confused about what genre my book is and I'm hoping for feedback on that as well. 

I'm sure it's difficult for someone to specify what genre my book is without reading it, but I'll briefly advise you what my concerns are so I can have your thoughts. 

1. Initially, I thought it might be considered "romance", however, it's basically about deceit, affairs, and otherwise sordid tales. From what I've read on here, that would most certainly not fit in the romance genre. Plus, the sex scenes aren't necessarily lovey-dovey.

2. The book is based on several main characters and chapters are written from their points of view. I have one deranged individual who's identity is not revealed until the end, but there are some graphic scenes to A) show you his childhood B) his first murder C) his second murder, etc.... he is quite deviant. Would this mean my novel is considered the genre of "horror"?

I'm not sure if you'll be able to answer on just what I've said thus far, but I'd love it if you replied back with any questions you might have or your thoughts in general. 

Thank you! This is my first Book Country post - so please be kind

Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager
Posted: Monday, February 9, 2015 12:30 PM

Hi Nat--thanks for posting. Curious to see what others have to say about the genre of your book DECONSTRUCTING BRIDGES, and I'm excited to take a look myself!

In the meantime, you might also introduce yourself over here so that other folks will take notice, and adding an author bio to your profile always helps, too!

Jump to different Forum...