RSS Feed Print
Why are there no werewolf story's out there?
Rojack79
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2015 10:23 PM

I've noticed a severe lack of empathy for Werewolves' in fiction. Unless I've missed a spot but most of the time I look for fantasy romance story's I find nothing but vampire's being the main monster love interest. Doe's anyone no why?
Zach Heher
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 12:03 AM
I always believed that werewolves were more about inner struggle between your humanity and animal instinct. You are in control for about 29 days, but once a month your inner animal is released and leaves violence and chaos in its wake. Also I've noticed that werewolves are never truly saved in the end. For example (also spoiler alert) in the film An American Werewolf in London the werewolf is killed by his love interest without a chance to take control of his monstrous half. Vampires, I guess, can be saved by a love interest because they share more than one similar qualities with humans while werewolves are human for a while until the full moon forces them to refrain their humanity.

This is my opinion. Hope this gives a little incite.
Amber Wolfe
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 8:10 AM

I like werewolves. I like the wildness in them. When I do come across a novel where the hero/heroine is a werewolf, I always enjoy the read, so long as the writing and story are interesting. My main hero in Destiny's Bond has wolf blood in him--though not a werewolf's.

So, yeah. I don't understand why there aren't more werewolf stories out there. Maybe it's simply a matter of the Vampire Boon.

Charles J. Barone
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 8:10 PM

The truth about werewolves. 

http://www.fvza.org/werewolves.html

This site is run by a 90 or 91 yr old man who calls himself Dr. Hugo Pecos. He has developed a cult following by taking vampires, werewolves and zombies and totally transforming them, stripping them of the mythology and reinventing them. If you've got spare time, it's worth the read. If nothing else, his completely fabricated biography will leave you wondering why he hasn't turned it into a book.

Amanda Kimberley
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 11:05 AM

There are a lot of books out there about hybrid werewolves these days. By hybrid, I mean, Werewitches, Weretigers, Werebears, Dire Wolves, etc. I don't normally come across a normal Werewolf. Even Jacob from Twilight can't be considered a Hollywood bred Werewolf because he shape shifts at will making him more of a Dire Wolf.

I think many writers may feel stuck with the Hollywood bred Werewolf simply because they don't know what to do with it. The types like Buffy the Vampire Slayer's Oz are kind of hard to make into a hero because someone has to shoot him with a tranquilizer dart, and usually that was Willow, the witch. Heroes in most writer's novels tend to run a little less vulnerable these days. I think some of that is because the readers want it and some of it is because it's just too hard to make a believable character out of a Were.

It's actually sad, too. The real legends and myths of Werewolves are completely different than the Hollywood version, and frankly-- at least to me-- seem more interesting and complex. Keme, the first Werewolf, was actually made and not bitten. I find him fascinating and have been diligently researching him as a character for my series. It's VERY rare that you see stories about Keme, and of course, some of my series, just like every other creative writer, will not be completely accurate to the legend. We all do it to fit the timeline/story we see in our heads and mine will be slightly off the timeline of Keme's "birth", but it's as true to legend as I can get it! If you'd like to know a little about Keme you can read up on him at these sites: http://www.gods-and-monsters.com/history-of-the-werewolf.html, http://kentuckywerewolves.weebly.com/original-write-up.html

Lisa Hoekstra
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2015 3:08 AM

Weird... I wrote a werewolf-based novel for my 2014 NaNoWriMo and the whole time I felt like I was just following the trend - like werewolves were everywhere! Though I admit I was pretty immersed in it, researching werewolves for a few months and watching/reading everything werewolf related I could... 

(I did change the mythology a bit for my story; it's an urban fantasy, so my wolves have discovered that "the curse" is really a virus that mutates it's host yada yada yada - though now that I've checked out the fzva site, I see that it wasn't an original idea that I had. Ah well! It was still really fun to dream up the sub-culture that would have formed after sooooo many years since the first werewolf...) 

Anyhow, if you're looking for a werewolf series that's actually pretty good and empathizes with the wolves (it's YA and kind of twilight-y but... better), check out Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare also depicted werewolves pretty well - angst-y, fighting their inner demons but good people most of the time (though if I had to choose between the two, I'd pick Shiver. It's shorter and the writing is slightly "better"). 

Happy writing!

Eileen Becker
Posted: Wednesday, March 4, 2015 5:19 PM

Two recent series with werewolf protagonists are Anne Rice's The Wolf Gift chronicles (two volumes so far) and Glen Duncan's trilogy that started with The Last Werewolf.  Both series explore the violent urges of the werewolf in contrast to civilized modern society, and both combine horror with erotic elements.  Duncan, especially, looks at female werewolves in addition to male, and both writers delve into the moral dilemmas of the characters, though in different ways.
Rojack79
Posted: Wednesday, September 2, 2015 12:28 PM

HAHA!! Funny thing. I forgot i started this topic. I was looking threw the discussion's today and saw this and was like "oh wow i wonder who put this up?" Ah i crack myself up sometime's. But to the point. Thank you all for you'r reply's. I now have the confidence to go on with my own werewolf story idea.

Jump to different Forum...