RSS Feed Print
What if Your Book gets Adapted
Zach Heher
Posted: Wednesday, January 7, 2015 10:37 AM
Hello folks. I trust you all had a great winter break!

A thought occurred to me while on break. I noticed that there are certainly a lot of great stories here on Book Country. And it is more splendid to know that some of us have their work made into novels. Now that it seems that novels are being adapted by Hollywood through various means.

Which brings a good question: What would you do if a Hollywood agent called you and said they want to make an adaptation of your work? Would you be thrilled or terrified? What sort of adaptation would you want your work to be? Movie? TV? Animation? What actors/actresses would you want to portray your characters?

Give it some thought and leave a comment.
Amber Wolfe
Posted: Wednesday, January 7, 2015 4:07 PM

Hmm, that's a tough question--though I must admit to wondering myself, despite the chances ever happening being almost nonexistent.

Now, if a Hollywood Agent contacted me and said they wanted to make an adaption of my hopefully-someday-to-be-published WIP Destiny's Bond Series, my first reaction would probably be a total loss of brain function, followed by a string of jibberish. Then, as I calm down, say 'I'll think about it' and hang up, I would sit with the phone clutched in numb fingers and try to process the most glaring questions:

Who would be adapting the story? Would they stay true to the series, or change the story line completely? Would they take my books and do justice by them, or would they make an adaption so horrible that no one who's yet touched the series wouldn't want to read them? Would I have any say in how they go about the process?

Depending on how those questions were answered would determine my answer of 'yes' or 'no'.

Now, as for how I'd like the story to be adapted? Well, I guess I've always pictured my characters as anime, the Japanese style cartoon. Even when I'm writing out scenes, that's how I envision them, probably because I love watching anime so much, and my books were inspired by anime in the first place

So yeah, if the almost nonexistent opportunity ever arose, I'd want my books to be adapted into a string of anime movies, because anime is the best art ever! biggrin

Robert G. Moons
Posted: Wednesday, January 7, 2015 8:52 PM

Well, since J.J. Abrams, James Cameron and Peter Jackson haven't returned any of my calls, this is just a nice fantasy

OK, if Hollywood came a knocking to make my (one and only) novel, "XIN: The Veiled Genecides" into a film, I'd say YES, YES, OMG – Mother Mary comfort me – YES!!!...

Then, once the sedatives kicked in, I'd call my lawyer, start negotiations for my financial and creative concerns.

I'd want it to be a film, and it would have quite a lot of CGI due to the Sci-fi genre.

Actors? There are so many good ones... but wait... this is my fantasy, and I can have whoever I want, no matter how crazy or unrealistic... Scarlett Johansson would play the voice of XIN. Ryan Reynolds would play Dave, he's got just the right smart-assness to add to the character. Morgan Freeman would be in there somewhere; can't have a film without Morgan Freeman. The rest are undetermined at present.

But, in all seriousness, if someone came up to me and said, "I want you to make a film about whatever you want, here's the money", I'd make a full length feature film from the short story, "The Man Who Planted Trees". My favourite short story. There is already a beautiful animated film: http://vimeo.com/19426214

Zach Heher
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2015 12:24 PM
@ Amber: That sounds awesome. I love anime. It is the best use of 2D animation to date.

@ Rob: I definitely think J.J. Abrams would be perfect to recreate you epic saga. I love what he did with the new Star Trek films and I can't wait for Star Wars Episode 7.
Lidy wilks
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 1:03 PM

Wow, it's been at least six months since the last time I was on BookCountry. But I just had to take part in this discussion. Pretty much every writer might've fantasized about having their work adapted into film which can't be helped really. It's an occupational hazard for a writer to want their writing/stories to be more well known and read. And a movie adaptation does just that, but if it's done right. So @ Rob: We're of the same mind about J.J. Abrams. But I'd also would love it, prefer more really, if I also had the options of having Chris Columbus, Peter Jackson, Kenneth Branagh, Joss Whedon and or Phillip Noyce recreate my WIP novels.

And to @ Amber: I love anime and it's great to see another writer who loves and is influenced by anime as well. And so, if I can't get a Hollywood adaptation, I would love it if either Studio Bones or Production I.G. animated it into a series. Or a movie.

Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager
Posted: Thursday, February 5, 2015 11:52 AM

I just saw an essay that reminded me of this discussion!

Did anyone else read a memoir called FRESH OFF THE BOAT by Eddie Huang? I read it a couple summers ago and I liked it. Huang has a great voice and he has a lot to say about race, style, American culture, and food.

The book was adapted into a sitcom for ABC. The author writes about how it felt for the book--his life story, really--to be turned into mainstream TV. His perspective--and the resolution--is thought-provoking.

Charles J. Barone
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 1:00 AM

If such a thing ever happened, the first thing I would do is find an attorney who specialized in the entertainment field. There are a number of areas to consider. A couple mean money in your pocket as well as the possibility to have some control over what they do to your book.

1. How much are they paying for the book?

2. Do I get first write option on the script. What is the fee?

3. Will I receive a percent of the net profit of the movie? Be aware, there is seldom a profit. Hollywood seems to be the only business on earth that consistently loses money on every movie, unless it's a blockbuster and they can't hide all the cash.

4. Second draft option. After the spec script is finished, can I get the rights to the 1st rewrite? How much? Usually a novice only gets the first write, and then they bring in a pro screenwriter who proceeds to butcher your screenplay and, by extension, your book.

5. Extraneous stuff. If the movie is a hit and toys, cards, etc are created, you can receive a royalty of a penny or two, as well as royalties from TV spinoffs  and/or sequels.

There's a lot more that a good lawyer familiar with the motion picture field will know. In 99.9% of the cases, unless you are a big name author like King, Koontz, Parker, etc, you sell the rights with the book. That means the movie will probably be BASED on your book and, if made and released, you might find a few things you recognized as yours in it.

On the other hand, if you get #1, #2 and #3, which a lawyer will fight to achieve, your sadness at what they did to your book might be tempered by the knowledge that your bank account will love you.

--edited by Charles J. Barone on 2/18/2015, 1:01 AM--

Jump to different Forum...