RSS Feed Print
Give the Gift of Feedback Review Challenge!
Jean Marie
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2014 11:54 AM

Lucy, and or Janet, the notifications don't work, as in to let you know when someone's reviewed your ms.

I'll try and review, even though it didn't work the last time, as in the nibs...I explained it to Lucy.

I've been querying and pitching, so I need a day or two to recover, but I did want you to be aware of those two things. My brain is functioning in a 140 character format w/ hashtags

Lynn Rushlau
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2014 4:21 PM

Count me in!

I've got a story posted here that I'd love feedback on & I'm willing to do reciprocal reads for anyone who wants one above the 4 reads for this challenge:

Amber Wolfe
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2014 3:36 AM
Lucy, Jean Marie is right. I haven't been getting notified when my manuscript is reviewed, either (which is strange, because I was up until maybe a month ago). Like right now, I had to go to my dashboard before I found out that Scarlet Crimson had been reviewed. No notification. It's quite an annoyance that should be worked out.
Janet Umenta, Book Country Assistant
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2014 4:24 PM

I reviewed MISTER and BIG & LITTLE last week. I think my favorite part about this challenge is that it encourages you to read books in different genres. #GiftofWritingFeedback
Nat R
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 2:23 AM

A tad late in posting my pledge, but I'm definitely in! Look forward to it. Great idea. 

If anyone is interested in taking a peek at my story Unknown, a link is here, but it sounds like there's lots of great stories to choose from! 

http://www.bookcountry.com/Bookdetail.aspx?BookId=7238

(Note - so far 15 chapters posted. Computer troubles means I can't upload the latest version, but any thoughts/feedback on this draft is appreciated. It's marked as a 'romantic suspense'. Is not exactly a humorous or light-hearted tale. If you take a peek, hope you enjoy)

Nat Rowlin

Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 2:59 PM

So exciting that people are joining the challenge--I love it! Thanks and happy reviewing to everyone!

In the meantime--to answer your question about getting a notification when you have received a new review. Those notifications are on our roadmap for 2015. Stay tuned for updates about when they will be added to Book Country.

Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2014 4:55 PM

How's everyone's reviewing going?

I just read a really fun Space Opera-M/M Romance called HIS FAITHFUL SQUIRE--only a chapter since that's all that has been posted so far. It was so refreshing to read something outside of the genres I usually read, just like Janet commented. Love it!

yes
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2014 11:25 AM

To whom it may concern,

I use to be a member of Author stand and today i signed with Book country. I saw this oportunity of reviewing books.

I found Cathie Whitmore posting fascinating. And i think i have the right narratives for her.  There are some descriptions here and there, but i think she will enjoy to go through them as they are related to the story itself. I am in negotiation with Outskritpress to publish my book, a collection of three short novels, but i really will appreciate a review from a impartial reader and author, and Cathy sounds like a very interesting person to give feedback.

I am including the synopsis of my book below with an excerpt fro each novel. Hope Cathy will decide to review my  book.

Right now i am in the process of publishing two books, and i don't have the time to sign for book review, but in January,  i might have more free time i will sign for it.

I will need some instruction as how to download the book, if Cathy decides to do the review.

Sincerely,

Nimfa

PS:

Below i am inserting the synopsis .

The Orchand Orange: The tragic life of two young women, Marina and Ana, mother and daughter in law, are displaced in time. Although much the same, they unfold in a dissimilar and unexpected way, after their husbands migrate to America. Mariana's life unfolds gradually and reaches a critical peak after Ana's tragic fate. Both women face the odds and unexpected, thrown harshly at their feet, to endure more than they bargained for in their life.

His kiss and his deep, masculine voice reached somewhere inside her, somewhere deadened, in a secret profoundness place without sensation, she had managed to shut down in her system a long while now. She thought she never would feel that way again. Numb outside and with a fire set inside, she sat down on the bench, put her hands over her face, and sobbed for a while.   

Rina: The story elaborates the life of a young woman, Rina, left widowed and childless in a very young age. Rina's reality is at times at odds with that of other villagers. As these two realities clash, the whole village is enveloped in this unexpected saga.

Death always had that overpowering effect on people. It made them vulnerable. It made them accept things they never would before; it made them forgive the dead for the dreadful vises carried out while alive. 

The Awakening: The somewhat constrained cohabitation of two unlikely people, an odd man, quite different from others and an unfortunate woman, brings about human tragedy and triumph. Real life takes over in this tale of loss, unconscious self-discovery, and awakening in higher dimensions of human being's ingenuity. 

He felt lost. It was much better when she did not talk and stood still at the window sill. Now, everything was so different and strange. It was alien and unfamiliar! Completely a new turf for him! A turf he never had walked on before, a path so unknown it started to irritate him to destruction.  

Jean Marie
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2014 9:59 PM

Now that things have slowed down a bit, I'm going to be able to fit in 2 reviews before Christmas.  Possibly 3.  I'll do my best!

I agreed to do this, but at the same time, I want to do it correctly.  I didn't expect to get hit w/ so many obligations at the same time, so I apologize for leaving this to the last minute.

Amber Wolfe
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2014 12:47 AM
3 down, 1 to gohappy

Jean Marie
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2014 11:18 AM

Okay, I'm back in as this time the reviewing process-nib thingie worked, held.  So, I've done 2 reviews and have 2 remaining.

I can fit it in amongst the scatterings of things to do before Christmas...that is if I quit breaking things!  I spent 2 hours this morning super gluing a gorgeous clay candle holder that had belonged to my mom.  I knocked it over, last night while I was unplugging the outdoor Christmas lights on the porch. I could hear her saying, "I can't believe you did that! Do you have any idea how long it's going to take you to fix that?"

"Yes Mom. But, I will fix it. Promise."

"Hope so, since it was my favorite."

We have a lot of conversations such as these.  In case you're wondering, she passed away a bit over 6 years ago

Posted: Monday, December 22, 2014 11:29 AM

@Jean Marie--so glad to see you back in the game!

I hear you on the headsmacking moments--my life is getting fuller and fuller with those as Christmas gets closer!

Posted: Monday, December 22, 2014 2:44 PM

Welcome, Nimfa, to the challenge, and welcome to Book Country! Please let us know if you need any help finding your way around the site!
Jean Marie
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2014 9:58 AM

Oh yeah Lucy! I felt like such a clutz, but thank goodness for super glue.  Or in this case, it's plastic surgery.  Just don't get it on your fingers   In any case, it held and the candle holder looks great. 

Off to do another review, and if I've time, I can fit in the 4th one!  Yay!!  If not, I'll definitely do it tomorrow.

Finished another review, so one remaining.  Have to leave, I'll do it when I come home.

--edited by Jean Marie on 12/23/2014, 11:16 AM--

Jean Marie
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2014 5:37 PM

All finished
Lynn Rushlau
Posted: Saturday, December 27, 2014 5:20 PM

I finished my four!

I still have no reviews at all on mine. If anyone's still looking for something to review and feels like some YA fantasy, I'd really love some feedback: http://www.bookcountry.com/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=7053#sthash.5Fer57hE.dpuf

Amber Wolfe
Posted: Saturday, December 27, 2014 9:02 PM

Lynn, this is a thank-you to you happy. Since I have no idea whether you'll see my comment on Destiny's Bond, I thought I'd leave one here, as well.

Thank you so much for your review! Your praise was deeply appreciated, and you made some good points. I'll be reviewing your WIP as reciprocation, though it might take me a while, since I've promised reviews to three other people.

On a different note, this message is for Lucy Silag: Jay Greenstien is right about the 'review' error. Instead of the review Lynn left being posted to the new version of my book, it was left on the previous version. I don't know whether the reviewer didn't click on the new version or not, but I must say it confused me at first. I didn't realize that the review had been tagged to my previous version until I'd backtracked. This should be fixed.

Amber Wolfe
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2014 4:35 PM

Finished my four! Yay! happy

Or I guess, more specifically, my eight. Out of those I read, here are the ones I recommend to fellow reviewers looking for talented writers (or those who enjoy reading, in general):

1). Search For the Hercules by Marlin55, a 10,000 word Alternate History manuscript

2). Scion of the Ring (Part 1) by SMRoffey, a 3,000 word High/Epic Fantasy manuscript

3). Lint by Marlin55, a 10,000 word Weird Fiction manuscript

4). A Lamentation of Swans by Voran, a 18,000 word Traditional Fantasy manuscript

Give these writers a chance and give them some feedback, even if the challenge is over. They deserve some attention.

Happy Writing!

--edited by Amber Wolfe on 1/3/2015, 1:07 AM--

Jump to different Forum...