RSS Feed Print
Question
Anne Skalitza
Posted: Wednesday, November 26, 2014 12:11 PM

Hi to all,

I'm not new to writing, but am new to Book Country. If someone could please clarify exactly what writers should expect when they post their work on here. Is it only for WIP (Work In Progress), possibly completed, or is it for polished and ready-to-be-published work? Or is it a combination of both? And if Book Country is for both forms of writing, polished and ready or still in draft mode, shouldn't that be stated somewhere on the author's work?

The reason I ask (and mods, if this is the wrong place to post this new thread, please port it to where it belongs), is that I'm seeing confusion among comments of authors' works. Some respondents are copy editing, some are line editing, and some are giving what amounts to a review of a polished and published product.

Thank you!

Anne

Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager
Posted: Wednesday, November 26, 2014 12:25 PM

Hi Anne! Welcome to Book Country!

Thanks for your question. Book Country members are in all stages of their writing process, and post work that reflects that.

The best way to get the feedback you need to ask explicitly for it in the "Author's Note" on the Book Details page. You can say something like, "I'm getting ready to publish this in the spring, and I'm hoping the community can help me spot inconsistencies in the prose," or, "Please tell me when you notice grammar and punctuation mistakes," or "This is my first draft and I'd like help replotting." You'll also see that some people post work that has already been published, and you're right that it is definitely good to say that in your author's note. Sometimes people who are unhappy with their book's sales might ask, "I published my book and it seems like it's not getting any word of mouth. When you read this excerpt, where do you start to lose interest?"

We had a post a while back about how to ask for the feedback you need--I love it and refer to it often!

Lucy

--edited by Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager on 11/26/2014, 12:28 PM--

Jump to different Forum...