RSS Feed Print
I'm researching website design
Mimi Speike
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2014 1:14 AM

I'm about to try to make my site and I have a few questions. I see a site where the large graphic fills the width of the screen, at

http://readingthedetectives.tumblr.com/

That's what I want, full use of the horizontal real estate. Most sites run the contents down the middle, dead space right and left, and as a graphic designer, this drives me nuts. Most people have a landscape screen these days. Why don't I see more wide-screen solutions? Is there some solid reason, or is it just habit, and lack of critical thinking? Is it possible to set up the text in two or three columns that fill the width, like a magazine page? 

Is that nearly universal vertical format due to the limitations of stock templates? You want something different, you have to build it from scratch? Can those templates be radically altered, by a know-next-to-nothing? I'd like to be able to create my pages in InDesign and transfer the result to the web verbatim. I've read you can export your layout out of the software to be published on the web, but that there are glitches in the process. Anybody know about that?

--edited by Mimi Speike on 11/16/2014, 3:01 AM--

Mimi Speike
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2014 11:56 AM

My next question: if I register a domain name with say, a small orange, can I take it with me if I leave for greener pastures? Michael, you'll know about this. I have a name in mind and I don't want to lose it.

--edited by Mimi Speike on 11/16/2014, 11:57 AM--

Jump to different Forum...