RSS Feed Print
Should I post online?
wordburner65
Posted: Friday, September 5, 2014 7:29 PM

I just heard that it is not a good idea to post my material online while I am currently submitting it to agents and publishers?  I would like to hear from someone who really knows about this.
Jay Greenstein
Posted: Friday, September 5, 2014 10:52 PM

If you mean put the entire story up online, that's never a good idea.  If you mean a chapter, or a few hundred words of the opening for feedback, that's okay.

The reason for not posting work is that if you're giving it away and it's mildly popular, you're "poisoning the well," so to speak and eliminating customers. And if it's not popular why would they want it?

wordburner65
Posted: Saturday, September 6, 2014 1:49 PM

Thanks, that's helpful!  Yeah, I didn't realize how sticky this subject was until I snooped around a little.
Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager
Posted: Monday, September 8, 2014 9:15 AM

Hi @wordburner--you should definitely post an excerpt here on Book Country! Would love for the community to be able to get a sample of your writing to read here.

Lucy

Tsunamitiz
Posted: Friday, October 3, 2014 12:45 AM

Never  even think about putting your ideas up on this post.
Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager
Posted: Friday, October 3, 2014 3:36 PM

Hi @Tsunamitiz--what makes you say that? On Book Country we find that sharing your work and getting feedback helps members to revise their work into a better book.

Haven't seen you on the site before, though it looks like you have been a member for a while. Welcome!

Sent you a connection request. Please be in touch if you need help finding your way around!

Lucy

Sonstar41
Posted: Saturday, November 1, 2014 9:34 AM

Hello

I know there are risk on posting online, but if the source is reliable, I guess its worth the risk. Is good to have an opportunity to publish and to have your options open. Is good to have others to review and read your books  other than just an publishing agency that might reject your book, not because your book is bad, but because your not famous.

chatebooks
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2016 2:24 PM

I think posting an entire story or manuscript online is not a good idea. It's a risk you have to take. However, I think posting a chapter or a short summary is fine. 

ChatEbooks recently posted https://www.chatebooks.com/blog-Should-You-Buy-Books-Online-The-Advantages-and-Disadvantages

Jump to different Forum...