RSS Feed Print
Metafiction/Picaresque/Literary Collage
Mimi Speike
Posted: Monday, May 5, 2014 2:20 PM

I’ve just had my story evaluated by a developmental editor. Several things about it, she loves. Here’s what she doesn’t love: She tells me that I have written a piece that is part Metafiction, also Picaresque, also a bit of Literary Collage. My understanding of her remarks is this is not good, that I need to be more consistent in form. She does not object to my intrusiveness, she likes it, for the most part. She only wishes it were organized differently.

The metafiction interruptions follow the behaviors that I am commenting on, they are not in a separate chapter, as she advises. Some are in footnotes. She says, then put them all in footnotes, keep the method consistent. But the wisecracks/miscellaneous remarks in the footnotes are less specific, more tangential than those woven into the text. I feel that it works, but what do I know? Can anyone comment, in general, about an off-putting mish-mash (apparently) of approaches?

--edited by Mimi Speike on 5/6/2014, 12:22 AM--

Jay Greenstein
Posted: Monday, May 5, 2014 10:46 PM

Sounds interesting. Certainly worth discussing. Post a few examples.

And to our moderators: It's getting harder and harder to ignore the crap that the site's software package dumps into posts, adds to copied text, etc.

Mimi Speike
Posted: Tuesday, May 6, 2014 12:17 AM

Thank you Jay. I will.

That stuff following my post is the result of my Chrome being damaged. I forgot all about it. If I use Safari it does not happen.

I have been doing research on multiple approaches in the same book, and have a list of books that are supposedly both Metafiction and Picaresque. One of them (I believe I recall) is Confederacy of Dunces, which I have but have not yet read. Another is Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell, which I have started and gotten sidetracked away from. I have a lot of reading to do.

Jump to different Forum...