RSS Feed Print
Great books on craft
Julie Artz
Posted: Monday, April 7, 2014 10:17 AM

A fellow BC member recommended Debra Dixon's book GMC (Goal, Motivation & Conflict) to me recently and I just wanted to post here to say it is phenomenal! This book will especially appeal to someone who has a background in writing, but is new to fiction (like myself!).

I have also found a book by Tom Chiarella called Writing Dialog to be particularly useful in crafting more natural dialog. 

So, what are your favorite books on craft? 

calicocat88
Posted: Tuesday, April 8, 2014 1:30 PM

Hey Julie!

Right now I'm at the end of Cheryl St. John's "Writing With Emotion, Tension, and Conflict." So far I think she's done a good job explaining things. She even gives little assignments at the end of each chapter. She also recommends picking up books on craft by Dwight V. Swain.

~~Calico~~

Julie Artz
Posted: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 10:59 AM

Debra Dixon recommended Dwight Swain too, so I just started reading Techniques of the Selling Writer. So far it seems promising. I was put off in the first chapter by his somewhat antiquated tone, but I suppose some allowance needs to be made for it having been first published in 1965. By the second chapter, I was hooked and used to his style...

I added Cheryl St. John to my wish list too--thanks!

nobody
Posted: Monday, September 8, 2014 9:47 PM

I just found a book on writing called "The Elements Of Style; 3rd Edition" by William Struck Jr. and E.B. White.  Published in 1979  ISBNs 0-02-418190-0 or 0-02-418200-1 for the paperback version.  Its a short book a mere 92 pages long.  And has had editions released as late as 2009 a quick on-line search reveals.

Flipping through it some of it seems quite sound.  Two quotes from the book are;

"No book in shorter space, with fewer words, will help any writer more then this persistent little volume." The Boston Globe, &

"The work remains a nonpareil: direct, correct, and delightful." The New Yorker.

Finding a 35 year old book is nothing in my house I have books dating back to early 1900s, a couple might be older then that.

Voran
Posted: Wednesday, October 1, 2014 4:13 PM

Can't stress enough how important Struck and White's little book is! Fourth edition is the most up to date, as far as I know. And don't take my word for it, take Stephen King's. He insists that it's absolutely indispensable for writers.

Jump to different Forum...