RSS Feed Print
Facebook Author Page: Why and How?
Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2014 5:18 PM

According to recent data, 71 percent of adults in the U.S. are on Facebook--so FB is a really a force to be reckoned with when it comes to author promo. 

We made a quick how-to post for those of you who're thinking of creating a Facebook Page. We explain why a Facebook Page is a good idea--as opposed to just making your Facebook profile public--and walk you through creating a page. 

You don't have to be a published writer to have a FB page: in fact, it's a great idea to build a following before your book hits the shelves.

Please feel free to use this as a forum where you can ask each other (and us) questions about Facebook & Facebook marketing or share helpful resources. 

Cheers,

Nevena

Book Country coordinator 

--edited by Nevena Georgieva on 1/17/2014, 5:19 PM--

Ian Nathaniel Cohen
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 11:57 PM
I set up a Facebook Author page a few months back that I use for posting updates about the status of various writing projects (most of the activity lately is promoting my blog posts and my new Twitter account).  Aside from advertising the page, is there anything I'm not doing that I should be?

Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 6:48 PM

Just based on my first impression - you seem to be doing a pretty good job! You vary the types of posts that you do: you have writing progress updates that are text-based and links to your blog posts with nice, conversational lead-ins. Perhaps do some more image-based ones: writing memes or images/paintings depicting people from the historical period your book is from. Personally, I like it when writers post images of what they think their main characters would look like. 

Keep in mind, though: you just got started so it's hard to tell what your audience likes best. Facebook recently changed their algorithm to limit the number of people who see your posts in their newsfeed, which makes things even harder. Focus on growing your audience and getting comfortable on FB & finding a voice for now. Invite friends to like your page. I like that you linked to your Facebook on your blog, but to make it stick out more, add a FB button if you can (here's how: https://developers.facebook.com/docs/plugins/like-button/). Also, go like all of the other BC writers' pages on FB--there's a good chance they'll like yours back. I linked to all the FB pages of BC writers I know of in the blog post, and I just went back and added your page, too!

Btw, we're planning on running a post with more tips for writers on how to engage their audience on FB. This post was just to help newbies get started. So stay tuned!

Good luck!

Nevena

--edited by Nevena Georgieva on 1/22/2014, 6:48 PM--

Ian Nathaniel Cohen
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2014 12:28 AM
I'll see what I can do about adding that stuff to the blog (given that it's hosted on someone else's site, it might be iffy).  Thanks!
Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2014 10:01 AM

Oh, I see! That's tricky. Anyhow, I think you're doing a great job!

And here's the promised post about different types of posts you can do to engage your fans on Facebook.

Feel free to share your suggestions!

Nevena

BC Coordinator

Voran
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2014 3:46 PM

It seems to me that, as with so many things on the internet. there's a healthy dose of luck that gets you noticed. There was one post I did on my facebook page that had nothing to do with novels, fantasy, stories, or anything like that. It was a short video about two young creative types who quit their jobs to collect old windows in abandoned barns and built a house of them. It had over two thousand views and twelve shares! No idea why
Danielle Bowers
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2014 8:47 PM

Great post!  I haven't taken the step to creating a Facebook author page because of last winter's tweaks to the algorithms.  I used to have a photography page and killed it because posting anything to the followers on my personal page generated a lot more traffic.  Maybe I'll follow this guide and try setting one up again.
Janet Umenta, Book Country Assistant
Posted: Wednesday, September 3, 2014 4:57 PM

Courtney Landi, Associate Publicist at Penguin Random House, shares 10 tips for a great Author Facebook Page on the Book Country blog. I particularly like her tip on being genuine in your Facebook posts. Who are your favorite authors on Facebook?

Jump to different Forum...