RSS Feed Print
Let's get it started!
imawake
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 11:02 PM

I just finished writing today and posted my word count. I wrote nearly 3,000 words today, but it was because I burned down a village and I got caught up in the description. I have no idea where I'll go with it tomorrow. I'm just over 37,000 words, so I feel a bit happier that I have a small cushion again.
Atthys Gage
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2013 12:44 AM

I'm just the opposite, DC.  I usually find dialogue flies by.  Description is like the heavy lifting I have to go through to get to the next conversation.  Ah well.  And I LOVE great description.  I am by no means a fan of screen plays.  

1704 today.  Holding steady.  I believe I came up with a plot tweak that fixes my motivation problem while, of all things, sitting in the dentist's chair this morning.  No, it has nothing to do with dentistry, but it does have a little to do with pain and suffering and with facing up to life's unpleasant responsibilities.  

Crossed the 34,000 word barrier.  I now predict I will hit 50 K on November 30th but the book will need another five thousand words to be finished.  Maybe six.  

DCLabs
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2013 9:26 AM

That's funny!  I'm sure we all have the "heavy lifting" parts of our writing.  I'm often told the descriptions are the best part of my writing, I suppose it comes from a very visual mind.  My NaNoWriMo from last year, posted in peer review, has comments to that effect as well.
imawake
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2013 10:03 AM

After this NaNo is over, I'll have to go and read one of your books, DC. I love good descriptive passages. I love it when an author can make things so clear that I can visualize everything in my mind. But I have to say I'm the same as Atthys Gage; I am happy writing dialogue and can hear my characters talking as if they're right there next to me. It's the descriptions that bog me down because I can't see it as clearly. I always thought I was a visual person, but when it comes to writing...not so much.

I have a terrible cold today. It started brewing yesterday and today I feel horrible. I have no idea how I'll write anything today when I can't think straight and I'm blowing my nose every 2 seconds.

Atthys Gage
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 6:50 PM

Sorry you're not feeling well, Ima.  Give yourself a break, drink plenty of fluids, keep warm.   

1,682 today.   Fun scene with lots of dialogue.   37,374 total.   

Tomorrow, the final build up to the climax begins.  8 days?  I think I can, I think I can...

imawake
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 8:49 PM

Thanks, Atthys. I did nothing but fluids all day today (except for a handful of almonds) and I'm starting to feel better. I am getting ready to write my words for the day, even though it's kind of late. You're doing great with your word count. You'll hit 50K in a couple of days at this rate! I have to say, I'm ready to be done. I'm going to push to get my words done before the end of the month so I can take a break. Sadly, 50K is only half a novel for me. So I will have to make myself keep up the momentum somewhat and get this thing done.
Atthys Gage
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2013 4:46 PM

I'm glad you're doing a little better today. And thanks for the encouragement, though if by a "couple"of days, you mean anything less than eight, you're giving me too much credit.  I'll hit fifty on the 30th (if at all) and not a day earlier.  And I'll probably still have ten thousand words until novel's end so, like you, I'm going to try and keep the momentum going.  I'm glad it's turning out to be such a short book.  My last project went to 130,000 words or so.  A whopper.  I dread the day I have to go back and start the second draft on that monster.  

Feel better.

imawake
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2013 6:40 PM

Thanks, I'm way better today and actually showered and put on makeup. Woohoo! I look like a real human today. I felt so much better that I was inspired to start writing first thing this morning instead of well after dinner. I usually procrastinate until as late a possible, but I felt like maybe I could leap ahead a bit today if I knuckled down. I didn't get ahead, but at least I'm not behind. You might be done with your 50K before the 30th. You never know. And do you think you'll really be done with the novel once you hit 60,000 words? My first novel was 160,000, which trumps your puny 130,000. And once I edited it a million times, I had it down to a reasonable 100,000 where it languished in my files as unpublishable. I worked on that thing for a year and a half and got over 300 rejections. My writing has improved since then, and maybe after I edit this one, put it on Book Country and then edit it again, it might go somewhere. What surprises me this time is that I've never written so much so quickly, and I am surprising myself with story twists I could have never plotted out ahead of time. Doing NaNo was good for me. I would have never believed I was capable of writing this many days straight. Some of it is crap, but some of it seems inspired. Now stop reading this and go work on your word count.
Atthys Gage
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2013 11:15 PM

160 K?  Oy.   Can't imagine that.  On the other hand, the 130K I finished this summer is the second book of a three book series that is really (somewhat like LOTR) one three-part novel.  When I write the third book someday, all three together will certainly top 300 K.   60 K is quite short for me.  I usually end up closer to 90 once the editing is done.  (Rewrites are usually 10 to 15% shorter than the first draft.)

As for today, I'm done.  A 1623 day.  

imawake
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2013 12:07 PM

I had a NY agent call me and talk to me for half an hour, on her dime, to tell me she liked my book but 160K was too long. I ended up cutting 60K which made it much more reasonable. But I look at that manuscript now and am grateful it wasn't published because it just wasn't good enough. I'm going to repurpose it as a YA novel and see if it doesn't fare better. I was originally going to make it the first of a trilogy, but now I've just moved on to other stories going on in my head (like the one I'm writing this month). As soon as this month is done, I'll read one of your books, Atthys. I need a break from my own stuff.
Atthys Gage
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2013 2:00 PM

I admire your dedication.  300 rejections?  This is such a harsh business.  (I think I got as far as 40 for one book before giving up.)  Truth is, I think I'm actually glad it didn't get published either (it was my first book) and during the last eight years, I've become much better at writing.  Still, the fact that nothing else has been published in the mean time either means I'm not as good as I think I am (perish the thought!) or that the whole agent query route just isn't the way to make it happen.  I won't lie to you.  I would like to be traditionally published (and I DO think I'm good enough) but I don't think it's very likely.  That leaves self-publishing, of course, but I have a lot of doubts and reservations about that as well.  

Anyway, back to writing.  Just crossed the 40K threshold!  There's no stopping me now!  Actually, that's not true.  I can think of dozens of things that could stop me.  Most of all just my lazy, feckless nature. 

Cheers.

imawake
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2013 3:22 PM

It is definitely a harsh business. And the rejections were for my first book too, and I do think I'm much better at writing now. And I'm of the same mind as you - exactly the same - I want to be traditionally published and I also think I'm good enough (now, anyway). Somehow I would feel more validated if someone paid me money to publish my manuscript. Agents and publishers are demanding that a potential author have a platform, meaning we must create our following first, either with a blog or something that has a built-in audience. Honestly, I love my time to myself and that's partially why I write; so I don't have to go out and mingle with people. I can be situationally extroverted when I have to, and everyone actually believes I'm a social person because I fake it so well, but I really would be a hermit if left to my own devices. That hermity-ness means that I'm even somewhat uncomfortable being out there on sites like this, but after a while a writer's life gets lonely. I self-published a humorous memoir about my time living in Panama recently because agents told me that unless I was famous, no publisher would take it. I was told I had a nice "voice" though. Well, my *&$^# voice isn't going to pay the bills now, is it? I write because I love to write, but it's the thing I'm good at and supposedly we're supposed to do what we love and the money will follow. HA, I say. I love sitting around watching movies but sadly nobody is giving me a paycheck for that either. And whining. I could make some big time cash if someone were in need of a world class whiner.
Lucy Silag
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2013 6:26 PM

OOF.

I'm way behind on my Nano project. I thought it would be a reasonable goal to try to get to 25K today to try to make some headway (I'm still stubbornly believing that I can still win even with so little progress!). I tell you that getting even to 25K was some serious work. I made it, though, with 2 words to spare.

--edited by Lucy Silag on 11/24/2013, 6:27 PM--

DCLabs
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2013 10:07 PM

I too am behind, but not Lucy behind

Hit 38,000k today, only 12k to finish.  Basically my goal is to complete on Friday.  The book itself isn't finished but NaNoWriMo will be.  My first project grew to a meager 104,000 words after the first edit.  This one looks to be shorter by about 20,000 words.

I'm actually currently aggresively querying my first manuscript right now.  I only have 4 rejections but its only gone out to four agents.  Waiting on number five.  I plan to start sending out multiple letters once I've rewritten the query I'm just getting the exclusives only agents out of the way.  Also why I found book country, get some editing resources and maybe some dumb luck and maybe get a publishing offer (one can dream).

In any event.  The NaNo must go on!

imawake
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2013 11:12 PM

Good luck, DC. I really hope an agent takes you on and you get your manuscript published. And Lucy, if you do 3,125 words each day for the next 8 days, you will win NaNo! That is totally doable!
imawake
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2013 10:20 AM

One of my NaNo writing buddies hit the 50K mark a week ago. I see he turned in his word count and is now labeled a winner. I wrote a measly 400 words yesterday. I've got 7 days to finish, and I know I can, but what is it about almost getting done that makes me slow down? It's dreary outside today which doesn't help. I feel blah.
Lucy Silag
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2013 2:46 PM

Thanks for the encouragement--it really does help!

DCLabs
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2013 4:10 PM

I saw that Lucy, a 4,000 word day!  Very impressive.  You can make it!  Sometimes you just have to be stubborn and do it simply because you said you would.  Another 3,000+ day for me today, a massive sprint to the finish.  Another three days like this and it should be a done deal.
imawake
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2013 7:42 PM

Wow, that's impressive, DC. I need to do a word sprint today to make up for yesterday. As usual, I haven't started yet. I'll race you.
Atthys Gage
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 3:36 PM

1735 yesterday.  42,359 total.  Five days to go.  Can we do it?  Yes we can!  Maybe.  Either way, effort counts.  In fact, in the world of unpublished writers, effort is huge.  I paraphrase from the dedication of Samuel Delany's Heavenly Breakfast:   Here's to anyone who ever did anything no matter how sane or crazy whether it worked or not to give themselves a better life.   I would say writing qualifies.  

imawake
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 4:17 PM

I did about 1850 yesterday, which leaves me only 3500 more! I wanted to cram and get it all done today, but I don't think it's going to happen. But YES, we CAN DO IT and we will. We've gotten this far. Seriously, I'm so proud of all of us for even trying. I've never written this much in such a short amount of time. I now see the value of writing everyday, even if I don't want to, and even if all the words I write in one day are crap. I'm getting into a good habit and I'm not allowing my changing moods to dictate whether I write or not. Just like Seinfeld, I'm putting an X on my calendar each day that I write (even if it's 10 words) and I don't want to break that chain of X's.
DCLabs
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 9:56 PM

Nearly 3000 today, 44,000 over all.  Right on target for my sprint finish, could be as early as Thursday.  The middle is such a saggy grind but the finish line looming makes for great inspiration.  Here we go guys, 50k is right around the corner!
Atthys Gage
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 4:05 PM

1675.  Am I consistent or what?  45,803 total.  I'll hit fifty on Saturday, just as I always predicted I would.  The real question is how much more remains to be written after that and can I continue my November discipline into December?  Time will tell.  Meanwhile, the plot is roiling along to its conclusion, and I'm mostly just trying to hang on.  Cowabunga!
imawake
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2013 11:07 AM

I finished yesterday and validated my word count and made it to the winner's page. I almost cried, I was so happy (I'm not kidding). I was always about 4 days ahead the whole month, so I'm not surprised I finished slightly early. I'm so happy to have made it! But I will keep writing every day anyway, including next month, because the novel isn't finished. I want to keep this discipline of writing every day. It has really been good for me.
Atthys Gage
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2013 12:08 PM

Congratulations, Ima!  Still about 4000 words away but plenty confident.  See you in the winner's circle.
Atthys Gage
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2013 12:13 PM

Of course, there's no way for me to verify my word count since it's just a two hundred page spiral bound notebook and I can't possibly type that fast, but that's okay.  I'm doing this for me.
DCLabs
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2013 3:52 PM

We can vouch for you

I was a bad boy yesterday and only did 400 words.  I paid my price today and did nearly 4,000.  Less than 2,000 to finish - home stretch!

imawake
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2013 10:30 PM

I'm rooting for you, Atthys and DC! Only a couple of days left. You're doing great! Don't leave me in the winner's circle all by myself. I'm going to get my 50% off Scrivener; that's my reward for actually finishing this thing.
Moru
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2013 2:37 AM

I'm popping in way late on this thread it seems :o 

I entered NaNoWriMo this year and finished rather early (yay being a housewife with time to kill, I suppose). I'm kind of sad I just got involved late here It seems everyone is doing well here towards the end This was the second time I did NaNo, but the first time I finished Overall, I finished the end of my first book and completely wrote the second one during the month. It's been a real challenge but has also spurred me to write again. I really needed the push into getting back into the flow of writing and am happy I took part

Good luck to everyone on finishing! 

imawake
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2013 10:21 AM

Hey Moru, don't downplay your amazing ability to write 50,000 words in less than a month because you're a housewife! I'm currently unemployed, which frustrates me, but I only squeaked by and didn't manage anything extra and I had all day to write too! You are obviously dedicated to your craft and I admire that.
DCLabs
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2013 1:09 PM

and that's a wrap!  Officially done this year's NaNo, feels great   So happy to have your encouragement along the way.  Now lets party!

The book will finish itself now, right?  haha.

imawake
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2013 2:31 PM

Woo hoo! Good going, DC! Very proud of you. It feels fantastic, doesn't it? The cheering on the winner's page made me so happy I had a stupid grin on my face watching it, as if it was just for me. Champagne all around. And yeah, the book will write the rest of itself, haha. No.

Jump to different Forum...