RSS Feed Print
Table of Contents
unicorn-hunter
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 4:02 AM

It looks like a table of contents is pretty much needed to publish through BC, so i'm wondering, what goes in a table of contents? My book is just a fantasy book, so it's hard to think of what would even go on a table of contents.
Timothy Maguire
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 8:32 AM

Basically, Book Country uses a Table of Contents because it stores your book as a sort of proto-ebook. I don't know if you've got any ebooks, but their main search function (as you can't go through the pages) is to make it easy to find the start of each chapter. In short, it makes it a heck of a lot easier for a reader to find the relevant bit of your novel.

As to what should be in your table of contents, here's the quick, rough list: Dedication, Acknowledgements, Author's Note, Prologue, Chapter Headings, Epilogue. There's some better information on what should be there and how to set it up in the Book Country how to use me sections on the menu, so have a browse and it should become clear.

Hope that clears things up.

Lucy Silag
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 12:08 PM

@unicorn-hunter--thanks for bringing up an important point about the Table of Contents.

@Timothy--thanks for jumping in to help! You rock!

Anyway, yes, as Timothy is saying above, you can find some information about what to put into your Table of Contents if you go to "View TOC" in the Online Editor (a gray button right above the "Feedback Criteria" menu). Next to that is a little red button with a question mark on it. A pop up with the following info should appear if you click on it:

Use our editor to create your book's table of contents. You'll need to show us where your chapters start, and we'll automatically build your table of contents for you.

When you click the dropdown, you can preview the chapters that we'll use to create your book's table of contents. You can also use the dropdown chapter selector to navigate through your text in the editor.

If you need to add or remove any chapters, you can do so with the click of a button in our editor.

To add a chapter, select the chapter title text in the editor, then click the "add/remove chapter" icon. Chapters will be added to your table of contents in the order that you add them. (Note: after you've added a chapter, be careful not to hit the return/enter key in the middle of a chapter heading - that will add blank chapter headings. If you do this by accident, don't worry. You can delete the blank chapter headings in the editor.)

To remove a chapter, delete the chapter anchor and section break.

To reorder chapters, delete current chapter anchors and insert new chapter anchors in the order you want them to appear in the table of contents. 

Once you've completed this, you can preview your table of contents and make any changes you deem necessary.

I hope that's helpful. Please email us at support AT bookcountry DOT com if we can help clarify any of this, too.

Lucy Silag

Book Country Community and Engagement Manager

Lucy Silag
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2013 10:52 AM

Nevena put up this really great "how-to-upload" guide on the Book Country blog this morning--I love it! Might be helpful as you are figuring out your TOC.

Jump to different Forum...