RSS Feed Print
Why can I post for review but can't read my own work?
Lisa Michelle
Posted: Thursday, August 1, 2013 10:17 PM

I am not very tech savvy as I thought I was.

After it taking me a long time to figure out how to post chapters. Now when I click on my book to read it a little circle with a slash down the middle of it comes on.

*sigh*

Any help?

Suggestions?

Thank you

Lisa

Lucy Silag
Posted: Friday, August 2, 2013 11:31 AM

Hi Lisa! So excited that you posted A DIFFERENT SHADE OF BLACK on Book Country! And we are very glad to have you here as a BC member. Welcome!

So, what you experienced where you can't see your MS the way other BC members see it is not a glitch: It's actually by design.The idea is that it's not helpful to review our own work, so the "Read & Review" feature is disabled when we try to open our BC books when we click on that button.

To look at your book, go to your dashboard (http://www.bookcountry.com/book/tools/mydashboard.aspx) and open your project in the online editor. It will say, "Draft 2" in red, but you don't actually have to create a new draft. You can look at the manuscript, and when you are done, you can just click on the "Book Country" logo in the top lefthand corner in order to return to your logged-in homepage. It will not post a new draft unless you click on "post." If you click on "save," it will save an identical draft in your dashboard (provided you looked at the MS and did not make any changes to it before pushing save). Does this make sense? Please let me know and I can edit this post to clarify if need be.

I definitely understand the impulse to want to look at what you posted! I do it all the time!!

Happy writing and looking forward to checking out A DIFFERENT SHADE OF BLACK!

Lucy Silag

Book Country Community and Engagement Manager

Mari Adkins
Posted: Friday, August 2, 2013 4:34 PM
so
 there's not an option to look at it after it's uploaded to make sure it's all uploaded properly and not a mess?
Lucy Silag
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 9:33 AM

Hi everybody,

Just wanted to post a quick update on this in case others are browsing this thread--

We have enhanced the online reader so that members can see their own books once they have posted them for review. You just can't review your own book on Book Country. But you are now able to see what it looks like to other members in the reader.

To do so, go to your book, click on "Read & Review." The text of your book should appear.

Thanks for this and all your feedback as we develop the site!

Lucy

Book Country Community and Engagement Manager

--edited by Lucy Silag on 9/12/2013, 9:34 AM--

Jump to different Forum...