RSS Feed Print
Have a new War and Military Fiction project to workshop on Book Country? Need readers? Share here!
Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Tuesday, July 2, 2013 9:59 AM

Hi there, new recruits!

Since War and Military Fiction was just added to Book Country, I assume most of you are new here. Don't be shy! If you have a newly-posted manuscript on Book Country, and are seeking readers & feedback, here's the place to talk about it. Go for it.

Nevena

BC Coordinator

--edited by Nevena Georgieva on 7/2/2013, 10:00 AM--

Rob Emery
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2014 2:29 PM

Oddly the above post on war and military fiction was posted in 2013 and no one has added anything to date.  I do have a sci-fi/time travel piece that evolves into an Earth invasion/war scenario. It is called 'Time Bronc' by Rob Emery and has been uploaded for your review.

I've been on Bookcountry for only a short time and have gotten a couple of reviews of my work.  From fairly harsh to very kind, I covet them all.

Elizabeth Moon
Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2014 2:04 AM

I don't have an ongoing project of this type, but have written and published a number of military-based SF and fantasy works, and am a military veteran who's also done a lot of study of military history and read a boatload of military fiction of various kinds (SF, fantasy, historical, etc.)   So I'm up for discussions about what works and doesn't for different kinds of readers of milfic.
robwilliams01
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 8:04 PM

I recently added the first few chapters of my first attempt at writing a novel.  The book details the training that insurgents and western soldiers go through, the differences and reasons why they train in the manner that makes them effective soldiers.  Although the story is fictional the facts contained are academically researched and drawn from my own military experience.  The goal of the book was to give the reader a better understanding of modern conflict.

I would appreciate feedback, good or bad.

ChuckB
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2014 1:41 PM

I've tried writing a couple of things about Vietnam. I never finished 2 pages. 

Somewhere, stuffed in a drawer or box, I've got 7 or 8 pages of a fictional story that I began about the War Between the States (Civil War, War of Northern Aggression, War for Southern Freedom, etc - pick a name). It involves two regular soldiers in the Southern Army just after Gettysburg. I had planned to take them out of Pennsylvania and back to Virginia and safety. Just those few days.

Everybody knows about Gettysburg. They know the Army of Northern Virginia retreated back to Virginia. What happened during those days between Gettysburg and reaching safety? Hundreds of wounded men died (no one knows the exact number), nearly 2 thousand were captured by Yankee cavalry, and several small, unheard of, battles were fought. 

I thought a fictional novel of a couple of Southern soldiers, their opinions, attitudes, problems etc would be fun.

Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2014 4:36 PM

Hey, Chuck--fascinating premise for a book. Have you started drafting anything yet? Would be curious to see you post something once you have put a chapter or 2 together!
Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2014 5:23 PM

Hi @Rob--thanks for posting about your book as well. Is it a novel or nonfiction? I couldn't tell from the book's description.

Looking forward to finding out more about it.

Lucy

ChuckB
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2014 12:14 AM

robwilliams01 wrote:

I recently added the first few chapters of my first attempt at writing a novel.  The book details the training that insurgents and western soldiers go through, the differences and reasons why they train in the manner that makes them effective soldiers.  Although the story is fictional the facts contained are academically researched and drawn from my own military experience.  The goal of the book was to give the reader a better understanding of modern conflict.

I would appreciate feedback, good or bad.

Welcome home, Rob. Keep at your novel. I'm waiting to see how you bring it all together. I don't remember if I mentioned in my review that I follow the line of thought that says get it written before worrying about getting it right. 

--edited by ChuckB on 10/18/2014, 12:15 AM--

Jump to different Forum...