RSS Feed Print
Have a new Young Adult/Middle Grade project to workshop on Book Country? Need readers? Start HERE.
Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 11:44 AM

As a YA fangirl, I am so excited to welcome you & your young adult/middle grade projects! ~squeals with glee~ 

If you have a new project or draft on Book Country and need feedback, THIS is the place to talk about it. Make sure you link to your book so it's easy for folks to find and review it.

Good luck! 

Nevena 

Book Country Coordinator

Atthys Gage
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2013 12:53 PM

I'm surprised no one has jumped in here yet, but I'll be first.

I have posted the first few chapters of a mg/ya book called Spark.   I call it contemporary fantasy but paranormal is probably more accurate.  It could equally well be classified as science fiction, though it has few trappings of that genre either.)

Alright, so here's the what.    Fifteen year old Francy MacMillan is followed home by a  bauble of light.  It glows, it floats, it talks inside her head and shares her sensations and memories.  But what is it?  A lost extraterrestrial?  A shard of pure consciousness?  A figment of her imagination?  Whatever it is, it seems to like her.

But all is not well in West Lumley.  Downtown, homeless men are dying from unknown causes, their bodies shriveled away to almost nothing.  Spark leads Francy and friends into the heart of this mystery – and into a bizarre parallel world where creatures wait for their opportunity to cross into our world – with toxic results.

There's also a picnic, and a stupid party, and a really important basketball game – plus Owen Owens, who just might get around to kissing Francy one of these days, assuming the world doesn't end first.  

--edited by Atthys Gage on 7/3/2013, 2:43 PM--

MariAdkins
Posted: Tuesday, July 2, 2013 10:03 PM

Atthys Gage wrote:I'm surprised no one has jumped in here yet, but I'll be first.

I didn't jump in as I normally would have because I was out of town for two weeks. Second week involved a funeral. I'm just now getting somewhat back to things. A little at a time.

I'll be very happy to see this section grow! Very exciting.

But what is it?  A lost extraterrestrial?  A shard of pure consciousness?  A figment of her imagination? Whatever it is, it seems to like her.

Sounds fun!

When I've got more time and my head is a bit more clear, I'll post about Destiny.

MariAdkins
Posted: Tuesday, July 2, 2013 10:14 PM
Atthys, your link took me to the actual book editor, not to your story. embarrassed

Atthys Gage
Posted: Wednesday, July 3, 2013 2:41 PM

Mari.  Sorry.  Technophobe that I am, I obviously should never try anything as fancy as hyperlinks.   I'll see if I can fix that without crashing the World Wide Web.
MariAdkins
Posted: Friday, July 5, 2013 12:24 PM

i  found it!

this is it:

http://www.bookcountry.com/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=3776 tongueout 

--edited by MariAdkins on 7/5/2013, 12:25 PM--

MAS Douglas
Posted: Sunday, July 7, 2013 4:51 PM

Hi,  i recently uploaded my book Omega. well not that recently, but today i uploaded a new chapter.

so obviously it is a work in progress.

This is how i would classify it: it is a YA novel with elements of  science fiction. There is a romantic theme interwoven in the story, at the moment i haven't posted the most interesting part of the romance (Trust me its quite a twist). the characters are on the older side for a YA novel, the main character is 17 going on 18 and all of the other characters are older than him except for one who is 4 years old.

Plot: Eric's life hasn't been normal. a few years ago he was in a car accident that ended with his parents' death and left him in a coma for 8 months. once he woke up from his rather strange coma he went to go live with his Aunt, who is eccentric to say the least.

They have a fight which causes him to get quite upset and in the process he causes a glass of water in the other room to 'jump' off of the counter and shatter on the floor, some other things happen too but i don't want to give them away.

His aunt seems to know something about his new found talent and calls an old friend of hers. before Eric knows it he's using his abilities to travel to parallel universes in search of the answers to who he is (and of course because it's an adventurewink)

http://www.bookcountry.com/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=4271

Atthys Gage
Posted: Sunday, July 7, 2013 6:01 PM

Mari.  Thanks for the fix!
MariAdkins
Posted: Sunday, July 7, 2013 9:37 PM
no problem! glad to see you're still here.
Wayne Norris
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2013 3:01 AM

Hello,

My name is Wayne Norris and I write books as a hobby. Because my last publisher sold out to another company, I've had to upload my manuscripts here. Oh, well...

I like to write books about mysteries from the past and, although most of my books are intended for adult reading, I just uploaded my second book, entitled "Jesse".

It's about a team of teenage girls investigating the possibility that Jesse James faked his death and continued fighting for the South. 

A lot of research went into this book, researching both sides of the issue, and I came across some interesting facts.

If you like solving mysteries, this will have you shaking your head. wink

Lucy Silag
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2013 8:00 AM

Hi Wayne!

Your book sounds like a lot of fun. So glad you're a member of Book Country--excited to check out your work!

I don't see your manuscripts uploaded yet, so be sure and let us know when you've posted them. 

Here's a quick video that I think is a good intro to how BC works:

http://www.bookcountry.com/Publish/HowItWorks/Videos/WelcomeToBookCountry.aspx

Let me know if you have any questions about how to use the site.

Lucy Silag

Book Country Community and Engagement Manager

Wayne Norris
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2013 9:38 PM

I just opened my book for review and would appreciate one or two readers taking a look at it. It was published as a ebook on another site that no longer exists, so I came here. The only previous feedback I received was from family and friends, so you know how bias their opinion was. lol. Anyways, here's the link: http://www.bookcountry.com/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=4791 . It's a unique (and slightly strange) story about a team of young girls investigating the possibility that Jesse James faked his death and continued to live long after, assuming different identities.
Lisa Michelle
Posted: Thursday, August 8, 2013 3:19 AM

I would love it if you guys could read "A Different Shade of Black." Me not being to tech savvy accidentally blended in chapter two and three together.

It's a YA/URBAN/FANTASY NOVEL:

Becky is all too familiar with death as her parents died shortly after her fifteenth birthday in a tragic car accident. Now eighteen Becky is relying on her best friend Lizzie for a place to call home. Becky just starting to figure out 'life' meets a troubled young man with a dark fate named Layne. Instantly the two embark on a brief romance before Layne goes reportedly missing. Two weeks Later Layne is back and has changed in grooming to become the next Grim Reaper.  As Becky deals more with the loss and grief over another tragedy, she starts to put the pieces of the puzzle together to form a bigger picture one that could lead to revelation and heartbreak.

It's a coming of age story as well.

http://www.bookcountry.com/Bookdetail.aspx?BookId=4882

Thank you,

Lisa

Aira Philipps
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2013 6:10 AM

Hi everyone!

I would love to have an opinion on my book Rise of the White Raven,

Love blooms. Prophecy unfolds. Evil awaits. And it’s only spring Break. Deidra thought she was a typical seventeen year old girl who had transformed from the dirty little tomboy she used to be. Sarcastic and independent, Deidra is trying to live a normal life. It is spring break and Deidra is in love. Cian is a boy draped in mystery and danger, and drop dead gorgeous. Deidra thought it would be the best spring break ever. No such luck. Deidra finds herself the center of a prophecy she was born to fulfill as a reincarnated being murdered centuries ago. As her love grows, so does the danger. Cian awaits her return as the love he lost, but her murderer Semiazas, a dark winged monster that destroyed her centuries ago, will have her love or watch her die…again. Deidra must battle her fears of the unknown to become what she was born to be, the greatest protector of man.

Thanks for any help I can get on this project

--edited by Aira Philipps on 8/27/2013, 6:11 AM--

Lucy Silag
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2013 10:22 AM

Hi, @Aira! Lovely to see you here on Book Country!

The description of your book is awesome, can't wait to check it out!

Since it looks like you are new to the community, I thought I'd point out a few resources to you to peruse at your leisure: our FAQ, a video tutorial that provides a nice overview of the site, and this blog post designed to help new BC members join in.

Welcome to Book Country and please let me know if you need anything!

Lucy Silag

Chumplet
Posted: Monday, September 2, 2013 9:12 PM

Hi, Nevena and howzit going to everybody else!

Some of you know about my WIP Mallet over in the Mystery section, but I decided to post my literary young adult novel FROM EVERYWHERE TO HERE, which I've been querying for a while.

It came close to representation a few times, but no dice. I hope to find out if the novel will appeal to either young adults who are curious about another place and another time, and also for nostalgic adults who miss the pop culture of the Seventies, with a Mallorcan twist.

designsjohn
Posted: Saturday, September 7, 2013 2:25 PM

Chumplet wrote:

Hi, Nevena and howzit going to everybody else!

Some of you know about my WIP Mallet over in the Mystery section, but I decided to post my literary young adult novel FROM EVERYWHERE TO HERE, which I've been querying for a while.

It came close to representation a few times, but no dice. I hope to find out if the novel will appeal to either young adults who are curious about another place and another time, and also for nostalgic adults who miss the pop culture of the Seventies, with a Mallorcan twist.

New to here and just uploaded a YA book?  So I came to this group to read what is happening.

Aira Philipps
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2013 7:00 PM

I'm posting again, because my first post was pre-review, and I was new and kinda lost on here. Now I feel more at home.

I came to Book Country after attending an on line interview on twitter. I had thought after getting an agent I was home free. No such luck, I learned the hard way that not all agents are reputable. Even though it took months to shake myself free and it turned out to be a disaster, I learned so much. The experience made me timid to start again. Then I participated in the twitter interview that gave me the heart to try again. My biggest fear was sharing my book and finding out it was no good, but I took the leap. I have had some great feed back on here and so glad I came.

The idea for 'Rise of the White Raven' came from my own memories of a younger me, and my vivid imagination living out in the sticks in a well to do town. I also was a speed reader at a young age, and took to myth like a fish to water. I was surprised when I sat down how fast the words filled the screen.

My main character Deidra had some gifts in reading people, and seeing spirits that she only shared with her father. Like most little kids she also had terrible nightmares, that eventually passed as she got older. Her nightmares return about the same time a new boy, Cian moves into town.

I'm having a hard time knowing what the high points are to feel confident in my query, but long story short...

Deidra finds out her fathers family who is from a long forgotten Sioux tribe, believes she is a reborn Thunderbird from a legend passed down for generations. Cian who says he has always loved her was there the day her former self died, Deidra is having a hard time excepting it. They are shapeshifters of sorts but they have no memory of what they are. Nelphim, Thunder Birds, Ananaki? Cian and Deidra's family are watching and waiting for her transformation, but the creature that killed her centuries ago is watching as well, and will have her love her watch her die..again.

It's the twists and turns that make it hard for me to sum it up. I finally have the book where I want it, but it is it good enough for the public?  I hope so.

http://www.bookcountry.com/Bookdetail.aspx?BookId=5086

--edited by Aira Philipps on 10/24/2013, 7:03 PM--

Lucy Silag
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2013 9:44 AM

Hi Aira,

Thanks for posting. It's really great to hear a little more about your "back story" of coming to Book Country, though I hate to hear about members having yucky experiences with agents who aren't above board--how awful.

In the meantime, it's so great that you are back in the saddle again, writing, finding an audience, and seeking publication. You go, girl!

Looking forward to checking out RISE OF THE WHITE RAVEN!

Lucy

TerminalVerbosity
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2014 11:15 AM

I'm new to Book Country and to writing for children, but I'm enjoying both immensely. 

I recently completed the first round of edits on my first middle-grade novel. Inspired by a striking setting I encountered on holiday in Spain this past summer, THE OUTLANDS turned into a frenzied NaNoWriMo project. Now I've done a first round of edits to smooth out the bumps and would like to get some feedback on it.

I've posted the first chapter here: http://www.bookcountry.com/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=6149

I'm happy to trade edits with other writers--I'm writing full time these days, so I try to make plenty of time in my week for reading and editing!

Julie

C. Kretts
Posted: Thursday, February 6, 2014 3:08 PM
Hello all! My name is Brandon Alston and I write middle grade fiction under the pen name C. Kretts. I'm brand new to the site and can't wait to read some of the great works posted by other members. I'm looking forward to some feedback on my own work as well. One question though, it is customary to post whole manuscripts on here on just a few chapters?
Lucy Silag
Posted: Thursday, February 6, 2014 5:47 PM

Hi Brandon!

Welcome to Book Country! So exciting to have another YA fan and writer here in the community.

Just sent you a connection request so that we can be in touch. Please let me know what I can help you with here on Book Country!

Lucy

Book Country Community and Engagement Member

C. Kretts
Posted: Saturday, February 8, 2014 3:17 PM

Hello all! I've just posted the first three chapters of my middle grade novel, SK Files: The Quarter Stone Thefts. I'd love to get your feedback. Enjoy your weekend!

Here's the link: http://www.bookcountry.com/Bookdetail.aspx?BookId=6263

leslief1952
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2014 9:13 PM

I'm new to Book Country, too.  Just uploaded my manuscript to Young Adult/Middle Grade a couple days ago and am anxiously waiting to receive some feedback. 

My story, Sweet Caroline (only a place holder title, not sure what the real title will be) is about 12 year old Caroline Martina.  She's an army brat and has been moved across country numerous times in her short life, but she is hoping this duty station will be the one she and her family get to settle down in.

After moving into their new house, Caroline realizes she's being watched, and when she tells her dad about it, his response is much different than she thought it would be.  She finds that her mom and dad have been involved in a search for mysterious artifacts for all of their adult lives, since even before she was born, and they have decided it's time to let her in on the family secret.

In the course of the story, Caroline meets new people, makes new friends, and discovers that the world is a lot different than she had always believed.

I'm not sure how to post a link.  It took me two weeks and lots of help from Brandi to even get my manuscript posted.

I would appreciate any suggestions/constructive criticism I receive.

Leslie

--edited by leslief1952 on 5/13/2014, 6:05 PM--

Janet Umenta, Book Country Assistant
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 4:19 PM

Hi Leslie,

I’m happy you posted your work, Sweet Caroline, on Book Country.

I wanted to help you place a link on your thread that will direct someone to your book page (just as I did above). Here is a guide:

1. First, highlight the text you want to link. In the above case, I highlighted “Sweet Caroline.” 
  2. Next, on the bar above the white box you type your message in, you should see this button: Hyperlink Manager. Click on this button. This button will open a new window. 
  3. Copy the full link of the book page and place it in the “URL” box in the new window.
  4. Click OK.
  5. In your text box, you should see “Sweet Caroline” underlined. This means it is linked.

If you have any questions, feel free to message me.

leslief1952
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 6:14 PM

Thanks for your  help.  I'm not sure what I did wrong, but my computer is telling me that it can't connect to the link.  Could you try and see if you can connect to the link.  I guess it doesn't matter whether I can or not.  Thanks again.

Leslie

leslief1952
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 7:16 PM
Where is the subscribe button.  I can't find it and I'd like to follow some of these discussions.
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 10:58 AM

Hi Leslie,

To subscribe to a discussion board or thread, first click on the small envelope icon, which is at the top of page under the "Discussions" header. The envelope icon looks like this: Subscribe/Unsubscribe.You will then be given the option to receive email notifications for all new posts or only replies to your posts. Then click  the "Add Subscription" button. For more information on this, you can read our blog post: Using the Book Country Discussion Boards.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions. 

AnnieMay
Posted: Thursday, October 9, 2014 8:44 PM

If people are still looking at this, I have a book that I'm working on right now. The book is called Little Yellow Bow and it's a Young Adult Romance, and I would love some feedback! 

http://www.bookcountry.com/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=6122

Posted: Friday, October 10, 2014 12:40 PM

Thanks for sharing Annie!
jmenefee1
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2014 5:15 PM

Hello,

I have a first chapter up of my lovely attempt at a good story for the 10-12 year olds of the world. I hope for a broader readership one day, but this is the start. Really looking to see if the first chapter grabs you, and leaves you wanting more.

It is titled The Wood.

http://www.bookcountry.com/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=7297

Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2014 11:19 AM

Hi @jmenefee1--thanks for introducing yourself and welcome to Book Country!

Your cover is indeed gorgeous--did you take the photo yourself? Where is it?

Please let me know if you need any help with anything here on Book Country.

Lucy Silag

Book Country Community Manager

--edited by Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager on 10/20/2014, 11:20 AM--

RB
Posted: Saturday, November 1, 2014 7:44 PM

Hi all! I've posted the first few chapters of a middle grade book I'm working on. I'm trying to get it ready to submit to an agent, so feedback would be greatly appreciated

The most frightening thing in 13-year-old Livy’s life is the promise of a birthday surprise from her crazy best friend Karen. Until the day Livy wakes up at home one afternoon with everyone telling her she fainted on the schoolyard. But she knows she didn’t. She also knows that the last thing she saw was people in black throwing Karen into the back of a van. The problem is, no one believes her. Not her friends at school, not Karen’s parents, not even her own Gran. Everyone around Livy seems to be remembering things that never happened, and forgetting things that did. The only one besides Livy who believes that something is going on is Sam, the local teenage delinquent, who terrifies her. And worst of all, the people who took Karen may be coming for Livy, too …

With no idea of where to go or who to trust, Livy and Sam have to find out what happened to Karen and why. They have to figure out a way to rescue her. And, they have to stay alive in the process, which might prove to be the hardest trick of all.

And here is the link:

http://www.bookcountry.com/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=7337

Thanks so much! I'm excited to be part of this group.

Ruth

Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager
Posted: Monday, November 3, 2014 9:48 AM

Hi Ruth--the premise of your book sounds great--and terrifying! Just sent you a connection request. Thanks so much for posting about it (with the link--always helpful) and I'm looking forward to reading it.

Please let me know if I can help you find your way around the site. Welcome!

Lucy

Eric Bratcher
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2015 5:56 PM

Hi everyone! 

I've just posted a chunk of my MG adventure, The Spider Queen and the Lizard King. It's targeted toward boys aged 10-14. 

The story is about twin brothers who discover they have a long-lost younger brother who was kidnapped at birth. They set out to rescue him, but run into hidden civilizations, mysterious artifacts, pirates, a ninja, and an evil geneticist who loves chucking monsters in their path. 

I would love feedback from anyone who has the time and inclination to offer it. Please feel free to give it a read and let me know what you think! 

http://www.bookcountry.com/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=7806

PS - Please don't pull any punches, either. I want to tear this thing apart and rebuild it better than ever. So no hard feelings, I promise. Thanks!

--edited by Eric Bratcher on 3/16/2015, 5:58 PM--

Megan Christopher
Posted: Friday, October 2, 2015 12:42 PM

Hi everyone! I've been lurking on this site for a while, but have decided to take the plunge to get some feedback on my YA fantasy, The Practical Orphan's Guide to Surviving a Fairy Tale. I've got the first five chapters up, and hope to add the rest over the course of the month.

Fourteen-year-old Kate Kincaid decides logic and reason are her only defenses when moving in with her lion-taming aunt, her uncle the spy, and her grandmother - a real witch. So when she is sucked through a glowing orange portal contained inside a cardboard box in the attic, Kate relies on her common sense and uncommon wit as she runs for her life through a prison built around familiar fairy tales. Neighborhood trouble-makers Drew, Travis, and Marty Porter join Kate’s reluctant quest through the Realm to find the fabled ‘Sleeping Girl’ who supposedly has the power to send them home. In seeking to understand her new relatives and her place in their weird world, Kate discovers her own truth about family and that Happily Ever After is really just a place to start. - See more at: http://www.bookcountry.com/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=8543

--edited by Megan Christopher on 10/2/2015, 12:43 PM--

Brenda Frank
Posted: Tuesday, November 3, 2015 10:00 PM

Hello YA readers,

My historical YA novel, The Leader of the Band, is now posted in its entirety on  Book Country. I invite you to read it.

Jenna blames her mother for her parents' divorce when they are forced to move to Richwood, Ohio, in June of 1963 because of Mrs. Kerby's new job as English teacher at the high school. Jenna has given up her friends, her father, and her home. She is bored and lonely and wants only to make friends with the popular "good kids" in town. They all belong to the marching band, so she reluctantly becomes a flag bearer and learns to march in step under the tyrannical leadership of director Mel Tigenhoff. Jenna readily joins in with her new friends when they make fun of gorky sophomore drum major Harry Betcher and his trombone virtuoso girlfriend, Julia Camp. As the band marches on from Labor Day to Homecoming to the last football game in November, Jenna learns that careless bullying can destroy not only its target but also the bully. Even though she tries to take a stand for what is right , she cannot forgive herself for what she has done. - See more at: http://www.bookcountry.com/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=8583#sthash.i5oF0J4F.dpuf

Brenda Frank

D'Estaing
Posted: Thursday, November 5, 2015 8:38 AM

There's a more proactive and helpful YA thread on here, called YALF, administered by AP George. In return for reviewing a series of other YA books, you will, in your turn, get a significant number of reviews from other YA authors. Check it out. Brenda Frank, above, is already on it.

Jump to different Forum...