RSS Feed Print
Do You Go to Conferences?
Brandi Larsen
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 12:46 PM

Do you go to writing or publishing conferences? If so, which ones? What do you hope to get out of them?

Brandi Larsen
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 12:52 PM

I should mention that I attended Digital Book Work and Tools of Change so far this year.  I wanted to know what was going on in the industry and meet new contacts. (And look for things I could share with you -- I brought back a lot from Tools of Change. I wrote a blog post today about one aspect, and I'll keep sharing more.)

I went to AWP as a writer. I wanted to be in a room filled with other writers and hear about how they approached their work. It was a good experience for me.

You should know -- we're putting together the list of what conferences Book Country will try to attend this year. Are there conferences you think we should join?

NoellePierce
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2013 9:34 PM

I normally go to one national conference and my local chapter writing conference, but this year, because the national RWA conference is in my town, I'm going to two nationals! I'll be at the Romantic Times (RT) convention in May, and RWA in July, and the Georgia Romance Writers' Moonlight & Magnolias conference in October. 

I go to RT for networking, and occasional workshops...but mostly networking. And fangirling. (Yes, I made that word up. I have my own dictionary. ) In fact, I met Colleen Lindsay at RT last year, which was fabulous. And from afar, I saw Kerry Schafer, though I wasn't able to speak with her. At RT, there are more indie and self-pubbed authors, and since I'm a freelance cover designer, I see RT as more of a way to promote my design business, rather than focusing on my writing side. 

I attend RWA more for the craft workshops, with less emphasis on networking. This is where I'm focused on my writing. Overall, this conference seems to have more of a professional atmosphere, compared to RT's fun/party atmosphere. 

The M&M conference is one where I'd blend the two--networking and learning the craft--more equally, but for the next three years, I'm one of the organizers, so my attendance is going to include putting out fires and making sure everything goes smoothly. 
Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Monday, April 22, 2013 2:43 PM

Noelle, 

Colleen is moderating a panel with Kerry Schafer at RT, so be sure to find them and say hello! =)
NoellePierce
Posted: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 7:08 PM

Definitely! That's where I met Colleen last year. In fact, I sat at a table next to the two of them one morning. I didn't interrupt, but I knew who they were. 

...wow, that makes me sound like a stalker, doesn't it?
chatebooks
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2016 1:52 PM

I believe attending workshops and conferences can be a learning experience not only for new authors but also for those who've been in the industry for years. You'll get writing tips, network with other authors and even market yourself and your books. 

ChatEbooks recently posted https://www.chatebooks.com/blog-Dont-Want-to-Join-Book-Clubs-Try-Finding-a-Book-Buddy-Instead

DJ Lutz
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2016 7:44 PM

For something a little different, but well worth the money - try one of the Random House "open house" events. They have a few each year. But be alert, know when the tickets go on sale. This past event sold out in less than 34 minutes. Yes, minutes.

It's geared for the readers, but as a writer, I learned so much about the business by attending. It's like playing for a decent college baseball team, and then getting to spend the day with the Yankees. Or Red Sox. Or insert name of your team here.

Check it out here http://www.randomhousebooks.com/events/  Bonus: you get free books, snacks, and wine.

Jump to different Forum...