RSS Feed Print
BookSwim - Netflix for Books?
JRVogt
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2011 7:28 PM

Here's BookSwim's main site: http://www.bookswim.com/index.html

Basically a Netflix model for "renting" books. 

My initial reaction is this:

1. Are you kidding me?
2. Go to a library.
3. I'll be extremely surprised if this lasts long.
4. The price points are way off. If you're paying $9.95 a month for just 1 book, why not just buy the book in paperback?
5. God, I love my Kindle (insert e-reader of your choice). 
6. And seriously. Libraries. Check 'em out.

What's your take? 

Michelle L Ross
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 1:04 PM

I checked out the site and could not keep from laughing at the idiocy of that business model. One could download free or very cheap e-books for less. And honestly, if I am going to pay that much for renting a book, I would rather just go out and purchase it. Like you, I do not think this will last long.
stephmcgee
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 3:08 PM

I don't see it lasting long either. Especially given that you can check books out of a library for free.
Danielle Bowers
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 3:27 PM

This business model will never work, it's like that DIVIX thing that came out about ten years ago. You buy DVD's in a kiosk that will go blank in a week. Or the service Disney thought about launching in 2000 that would charge you each time you watched a movie. If you had kids, you would know that once a kid loves a movie it will be on infinite repeat for two months.

If this service came out around the same time Netflix did, it MIGHT have been worth it. With all the ebook services available, why bother? I can buy the ebook of any new release for that price.

If I want to borrow a book that smells like cigarette smoke and cat pee, I'll go to the library.
Danielle Bowers
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 11:54 PM

Here is an ebook swapping service, I haven't tried this out yet. http://ebookfling.com/how.html

ETA: After figuring out how to loan books from my kindle to RJBlain, I hit that site and listed some of my available titles. As soon as Val McDermid's A PLACE OF EXECUTION hit the lists, someone borrowed it for two weeks from me and I got a credit to borrow a book. I just downloaded THE HUNGER GAMES TRILOGY. Score.

Downside, only a few of my kindle ebooks were loanable. I think out of all the titles on my kindle I have four that could be listed.
drakevaughn
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 7:57 AM

Try paperbackswap.com if you're looking for a way to get some cool books. I cleared out all my shelves and am working my way through some lost classics. I adore ebooks, but sometimes swapping for free is cheaper.

Jump to different Forum...