RSS Feed Print
Do small publishing creds mean anything?
sheadakota
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2011 10:38 PM

I have several books published with a small publishing house. This an e-publisher that does not pay advances, just royalties. I have been told that to mention these in a query letter doesn't help me at all, in fact it may even hurt. One agent (on  a forum I frequent) even said that if a publisher didn't pay (with an advance) to publish your work then they risked nothing and gives no value to your work. ( I am paraphrasing here)

Just curious about opinions on this. I want an agent this time around and always thought my publishing creds would help, but I am learning that might not be the case.

Michael R Underwood
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 1:33 PM

I'd say they're worth noting if the books have moved a good number of units. If you've sold 5000 copies of your epub book, that's totally worth noting. However, I suspect that your books would have to be doing rather well for it to be a worthwhile mention in querying for another project.
Colleen Lindsay
Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2011 3:38 AM

Sheadakota -

It depends upon the publisher, really, There are a lot of really great small publishers - both print and ebook only - who don't offer advances of any kind. But they'd certainly count as as publishing credit. Lots of things factor in to this: How was the book acquired? Did you work with an editor to improve your book or was it published as is? Is it a publisher that an agent is likely to have heard of? Did you ever actually receive any royalties? All these are important questions.
sheadakota
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 4:07 PM

Colleen,

Thanks for chiming in- I submitted the book via a query, they offered me a contract and yup several rounds of copy amd line edits then galley proofs. I have recieved royalties every month some in the four digits- But the pub is small, probably not one an agent might know-

But you have given me hope- that perhaps I should mention my creds after all- but should I mention the above ina query- seems wrong to do that to me-
Colleen Lindsay
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 10:06 PM

Then I would say yes, this counts as a legit publishing credit.
sheadakota
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 11:31 PM

Very cool- thank you!

Annabelle R Charbit
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 1:55 AM

Dear Sheadakota
Firstly congratulations on your publications. They certainly sound legit.
Secondly, I am wondering whether you would share the love and let us know the name of your publisher
Thanks
Annabelle

Marissa Priest
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2011 8:19 PM

I seem to find myself in a similar circumstance. I have one book with a small publisher, and I just get royalties. They approached me to publish it, but all the editing and everything else was on my shoulders. They just took it and put it into print. So, would I leave that out of queries? I know it's not much but a lot of agencies and publishing houses won't even look at you if you have nothing in print.
LilySea
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 2:46 PM

There does seem to be an explosion of these small, e-only, or e-mostly presses all of a sudden. Or maybe I've just discovered them since I got interested in going that route with some of my work.

Thanks, Colleen for giving some point to consider when choosing which presses to try and what will or won't further a more traditional route for other work.

Jump to different Forum...