RSS Feed Print
Writing Around the Rest of Your Life
RebeccaStevenson
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 12:02 PM

This is sort of a survey-type question, I guess, but I am often curious as to how other writers deal with the challenge of *being* writers in addition to holding down a job and caring for a family? Of finding time not just to write, but to read, to research, to deal with the social media foofarol, and all the rest of it?

I try to read during my commute, and I generally have an hour between when the kids go to bed and when I have to crash, too, which can be used for writing. It's not much time, and sometimes it just doesn't seem worth it. I was doing really well for a couple of months, averaging 1,000 words a day on the new book (first chapter posted here), but recently hit a burn-out point and went almost a month without writing anything at all. I think I'm coming out of that now, but I wonder what other strategies there are?

stephmcgee
Posted: Monday, May 2, 2011 8:13 PM

I'm currently unemployed, looking for a job. The challenge there is to get the motivation to write after a discouraging day of job hunting. Today just to squeeze in some reading time, I took a slower pace on the treadmill for a longer period of time and read while I walked. (Which I can only do on the treadmill when I'm not worrying about running into things. It's a habit I developed in grad school because sometimes that was the only place I could manage to get the uninterrupted reading time. I also did reading assignments for classes while on the treadmill. It was mostly poetry.)

Sometimes I'll mute the commercials when I'm watching TV and do short bursts that way to get wordage in on the WiPs. I'll write poetry before bed or in the middle of the night if the muse strikes.

I carry a notebook with me most places and will jot down story ideas and random snippets of dialogue that come to me. Musings on where to go next in the WiP I'm working on go in there too. That way I'm always able to recapture the inspiration when it comes and I'm not by my computer.
Ellie Isis
Posted: Wednesday, May 4, 2011 1:03 AM

I'm a teacher, a wife, a mother, and a dog owner. Oh, and a writer.

It's a lot to juggle, sometimes. But I'm also ridiculous when it comes to finding time for reading and writing. I actually keep a to-do list which includes reading and writing as things that must be accomplished. Okay, that may seem extreme, but it gets the job done. I reward myself for completing less-pleasant chores by allowing myself to read a chapter of a novel I'm enjoying.

I also try to get out daily to write, someplace away from home and chores. This doesn't always happen, but it happens often enough.

Being a teacher, I do have a lot of time off, but until you've been in the profession for at least half a dozen years (I've been at it 17 years) you have a lot of take home work. Also, during longer breaks, like summer, teachers are often so burned out on anything creative that writing is actually very difficult. So it has its advantages and disadvantages.
Alexander Hollins
Posted: Thursday, May 5, 2011 7:30 PM

my primary writing time, at night, when everyone else is asleep, is currently hampered by a 3 month old and a desire to clean the house. ugh.
Ellie Isis
Posted: Friday, May 6, 2011 11:48 AM

Alexander, but have you waxed the cat, yet?

That's exactly why the hubby and I try to take our writing elsewhere to actually write. The local Starbucks, one mile away, is open until something like 2:00 A.M. And at least I have no desire to clean THEIR bathrooms.
Danielle Bowers
Posted: Friday, May 6, 2011 1:59 PM

Right now I work from home so I can stay home with my kids. Writing with the kids right there is difficult, but not impossible. Like Alexander, I do most of my writing when the house is asleep. Lately I've had less time for writing at night because of a consulting gig I landed that has me on Skype with my co-workers for hours at a time.

I do most of my story building while cleaning, I'll throw my headset on, grab the lysol and talk out the dialog. Same with while driving, I plot chapters out in my head, get a feel for dialog and what is going to happen and the second I can sit down and write, I make the most of the time I get.
Molly Bruce Barton
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2011 2:46 AM

Rebecca, I am so glad you started this discussion. LIfe is very full and I always enjoy hearing how people manage to squeeze in writing time. Keep the stories coming! It is inspiring for others to hear your strategy for making it happen and still getting the dishes done...at some point.
LilySea
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2011 4:07 AM

I've got a six- and a four-year old and my partner works out of town and is away 3-5 days a week. Fortunately, she is a college professor and in a month, will be home for the next year, because she is getting a long-deserved sabbatical.

I have cobbled together various freelance writing, editing and teaching gigs-- mostly online--since the kids arrived, and have done most of my work from home.

I find that the best pattern for me is to write after the kids are in bed, then peruse it the next morning while they are eating breakfast, for a quick revision.

Next year, I'll be substitute teaching at their school in addition to my freelance work, but I actually think that might free me to write more, because I won't be combing the Internet for more freelance work. I'll be getting enough paid labor in that I can write more in the spare moments I have. Now, I feel guilty for every minute I spend that isn't basic needs of the household and its occupants OR paid labor.

Looking forward to the day when writing fiction will be paid labor. I don't have to support us 100%, I just need that primary-parent bit of extra income. A nice mid-list career would suit me perfectly.

Until then...

Marc Poliquin
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 1:22 PM

I find I have to get up a couple of hours before work and squeeze whatever I can into that timeframe.  I also try to write two nights a week, and on the mornings on weekends, which used to work great as my wife liked to sleep in.  I've also developed the ability to tap the keys with my right index finger while using my left hand cradle and feed the baby his bottle. 

My iPad actually made writing on the go easier.  I had to go for an xray and found myself writing in the little change room on my ipad while waiting to be called into the examination room.   

Wilson Mitcham
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 9:21 AM

I've overloaded myself with my job, which involves teaching and coaching, being a night student, a dad of 2 boys under 4, and a husband. It's a great use of my tuition, but I usually write in class. I also "write" while I drive using voice memos. Unfortunately, transcription is a monster and I've found that the story really slips when I'm just "telling" it. 

Although, to finish school on time I am (stupidly) leaving my job. That should give me time at home during the day, while son 1 is at school and son 2 is...doing what 2 year olds do. Plus, my wife really gets pissed when I write instead of help out or study. So this may end up working out.
Alexandria Brim
Posted: Thursday, March 1, 2012 2:36 AM

I'm currently unemployed as well, though I am looking--economy and job market is still horrible. When I was working, I'd read either on my commute or on my lunch break. My Kindle made it easy to do so. I also brought my notebook with me to continue writing when I got a chance.

When my assignment ended, my sister tried to cheer me up by saying, "Well, now you have time to work on your novel!" And I did. I mostly write at night despite this, but that's when I get most of my inspiration.

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Thursday, March 1, 2012 8:58 PM

When I was a full time college student working a part time job (close to full time) I didn't write much. The only time I could write was for my creative writing classes and even then it was grueling because my professor didn't run a workshop like class. We had to write 7 stories, one every two weeks. To pass we had to make 25,000 words for the semester. That, with ten page papers, and my reading assignments, burned me out so bad that I didn't write for 2 months after I graduated. I had gotten married, moved, and because of the move, was unemployed. So all I did was sit on the couch, with Netflix, all day. 

If  you suffer burnout, don't force yourself to write  because then you're putting more pressure on yourself. I learned this my sophomore year in college. I pushed myself so bad, that I had a mental break down. I crashed, hard. Sometimes you just can't write, even if you want to. It is work (which most people don't seem to understand unless you are a writer) and taking a break is a good thing. Even with all my time now, I don't always average 1,000 words in a day. That is really good for your schedule. If you feel stressed, breathe. Seriously. I've ran myself ragged way too often to know the consequences.

My solution for the busy schedule, keep a notebook in your bag or purse with a few pens. Write when there is time. That is how I managed getting anything done at all. My current novel project is 9 years going. 

Jump to different Forum...