RSS Feed Print
Publish and/or Perish
Atthys Gage
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2015 12:33 PM

I've been too long a stranger to these boards. It's nice to see some old faces (names). 

As an old-timer who found some tiny measure of success (Hey! I got published!) only to find how tiny and transitory success could be (hey! I'm not published anymore!), I thought I'd share my story for anyone who might be interested. It's been an interesting year.  Anyway, I'm not sure what the protocol is for linking to blogposts here, but it's more fun with the gifs, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Here it is:  Publish and/or Perish, cross-posted at Speak More Light.

If anyone has had any similar experiences (or even better, radically different experiences) I'd love to hear more.

Atthys 

Mimi Speike
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2015 5:48 PM

Well, Atthys, as they say of self-publishing, the good is, anyone can be published. The bad, anyone can be published.

For me, it's liberating. I (for better or worse) can do what I want. Digressions, footnotes, political, all and everything that comes to mind. In one of my footnotes I thank Antonin Scalia for a phrase he used at just the time I was searching for a fun descriptive verb. Maybe accommodating the suggestions of a trad publisher were not onerous for you, for me they might be a joy-killer. You are familiar enough with my style to understand why. And so, I say, look on the bright side.

You have been judged marketable. That's something grand. Another publisher will think the same. Hang in there.

--edited by Mimi Speike on 8/26/2015, 7:06 PM--

Jump to different Forum...