RSS Feed Print
What books have influenced your writing?
Lucy Silag - Book Country Director
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2015 5:55 PM

Share the books--and how they influenced your writing--below!
Amber J. Wolfe
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2015 11:14 PM

Anne Bishop's Black Jewels Trilogy & Tir Alainn series have been the inspiration for my writing. She's, in my humble opinion, one of the best Fantasy authors ever. I like to think some of her Voice has leaked into my own writing, though I know more than likely it hasn't, since I'm not her. But her simple Style and deep Character Development has been the stuff I live off of. It's because of her I've found the courage and the skill to write out the more . . . dark . . . scenes in Destiny's Bond. If not for her, I might have shied away from the nitty-gritty, which would have been a darn shame, 'cause Destiny's Bond wouldn't be near what it is now without my reading her novels.

J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series is another source of inspiration. She has such a unique Style and fresh Voice, it reminds me that if you follow your own natural Style and Voice when writing, you'll go so much farther.

Last, Christine Feehan's Dark series--I list her because, with all three authors, you see the wide span of Voices and Styles out there. I like to think my Style and Voice will entertain others, as these three's entertain so many even today. Sometimes I go and read a novel by each of them in a row to compare the major difference in their writing styles, which there are many. Doing this gives me hope about my own Voice and Style.

So there, those are the books (and authors) who influence my writing.

1. Anne Bishop, Black Jewels Trilogy, Tir Alainn series

2. J.R. Ward, Black Dagger Brotherhood series

3. Christine Feehan, Dark series

Each of these authors and their books color how I write mine, but most of the writing comes from my heart. These guys are always in the back of my mind when I'm writing, though.

Amber

TheresaReel
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2015 10:34 AM

When I was in 9th grade, I read "The Once and Future King" by T.H. White; this was the book that made me want to write.  I tried to understand what it was about the writing that drew me to it and, after much 14 year old confusion, decided, "Aha!  He uses a LOT of prepositions!  It must be the prepositions!"
DianaRoseWilson
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2015 3:03 AM

I remember reading Dragonriders of Pern and Watership down in fifth grade and it changed my life. 

My early work always had some telepathic animal / human match-up, or I'd write about things from the animal's point of view.  I think I still suffer from being in love with Richard Adam's sprawling descriptions. It doesn't do me any favors--I can ramble on about the texture of a carpet for pages.

I still have dreams of creating a special world and inviting people in to share the view with me.  I loved that so much about the Pern books.  Actually, most books I enjoy the most have a rich world created for it.

More recently the Dresden Files books have inspired me to try writing in the real world with humans rather than fantasy and animals.  I'm fumbling my way through.

Jump to different Forum...