RSS Feed Print
Standing Desks?
Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager
Posted: Friday, January 9, 2015 11:19 AM

Is anybody doing the standing desk thing while they are writing?
Leslie J Portu
Posted: Friday, January 9, 2015 3:05 PM

Yes! I recently purchased a combination treadmill/standing desk and I can't say enough about it. It is great! As a writer I would spend hours on end sitting, which, as we have come to know, is not good for one's health. Now when I write I either stand or walk at a slow pace and it has totally changed the picture. I no longer get stiff and sore. And during the winter months, staying in motion helps ward off the cold. Nothing made my hands more freezing than holding them over a keyboard for the entire day. I highly recommend looking into it if you haven't already.
Amanda Kimberley
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 6:59 PM

My cousin has one. She uses it while she is composing music. I think they are a great idea, but they are not for me. My fibromyalgia illness prevents me from standing or sitting for long periods of time. I tend to use my sit-down time for writing because I enjoy my cushy office chair LOL!
Kawasaki
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2015 9:44 AM

I've been standing working (writing) for years now. Here's what I've learned.

It's important you don't always stand: alternate between standing and sitting. To do this, I raised my work desk on wooden blocks and added a small (folding) table to rest the keyboard on so that I can type comfortably while standing and typing. 

I bought a high chair  and use a plastic laundry basket upturned to rest my feet on, so that I can also sit and type. I use a mat with foam glued on the bottom to stand on to lessen the strain on my feet. To sit, I remove the mat and replace it with the foot stand and move the chair into position. This takes a few seconds to arrange. 

Benefits are no back pain. Stronger leg muscles: my legs no longer shake at night if I wake up and need to go to the loo. And I can tie my shoes standing.

Sitting is the new smoking, but standing all the time will bring on varicose veins and maybe fallen arches. Like everything in life, you need balance.

Jump to different Forum...