RSS Feed Print
Pokemon: Manga vs Games
Zach Heher
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2014 9:07 PM
Continuing my weekend of pokemon this one is for a friend of mine. This time I'm going to talk about the manga. Yes like anything that was popular in Japan, it received it's own manga series. There are actually two types of pokemon manga that I'm aware of: the one that loosely follows the anime series and the one that follows the games. 

In the manga, we follow the journey of Red, the manga counterpart of the main character in the original games. He aims to be the best pokemon trainer in the world and best his rival Blue, the manga counterpart in the games who I usually named "Assface". Red? Blue? Who named these kids? Any who, we do meet other characters from the games and come across new pokemon. I didn't read too much of the manga but when I did it got weird.

Weird is kind of an understatement compared to usual manga but this one takes the cake. The pokemon manga was actually a lot darker than you would expect. For example, pokemon actually die. There was one instance where one pokemon sliced another in half, revealing guts and everything. And you thought this was for kids. This stuff came from the one based off the games.

Also when the manga was being translated into English, censoring was made so it was appropriate for young readers. The biggest form of censorship was reducing the sizes of women's breast. Unfortunately, the manga does suffer the same problem most manga follow and that's giving big breasts on women. Don't even get me started on what they did to Misty.

Is the manga terrible? No, but it's still weird. But there is something to be appreciated. Like the games and anime, the manga takes it's readers on a journey to explore the world that the writers and artists created. I've brought this up before in my Naruto tribute and like I said this is a world we fans want to be apart of. The art and writing for these series are amazing and funny. I hope the writers and artist keep doing their best as long as journey to capture all the pokemon continues.

Jump to different Forum...