RSS Feed Print
Update on Rarity from the Hollow
Robert Eggleton
Posted: Sunday, September 7, 2014 9:44 AM

Danny Boyd, filmmaker, emailed me yesterday that he is 80 pages in on reading my novel and said, "Wow!"  A prominent science fiction magazine has requested a review copy from the publisher, which I hope strengthens Mr. Boyd's interests.  Reader reviews would go a long way toward sparking optimism by Mr. Boyd that an audience exists to generate sales at the box-office.

The most recent review of Rarity from the Hollow was published last week but I can't post the link here for some reason.  It can be found by searching A Universe On the Edge / Electric Review and then under book reviews.  It compared my writing to Kurt Vonnegut! 

In Baryonline 103, Barry Hunter concluded his review: "... I can almost hear a blue grass version of Metallica while reading this. I expect to see more from Eggleton and Lacy Dawn. Good satire is hard to find and science fiction satire is even harder to find." Mia, a book reviewer for Coffee Times Romance concluded her review: "...But I was surprised that as I read more of the book, the people had a way of touching a part of you that I was not expecting at all. A good read for any lover of satire and science fiction. A well written book." After stating that Rarity from the Hollow was one of the most unusual books that he had read in a long time, Darrell Bain, 2005 Fictionwise Ebook Author of the Year and 2007 Double Eppie Award Winner, closed his review with, "...You'll enjoy the ride with Lacy Dawn and friends and family, but don't expect the ride to be without bumps and enough food for thought to last you a long time."

Similarly, author William DeVault said in his review, "...one of those strange and exciting bits of literature that captures you with its uniqueness and then lingers on your mind, reasserting itself from time to time to remind you that your reality may not be everyone else's. A rich and original work, full of aspects and images that are certain to make it worth recommending to friends you wish to impress. Not for everyone, but for those ready to embrace the offbeat, a welcome surprise."  Similarly, Piers Anthony commented that "Rarity from the Hollow is an original, interesting…(and) Not for the prudish."

J.D. Nelson, poet, MadVerse, compared the writing to both Stephen King and Ray Bradbury (big compliments): "Eggleton counters the story's dark mood with touches of warmth and humor, a la Ray Bradbury. .. His frank and honest portrayal of poverty in rural Appalachia is reminiscent of Stephen King's use of 'everyday horrors'...."

Kevin Patrick Mahoney on Authortrek compared it to Dean Koontz (!!!): "...the subject matter is dark and strong, unflinching in its portrayal of human darkness, and not for the faint-hearted or easily offended. Robert Eggleton is not afraid of employing complex style and structure to fit the needs of his story. The mixture of sci-fi, gritty reality, humour, and the mode of thriller reminds me a great deal of Dean Koontz's writing, and Robert Eggleton may indeed have the potential to follow in Dean Koontz's footsteps."

Evelyn Somers, Editor, The Missouri Review didn't compare it to any works by others but echoed Mahoney: "Among its strengths are an ultra-convincing depiction of the lives, especially the inner lives, of the Appalachian characters. The grim details of their existence are delivered with such flat understatement that at times they almost become comic. And just when you think enough is enough, this world is too plain ugly, Lacy Dawn's father (who is being "fixed" with DotCom's help) gets a job and Lacy Dawn, her mother and her dog take off for a trip to the mall "out of state" with Lacy Dawn's android friend, now her "fiance" (though as Lacy's mother points out, he doesn't have any private parts, not even "a bump.") In the space between a few lines we go from hardscrabble realism to pure sci-fi/fantasy. It's quite a trip."

Adicus Ryan Garton, publisher of Atomjack Science Fiction Magazine said it was the Wizard of Oz (L. Frank Baum) and Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams) smashed together. I was elated as Hitchhikers is my favorite all time novel. Mr. Garton found that "...There is so much to this story, and its writing is so unblinkingly honest…spares us nothing…her father beating her and her mother, the emotions…the dark creeping insanity that eats away at her Iraq-veteran father, and the life in general of people too poor, too uneducated to escape. In part, it is a grueling exposition of what children endure when …abused. …the only way…to escape is to learn that she is the savior… strong, tough, smart-all those attributes that any child should have-and she reminds us that children are survivors, adaptive and optimistic.

But don't think you're going to be reading something harsh and brutal and tragic. This book is laugh-out-loud funny at times, satiric of almost everything it touches upon…The characters from the hollow and from the planet Shptiludrp (the Mall of the Universe) are funny almost to the point of tears.

...It's absolutely fantastic…."

Robert Eggleton
Posted: Sunday, September 7, 2014 9:57 AM

A Universe On the Edge | Electric Review

Mimi Speike
Posted: Sunday, September 7, 2014 11:11 AM

Robert, I am thrilled for you. Your voice sounds fantastic, just the sort of thing that I will adore, though I am not a sci-fi fan. It sounds to me like I write in the same vein of sly humor, in fantasy. Is your book posted here? Well, I guess I'll find out, in a minute or two. I want to love it!  I expect to love it! I say that in all sincerity, for once. 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

OK, I find nothing here by you. Well, your book goes on my list of books to buy next trip to Amazon. Do we have the next Hugh Howey here, pushing the envelope for an often tiresome genre? (Don't anybody jump on me. I told you I'm not a fan.) Also, gorgeously written, the icing on the cake? Oh! Let it be so! 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Oh, God. I finally read your full post. Sounds like your humor is a bit savage, while mine is bemused. Still intriguing as hell.

--edited by Mimi Speike on 9/7/2014, 8:59 PM--

Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager
Posted: Monday, September 8, 2014 9:06 AM

Hi Robert--what wonderful news! I'm thrilled for you and can't wait to hear more. So glad you posted to share!

Tell us more about Dog Horn publishing and how you got involved with them.

And please consider posting at least an excerpt of RARITY here on Book Country--we'd love to be able to check it out!

Lucy

Jump to different Forum...