RSS Feed Print
Never Give Up
JoAnne Myers
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2014 5:23 PM

NEVER GIVE UP:

For as long as I can remember, I have had an artistic flare-whether that be for writing, painting, sewing or drawing. I recall as a child how much I enjoyed drawing. The writing came later. My seventh grade English teacher was Mrs. Henderson-a young mother and wife. She gave us a writing assignment and after gifting me with an A+ told me I should consider writing as a career. She meant as a journalist. I did not take her advise and become a journalist (one of my many misgivings). My mind went toward other things as many young girls dream of-a husband, home, and family of my own. I put my love for writing and painting on hold for years. I unfortunately married a man who like my mother never encouraged me to be artistic. It was not until my children were grown and I no longer had a husband, that I went back to my first love-art. I got a late start, but always encouraged my children and others to partake of artistic endeavors. I now have six books under contract with two publishing houses. So my words to you all, is that no matter what road you choose, never forget your passion, and always keep it close to heart. Don’t let anyone or anything stop you from enjoying your natural talents. You might need to put art on a temporary hold, but never give up.

Jonathan L
Posted: Monday, April 7, 2014 3:47 PM

Thank you for the encouragement! I agree it is important to keep writing and keep doing what you are passionate about. This was very motivating.
Julie Artz
Posted: Tuesday, April 8, 2014 7:48 AM

What an amazing story--thanks for sharing! I think we all need to hear about successes like this more often in a business that's full of rejection. 

My parents (my dad in particular) actively discouraged me from pursuing an artistic career. I understand conceptually why they did--they're both accountants, both grew up poor, and wanted me to avoid the risks and uncertainties that come with this life. Now that I'm close to 40 and am married with children, my mom is very supportive of me taking time off from my career in communications to write. In fact, she's now my biggest fan. I wonder what might have been if they had supported me like that 20 years ago? 

Regardless, I'm happy with the decisions I've made and won't spend too much time looking backwards when there are so many exciting things ahead. It's just interesting and reminds me that when my kids say they want to be rock stars or comic book illustrators or hairdressers or whatever else they dream up, my answer should always come from a place of support rather than terror  

chatebooks
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2016 2:17 PM

A very encouraging post! Lots of writers go through rejection everyday, either from agents or readers. I think it best to take rejections as something to learn from and something that can actually help you grow. Don't let this experience pull you down. Never give up! 

ChatEbooks recently posted https://www.chatebooks.com/blog-Writers-Network-6-Benefits-of-Connecting-With-Successful-Authors

Charles J. Barone
Posted: Friday, April 22, 2016 9:20 PM

Mine began in 3rd grade. Our teacher, Sister Mary Martina, asked us to write a paragraph about something in our classroom. I chose my pencil. My paragraph filled both sides of a sheet of paper. She chose my story to read over those of the other 31 kids in the class.

I was hooked. A day didn't go by that I wasn't writing a story, usually at home for myself. I had to write. The need continued into high school where one of my English teachers encouraged me to take a journalism class and work on the school newspaper.

After high school, the military and in the early stages of a career I put writing aside. The need returned some years later. I began writing a western novel. It was a page here and a page there, then became a couple of pages a day until I hundreds of handwritten pages. I dug out my ancient typewriter, got a new ribbon, and began typing the thing, editing and making changes as I went. When I finished the transcription, I had a stack 484 pages deep, and still unfinished.

During a divorce, I moved out and forgot the manuscript. Over the years when I wasn't involved with something else, I've tried reconstructing it. to no avail. I can't say it was any good, only that it had all the famous characters of Tombstone, Arizona in it. The Earp brothers, Clantons, McLaurys, Ringo, Brocius, Doc Holiday, etc were there and the timeline from the start leading to the OK Corral fight was correct and that I'd tried to weave known facts into my fictional story.

I managed to publish 4 novels with 2 small publishers, both of whom went out of business shortly after leading me to wonder.......... I've also started more books than I've finished. They sit like broken down cars on a highway probably never to be resurrected. If I regret abandoning them, I don't regret starting them. Each one taught me something about the craft.

Jump to different Forum...