RSS Feed Print
Camp NaNo
Linnea Ren
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 7:49 PM

Is Camp NaNo a thing on here? One starts up in April, and I know my sister's doing it, so I was considering it as well. Does anyone else do Camp NaNo on here? We can totally do a buddy thing where we cheer each other on.

~Linnea

Julie Artz
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2014 8:01 AM

I must be crazy, because I just signed up for Camp NaNo! I'm cramming to finish editing The Outlands so that I can devote the month of April to a new project I've been thinking about. I don't know that I'll shoot for 50k words again because I think I produce better work when I write about 1000 words at a time, but I'm definitely going to try to get as much of this new project on paper as I can during April. 

I'd be happy to have a Camp NaNo support group here, or we could get together on the NaNo site and request the same "cabin" (how cozy!). I'm TerminalVerbosity in NaNo land, let me know your user name if you want to sign up together!

Linnea Ren
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2014 10:16 AM

Julie: Haha you kind of have to be crazy to be a writer. Otherwise nothing ever gets done. I'm going for 50k, but with school, and transfer stuff I don't know if I'll be able to get it all. Who knows.

I'll send you a message you on Camp NaNo land so we can chat on there. I'm curious to know more about your story! My username is sunechirei.

~Linnea

Sephira
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 11:20 AM
I'm signed up to do it, but not sure how well it's going to go. I'm a lot less prepared than I was when I did NaNo. Figured since I've had a few things kicking around in my head, wouldn't hurt to at least try to get some of it on paper. Do like that "camp" is a bit more laid-back in terms of word count, so I don't have to be a virtual shut-in for the month. XD
Linnea Ren
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 12:13 PM
Camp is more laid back, which is why I'm breaking a million rules (writing a book I've been planning for a year now, and writing two books at once). I hope you do well Sephira!
imawake
Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 4:33 PM

There's no way I can do Camp NaNo this month, but if any of you are doing it in July, I hope to do it then. I'm still trying to finish my wip from the November NaNo!
Sephira
Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 6:31 PM

Since Camp doesn't have any sort of set word goals, I know a lot of people that are using it to edit and revise works in progress. So it still might be doable if you want to use it as motivation. 

Once I see how this one goes, I may do July as well, always have something I could work on.

Julie Artz
Posted: Thursday, April 3, 2014 5:31 AM

I didn't quite finish my revisions on my November NaNoWriMo, but I needed a break from it, so I'm diving in to a new story this month. I'm way less prepared than I was in November--only a vague outline and almost no research done. But I find the editing process, even when it involves a lot of (re)writing, daunting. I think getting the creative juices flowing will give me energy to return to it next month.

The thing I love about NaNoWriMo is that it lets me recommit to writing every. single. day. The thing I hate about it is that I have to come up with ideas every. single. day. It's amazing and exhausting at the same time. Finishing the words yesterday was an act of sheer will. But I did it. One day at a time, right?

Sephira
Posted: Thursday, April 3, 2014 10:42 PM
That's how I was this time - sort of a vague idea, and totally winging it. I managed to come up with more of the basic plot, but actually writing it has been a lot harder. I only set my word goal at 30K this time though, that way I didn't feel totally overwhelmed. So far I've been able to stick to it.

I like NaNo in general because typically writing is lower on my list of priorities and so most of the time I don't make time for it. At least when I NaNo, I feel like I have to write, even if I don't feel like it... so it keeps me going. 

Jump to different Forum...