RSS Feed Print
Possibly going to self publish
Linnea Ren
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 6:11 PM
So, the book I have on here, The First Nine, is the book I plan to publish first, and I'm thinking of going the indie route. My uncle works for Amazon Kindle, and he says he knows all the trick of the trade to publish easily, so I'm considering going through them, but I'm not sure. 

Anyone have any advice out there for me? I know I need a book cover, a jacket text, more or less how to format an e-book, and a way to publicize my book (I'm going to start up a blog this summer and create a facebook page). But what else do I need to do to publish? My goal date is April 6th, 2015, so I have time. I just need to know what I should do. Anyone have anything that can help me out? Anything is much appreciated!
~Linnea

Perry
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 8:59 PM

You might get a copy of THE INDIE AUTHOR REVOLUTION - AN INSIDER'S GUIDE TO SELF-PUBLISHING by Dara Beevas, self-published (of course) through Beaver's Pond Press in Edina, Minnesota. Read the reviews of the book on Amazon.

I've heard Dara speak twice, and she's great. She worked for Beaver's Pond, and in 2013 she and another Beaver's Pond staffer split off and started their own company to help self-publishers. Find them at WiseInk.com

(For what it's worth, I found BookCountry after reading about it on the WiseInk blog.)

I've had two short story collections published through a small traditional publisher. Now I'm working on a novel and considering self-publishing after reading Dara's book.

Linnea Ren
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 12:17 AM

The only problem with that is I'm dirt poor. Can barely afford to feed myself right now. So buying a book to help me isn't exactly an option, which is why I came here for advice. I'm going to to research on my own on other sites as well, but with classes and work I don't have a lot of free time. 

Also, I tried to go to the website and it says it's for sale. So I'm not sure what's going on there. 

Thank you though!

~Linnea

Lucy Silag
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 9:42 AM

Hey, Linnea!

So many congrats on your progress with THE FIRST NINE, and I adore that you've set a goal date and are working on a timeline. You go, girl!

I think you said you are a student, so if you use the Interlibrary Loan at your school to get a copy of the book Perry recommends, you can probably keep it for a long time for free--I did that all the time as a student, and I loved it!

We're starting to have a lot of self-publishing tips, advice, and perspectives on our blog these days, too. That's a great place to start finding out about self-publishing!

Here's a few good posts to start with:

You can ask any and all questions here on this discussion board, and I think it's a great idea to connect with members who are also self-publishing. Lots of folks introduce themselves here.

Let us know how it goes!

Lucy

Book Country Community and Engagement Manager

Perry
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 9:47 AM

Linnea,

That was my mistake. The address is wiseinkblog.com. They have a lot of good information if you go back through their past blog entries.

Perry

Jump to different Forum...