RSS Feed Print
Writing Prompts to Get You Going
Lucy Silag
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 12:43 PM

Hi everyone!

I thought it might be fun to share some writing prompts on a thread here on BC.

One writer I know has this as her go-to prompt:

Three people stuck in a room together. Go.

I've got the midwinter snowstorm blues so the prompt above feels a little too cabin fevered for me to feel very inspired by it . . .

Lucy Silag

Book Country Community and Engagement Manager

Ian Nathaniel Cohen
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 2:04 PM
It's only a matter of time, Andy thought as his gaze shifted anxiously from Nick to Jackie.  Any moment now, any moment...

"Were you able to get through to the custodian?" Jackie asked as she checked her watch.

"Nope," Nick replied.  "I had to leave another message."

"Probably at lunch" Jackie huffed.  "What about the secretaries?"

"No answer." 

"Great," Jackie huffed.  "Just great.  Of all the days for me to forget to charge my cel.  Andy, how's yours working?"

Andy's eyes narrowed with ever-increasing suspicion.  Oh, look at them, so innocuous, so nonchalant about our certain demise!  Entombed within four stone walls for all eternity!  How long as it been since they sealed us away?  Hours?  Days? 

Weeks?

Jackie raised an eyebrow.  "Um...Andy?  You okay?"

"What's with him?" Nick asked her.  "We've only been stuck down here for two minutes." 

Don't listed to them! he told himself.  They're in league with the squirrels!  The squirrels!  The Great Woodchuck warned you about them, didn't he, Andy?  Their spies are everywhere, waiting everywhere, lurking in every corner and behind every tree!  Their beady eyes are ever watchful for the chance they need to bring an end to the World of Men!

"I dunno, maybe he's claustrophobic or something." 

"Well, from now on, Mr. deGraf can get his own damn supplies from the closet," Nick muttered.  "Either that, or he can get his lazy kiester butt around to fixing the doors around here.  I'm not missing out on canoli day in the cafeteria for this again."

I'll escape sooner or later, Andy swore to himself.  I'll escape, and then shall come...revenge!  Revenge on the squirrel-spawn that sent me here!  Oh sweet, sweet, maple-syrup-drizzled revenge!  That will be a true pleasure...heh heh heh heh...heeeeeeeee hee hee hee hee hee...BWAAAAAA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Ian Nathaniel Cohen
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2014 2:59 PM
I hope I didn't kill this thread with my previous post.
Lucy Silag
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2014 4:28 PM

No, Ian! You most definitely did not!

I loved what you wrote. I had actually been thinking it would be a thread where people shared the prompts that they've had success with, but I loved that you just jumped in! Well done!!

Lucy

Jump to different Forum...