RSS Feed Print
Hi there - Newby wannabe here saying hi
Yellowcake
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2014 5:55 PM

Hi folks at Bookcountry, I stumbled across this site totally by chance and I'm very glad I did. In simply reading through some of these manuscripts and drafts has inspired me to keep learning, growing and trying harder to bring my stories up "up to speed"
I've only ever written short, silly and hopefully amusing kids stories to share with my rug rats. Friends and family have encouraged me to put them "out there" which is nice of them ... (big breath - so here goes)
I'm Looking for any constructive criticism, pointers and hints from those with vastly more experience than myself. The 2 manuscripts I've put up for review are:
Tim (a comic fantasy about an unemployed troll)
and
Soulweaver (My first foray into the grown-up world of the horror genre)
I've read through some of the feedback from others, and can see already that there is room for improvement on the soulweaver manuscript I have here. A recurring issue that I've seen seems to be that the characters don't have enough description ... ie what do he/she look like.  I'll address that hopefully in draft 2.
The other thing I'd like to get your feedback on would be along the use of swearing. I catch myself dropping the odd "F bomb" here and there. Do you think the use of language too strong with this story and off putting, or does it help build the intensity/gravity of each situation? I'd love to hear your thoughts on that. 
Thanks in advance for your feedback, negative or positive ... its all good. ___ cheers. Al

Lucy Silag
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2014 6:26 PM

Hi Yellowcake!

Welcome to Book Country! Excited to have you here.

We had a wonderful guest post on our blog last fall called "Why I Write Horror" that you might check out, just for fun.

Let me know if there are things you need help with as you look around here on Book Country.

Lucy Silag

Book Country Community and Engagement Manager

PS: I for one don't mind swearing in fiction . . .

Jump to different Forum...