RSS Feed Print
What do women want?
TheresaReel
Posted: Wednesday, January 1, 2014 5:48 PM

This is an absurd question, since I am a woman.  But my manuscript has something in it that a reviewer said I could do without:  "Philosophy"  Now, as a reader, I like to be exposed to different things and I thought including philosophical thoughts/ideas in a woman's life would be fine.  After all, our lives include a bit of philosophy, right?  We all have certain philosophical thoughts at some time in our lives.  Do women want deep thoughts in their fiction?  What is love?  What is the purpose of my life?  What is magic?  What is the cost of clinging to what we have been conditioned to want?  What is fear?  Did I make a boo-boo in including these questions?
Elizabeth Moon
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2014 4:02 PM

If only one reviewer didn't think philosophy belonged in your book...what did others say?  Was it a matter of "too much" or "any at all?"  Could it be that when you're including the philosophical parts of your book, you do it in a way that isn't as lively/appealing as the other parts of your book?   I don't read much women's fiction (as defined by the market) but in any genre I like books that include thoughtful consideration of what's going on, what it means, via one of the main characters.   As a woman reader of some maturity (!  means my gray hairs were earned)  I do think about things--why I made the choices I made, why my friends made the choices they made, what choices we were not allowed to make when younger, etc.  Why so many of us still feel we're not good enough, or not important enough to deserve any good things, etc.  I have seen that and more that I would consider thoughtful consideration of problems and challenges women face in the women's fiction I've read. 

I would look long and hard at anyone who told me that philosophy (or religion or ambition or family relationships or professional culture problems--or anything, really)  should not be in my books, in any genre.   What is this person's background for saying so?   Is it a statement of personal preference?   What qualifications does this person have to make such a blanket statement? 

TheresaReel
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 8:25 AM

I'm not sure of his reasoning.  Of course it was a male who reviewed my posted manuscript.  It had been posted for months and only one person read it--the Man who hated it.  I kept it up for a few months after that, hoping a woman would give her perspective, but there were no more reviews and I was afraid the bad review by the man was scaring others off, so I just took it down.  I minored in Philosophy in college; maybe there was too much, but I love the beauty of a philosophical life and don't think other women would be turned off.  I don't write "bodice rippers"; not that I have anything against them--I like reading them now and then, but that's just not my style and wasn't what the story was about.  I never responded to his post; I was afraid if I defended my writing decisions, I would be accused of being
"emotional".  He also said I should "jump straight into the action", but I wasn't writing a thriller.  Just a love story about a woman who has to overcome fear in order to be with who she loves.  I'll keep working on it and submitting it to publishers.  I would love to prove him wrong.
Anita Marie
Posted: Thursday, October 8, 2015 11:18 PM

Hello Theresa,

I'm new here, so haven't had the chance to walk the halls and explore the place. I hope to read some good stories here, and maybe post something of my own. 

Just want to say, that someone else's bad review wouldn't put me off. That's his/her opinion. Doesn't mean it's going to be mine. I have to read the story myself. If the summary interests me, or the subject matter does, I'll dive right in. I pretty much agree with what Elizabeth said. 

Really have to laugh when someone says you should jump right into the action. Sometimes you have to set the tone, lead up to the action. As you say, you're not writing a thriller or action/adventure novel. Where did he think the action started? 

My first romance is a little like yours in that the heroine has had some not so wonderful times with most of the guys she's had the misfortune to meet. Some of her experiences were mine . . . was my way of dealing with the feelings. So she has to learn trust.

If you would like, I would be happy to read it and give you my thoughts. happy

You should be allowed to defend your writing without being judged. We all love our babies and want everyone else to love them too. I know I do! Truth is, not everyone will. Here's where we have to develop that hard shell. Hear what they have to say, decide if it's valid and fix it if it is, or toss it aside and go on. 

Back when I first started writing, I didn't care what anyone said. I didn't argue about it--too much the mouse--but I'd feel resentment. Rarely made suggested changes!  Now I'm my own worst critic. I cut and rewrite freely. That first novel was 1200 pages handwritten which turned out to be a little over 800 done on the PC once I finally got one. Eventually, I got it down to 534 and there it stays.  

Keep working at it. I'd love to see you prove him wrong too!

Mercy
Posted: Tuesday, December 1, 2015 8:51 PM

I love the idea of philosophy mixed in with my fiction, but I think I want the questions posed within the work itself, not in words within the work. In other words, I want the story to make me ask "what is the cost of love? is it a price I am willing to pay? is it too high?" or "are refugees just like me?" or "can I see the world from a point of view - that of a suicide bomber - that is as far from my own as I can get? Can I walk in their shoes? does it change my opinions of them?" But I want it to be the work itself that elicits these kind of questions.

I do think a main character who likes philosophy and deep thinking would be attractive though. I love to think deeply about things. However - I often feel alone in this, so maybe it's not a big market

Jump to different Forum...