RSS Feed Print
Discussions For Dummies
Bo
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 6:57 PM

I really want to love this Bookcountry site. Everything about it seems to perfectly fit what I am looking for, except this "Discussions" forums section. There must be something simple I am missing. 

Is there a way to watch/subscribe to threads? 

Is there a way to be notified of replies to threads? 

This is the most advanced text box I've seen in my life. Yet I am having to change settings to get line spaces. Is there something to this I'm not getting?

Thanks in advance. And, I guess I will just come back here and periodically check for replies since there is not a subscription option that I can find.

Good writing! 

--edited by Bo on 11/22/2013, 7:00 PM--

Aira Philipps
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 8:21 PM

By the box that says "add reply' at the top of the board on the left, there is a box that says control panel, you subscribe there. However sometimes I can not see it, but if you scroll where it should be and click it, it takes you there.

--edited by Aira Philipps on 11/22/2013, 8:22 PM--

Bo
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2013 2:54 PM

"Add reply" allows me to type a reply. It does not subscribe, or "watch", as it is sometimes called on other message boards/ forums.

Bo
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2013 2:57 PM

There is a link for "control panel" on the discussions home. It takes me to a link to "manage subscriptions". But there are no subscriptions there to manage since I cannot figure out how to subscribe to a thread. 

I took a screenshot. But I also cannot figure out how to insert a picture LOL. 

Aira Philipps
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2013 4:20 PM

Go there and hit update, when you do it will show at the bottom I do believe
Lucy Silag
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2013 2:57 PM

Hi Bo! Welcome to Book Country. We're very glad to have you here, and I am glad you took the time to let us know how the site is working for you!

On Book Country, we do not have the ability to insert pictures into the Discussion Boards.

We put together a blog post that walks members through how to use the Discussion Boards on Book Country in the way that you are describing. There are screenshots here that will walk you through how to subscribe. Please check it out and let me know if it answers your questions!

I sent you a connection request so that I can follow up with you directly.

Thanks for reaching out--we do want to make sure everyone finds what they need on Book Country.

Lucy Silag

Book Country Community and Engagement Manager

Lucy Silag
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2013 2:59 PM

PS: If you are logged in, Bo, you should see a little envelope in the left corner of the screen, right under where it says "Discussions." That is the "subscribe" button!!

Bo
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2013 4:22 PM

Okay Lucy, I'm an idiot. When I hover over the envelope it says "subscribe". I feared it would be user error. 

Thank you!

Bo
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2013 4:23 PM

While you are on a roll, care to tell me how to get a line break in between paragraphs? Is there a way to change the default?
Lucy Silag
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2013 5:27 PM

Hi Bo!

Re: Line breaks--

If you hold down the shift key while you press enter (also known as a soft return), that should help.

I have a strict policy to not let any BC member call themselves an idiot! We are all learning!

Please let me know if there is anything else I can show you!

Lucy

--edited by Lucy Silag on 11/25/2013, 5:27 PM--

Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 7:06 PM

Bo, if it'll make you feel better... I didn't know how to do the line breaks either. Thanks, Lucy, for showing us!

~Nevena, BC coordinator

Jump to different Forum...