RSS Feed Print
Suggestions from a techie
DCLabs
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 8:43 PM

Hi all, your friendly neighbourhood IT guy here.  Many of us have no doubt heard the horror stories of manuscripts lost to computer crashes and various kinds of hardware failure.  I even see a thread about backing up.  There exists a free technology today that I make heavy use of that I would recommend to many of you, particularly for storing documents supporting your writing (outlines, character lists, manuscripts themselves).  Its cloud computing.  Likely you've heard that term before and some may even be familiar with dropbox, a popular form of cloud computing.

That said, I'd like to suggest folks check out SkyDrive (www.skydrive.com).  You get 7Gb for free and it works on all computers (Mac, PC) and handheld devices.  I store all my writing docs there, so if my compy goes caput I don't lose any of it.  Better still, I can access and modify online at any time.  Oh, did I mention it gives you access to Microsoft Office 2013?  For Free?  Yup, any word, powerpoint and excel documents you have on your skydrive you can edit in a full MS Word application from the convenience of your web browser.  I said this was free, right?

Check it out.  May just save your butt!

Mimi Speike
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 11:09 PM

Thanks, DC. I'll check it out.
txnursie
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2013 2:27 AM

I came in search of a techie to help me, and I believe I've found one. I'm new to this site, and I just tried to upload my project, which worked, but then when I tried to save it, it kept telling me "error saving project" in red. 

What am I doing wrong? 

Thanks!

Donna

Aira Philipps
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 8:27 PM

I helped my son with that very problem, but I can't remember how I fixed it because it's not in front of me. He forgot a step, I know that. I hope someone stops by with more information.

As for SkyDrive, I went there and found some of my stuff already saved there. I don't remember doing it, but glad you reminded me.

Lucy Silag
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2013 3:15 PM

Hi Donna! I want to help you with this uploading issue because it sounds like a bug. If it's still going on, will you email me at support at bookcountry dot com? I just sent you a connection request and I will follow up with you via private message if I don't hear from you via support.

Also want to show anyone else who stops by this thread that that our Book Country Coordinator, Nevena, wrote a great blog post about how to upload your book to Book Country. Use it as a guide if you're a newbie--I think it will really help!

Lucy Silag

Book Country Community and Engagement Manager

Jump to different Forum...