RSS Feed Print
Memoir
Dennis Fleming
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 9:20 AM

I've written two memoirs and am currently writing a "serial" memoir. I'm trying to do something different with the genre (if you can call it that). I "created" (does anyone?) a style for my second memoir. I begin with the principal story and quickly bring in another. The reader bounces between the two stories, which become closer text-wise as they accelerate toward each other in time. There's a lot I can talk about but I don't want to go on just yet. I wanted to get a memoir discussion going. Don't see any.
Colleen Lindsay
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2013 10:41 PM

Hi Dennis!

The addition of memoir to the genre map is a very recent one. It may take a while to get much discussion going in some of the new genres. You can help that along by inviting other writer friends to join Book Country and jump into the conversations, though.

Good luck and welcome!

Colleen

Dennis Fleming
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2013 11:27 PM

Thanks, Colleen. I hope I can persuade others to join in. I'd like to talk about memoir as an art form open to many approaches, a genre not tied down to any set form.
Lucy Silag
Posted: Monday, July 1, 2013 9:20 AM

Hi Dennis--I am also a huge memoir fan, and love seeing writers try new things with the genre.  Can't wait to see this serialization of your non-fiction story.  Let us know what you are learning as you do it--I'm very curious!!
TrevorS
Posted: Wednesday, August 7, 2013 4:38 PM

Hello Dennis,

I'm new here, this is my first post, and I'm delighted to see the start of a thread on memoirs. I write memoirs, biographies, and am almost obsessed with factual writing, rather than fiction. I believe that there is no set style for bio or autobiographical writing, and writing a narrative history is as valid as writing the memoir in the style of a novel or adventure story. As long as the story stays true to reality.

I like your idea of diverging stories, it sounds innovative, and I'd like to see how it works out.

I'm presently working on my own memoirs, and will publish them as short pieces, novella-type stories, and essays. I'm also working on the biographies of both of my parents, a far more challenging prospect!!

It'll be great to talk to you and Lucy, et al.

Kind regards

Trevor

--edited by TrevorS on 8/7/2013, 4:39 PM--

Dennis Fleming
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2013 11:19 PM

I haven't been here since my first post in June. Wow. For discussion's sake, here's my AboutMe page
ElenaK
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013 8:26 PM

I feel dwarfed by everyone else's accomplishments.  I'm new to this site (just joined today) and new to memoir writing.  The project I'm working on now really started off as just something to pass the time, but the more I wrote, the more I thought that I could try and do something with it.  I usually write short stories and bad poetry, so I sometimes struggle with keeping things 'real'.  Since many of you are more experienced with the memoir genre, do you have any words of wisdom?
Wolf DeVoon
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 12:10 AM

Words of wisdom. Sure.

#1 - Never write in Gaelic. No elipses, italic, bold, or pansy font colors.

#2 - You're stuck with your own voice. There's nothing to learn, and very little can be unlearned. In your case, consider it a natural gift. You will never be confused with any other writer.

#3 - Keep writing until you can't write any more. In your case, about 40 more years, which is an enormous pile of royalties. Probably never spend it all. What a bummer, huh?

cool

AnneSchober
Posted: Monday, September 9, 2013 4:37 PM

Hi Everyone.  I am a new member and a recently retired teacher who took early time off to write my memoir.  I became a Freedom Writer teacher in 2007, chosen by Erin Gruwell, and thought I would write about my experiences.  But, I feel unmotivated.  I don't have writers block... just no gumption to get up and write.  Any suggestions??  Thanks!

Lucy Silag
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 5:29 PM

Hi @Anne!

I loved the Freedom Writers movie, so I definitely want you to keep going on your memoir! Plus, it is one of my very, very favorite genres, and I am always hoping members will post memoir excerpts for me to read--so fun.

I'm about to send you a connection request so that we can correspond over Private Message and I can send you some tips for using Book Country. Let's definitely correspond so that you can get started workshopping the memoir, I'm very curious!

Lucy Silag

Book Country Community and Engagement Manager

juluque
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 2:59 AM

This is awesome, I just joined BC and already found many answers to my questions about writing a book. I am not a professional writer but I've always been fascinated by literature and always dreamed of writing. At this point in my life I am extremely simulated to write my memoir. I had a struggled life with many stories to share but I wasn't sure if I want to put all those stories in one book. I was thinking to wrote a saga of smaller books. Dennis, your idea is genius and It gave me some strength to pursuit my intention of dividing my stories un different themes or phases. 

I still need to make a map and try to figure it out how to approach this project. I started writing short stories for a blog. I am intending to write a few more stories to get some practice and also learn the best way to tell my story. My biggest challenge is that English is not my first language. 

This is my first story I had published. I would like to have some inputs. 

https://medium.com/this-happened-to-me/7841e0aecc73 

Going back to Dennis, I read your excerpts and they are phenomenal. I have to confess they captivated me. I can relate to your story so much even when we are so different. I'm gay and hispanic. 

--edited by juluque on 9/25/2013, 3:02 AM--

Lucy Silag
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 6:06 PM

Hi, Juluque, welcome to Book Country! Glad to have you here.

I am about to send you a connection request. That way, if you need help getting involved in the Book Country community, we can message directly. Feel free to also ask questions to the community, as you did here, as well!

Lucy Silag

avictoryof
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2013 1:05 AM

Lin Kaatz Chary
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 8:04 PM

Hi, I'm very new, this is my first post. One of the reasons I joined book country was in the hope of reading other memoirs and being able to post mine as it goes along, but when I click on "memoir" in the genre map there doesn't seem to be anything going on. Am I looking in the wrong place? Is there anyone else out there who is working on memoir and would like to connect? Mine is not finished but I would really love some feedback on what I've done so far.
Lucy Silag
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 3:29 PM

Hi Lin! Welcome to Book Country! Thrilled to have you here, as memoir is one of my very favoritest genres. Thanks for taking the lead on finding memoirists to connect with.

It looks like right now we have 10 memoirs up for review on Book Country. Browse the list and see if any catch your interest! 

I got to those results by going to the Genre Map --> Memoir--> Search Memoir Titles now.

I'm going to send you a connection request so that I can send you connection recommendations to some other memoir writers here on Book Country.

I've also got a few other links that might be helpful to you as you are look around:

Please let me know how I can help show you around, and looking forward to being in touch here on Book Country!

Lucy Silag

Lucy Silag
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 3:34 PM

One more thing, Lin: Don't hesitate to check out all the writers here on this thread! Many have memoirs up on Book Country for you to read and review, and discuss the genre with.

Lucy

Asif Khan
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2015 6:43 AM

I have just completed my memoir and I am in the process of contacting Literary Agents and Publishers. What I am seeking now is some tips how to go about it. Memoir has been written in the backdrop of Indian and Pakistani cultures with anecdotes containing humor and tenderness spread over several decades. I am not a published writer, the manuscript is an extension of an essay I had submitted at U C Berkeley while doing a short course last year.

Asif Khan

Peedie William
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2015 2:45 AM

I am glad I found Book Country. My memoir is the true story of my violent childhood. I was encouraged to tell my story after reading a book called The Nipper, by Charlie Mitchell, and a Child Called It by David Pelzer.

It has taken until I was 59 years old to pour out my soul for all to read. It was a very difficult thing to write down, and made me feel ill at times reliving the tortures and psychological abuse I received from my father. My book, Stanley's Coat by Peedie William has given me freedom at last from the memories I kept in my mind. My partner has always known about my abusive childhood, and finally persuaded me to write it down. I never thought I could have written a page about myself, never mind a whole 32 chapter book.

I am the eldest of seven children and was born in the Scottish Islands of Orkney in 1956. My father never acknowledged that I was his son, until the day before he died aged 78.

Lucy Silag - Book Country Director
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2015 3:01 PM

Welcome, Peedie! Thanks for joining the Book Country community. It sounds like you are involved in an incredible memoir project.

I've always wanted to go to the Orkney Islands. It must be beautiful there!

Schmecks
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2016 10:44 AM

Wow, Peedie, congratulations on getting the writing done and finishing Stanley's Coat. I'm doing a memoir and wanting to tell a family story that's not been told. If your book is on Book Country or I could see some of it, I'd enjoy that.

take good care,

Andrew

LizLazzara
Posted: Monday, May 2, 2016 4:39 PM

I'm currently working on a memoir right now about my experience as a young married girl who separated from her 11-years-older husband after 10 months of marriage, and then found love again -- along with some things on mental health, alcoholism, sexual indiscretion, and the long, trying process of living with my mother as a grown adult afterward. Glad this discussion group exists!

Jump to different Forum...