RSS Feed Print
Project Metafiction (Inquire Within)
Scott Kolascky
Posted: Wednesday, April 24, 2013 6:27 PM

Hello,

I have an idea. More like a vision, I suppose. I won't call it a dream, but only because this isn't a speech on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial and I'm not Martin Luther King (to my great chagrin, I might add). The vision I have is of an open-source universe, where anyone who is willing to follow some simple rules can contribute. Where no one has to worry about publishing rights because those publishing rights are available to all who obey the rules. Once something is finalized it would become part of the canon, providing it was plausible and didn't conflict with what has already been written. This would be an entirely new universe as well, so as to avoid copyright laws.

But let me back up a bit, so that we may see what inspired this idea, vision, or what-have-you. When I ask what enthralls the readers of Lord of the Rings, or the viewers of Star Wars, Star Trek, or the Matrix, what do you suppose the answer will be? No doubt if I asked thousands of people, some would answer it was the plot, others that it was the characters, and of course there would be a few who'd never heard of any of those tales. But for writers, I think there is quite another reason why they are enthralled with these works. They are in love with the world or universe created, and astonished by how vast it is compared to how little of it is explored. For example, wouldn't it be fascinating to read about the Wookiees' stone age or watch Middle Earth progress to the spacefaring era? Yet this is not possible, for even if such stories were written, there are rights to be obtained that very few authors have access to.

That is what will make Project Metafiction different. The rights to the universe belong to anyone who wants to contribute, so long as they agree that they will allow others the same freedom. Content created for Project Metafiction could be sold or given away, and that would be entirely up to the author. Whereas in other cases the options are restricted by publishing and content rights, this would simply not be the case for the Project Metafiction universe.

Alright, so I've outlined my vision and explained why I believe it has merit. Now to the 'inquire within' portion. As this remains little more than an idea at the moment, I will need help to make it a reality. While I plan on writing quite a bit to "kickstart" the universe, Project Metafiction will likely require at least:

One graphic artist

One social media expert (to handle twitter and facebook, and release tweets when new content is created)

A couple more authors (as Project Metafiction is intended as a whole universe, the task of populating it with enough races and events to drive interest will be a monumental task for one writer alone)

A group of very opinionated people (to run ideas by and get a definite yea or nay)

A marketing expert (to get the message out to as many people as possible)

An editor or two. Two would probably be best.

Other roles I haven't listed here. If you want to help and have an idea for how you could do that, then simply send a pm and I'll probably be very grateful for the help.

Thanks,

Scott

P.S. If you are interested, but want more information, please visit projectmetafiction.wikidot.com

Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2013 5:18 PM

Hi Scott, 

Welcome to Book Country. And congrats on your project! It sounds like a really interesting idea. 

I just wanted to give you the heads up that I will move this discussion to a more appropriate location in the discussion forums: Industry Happenings --> Writing Organizations

Also, I recommend that you refer to our Community Guidelines regarding self-promotion and spam on Book Country: http://bookcountry.com/CommunityGuidelines.aspx. Feel free to share and discuss projects that you are passionate about with the other members, but when you are promoting your website in the future, please do so in the Introduce Yourself and Member News and Announcements areas of the forums. 

Thanks and good luck with your project!

Nevena 
Book Country Assistant
Scott Kolascky
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2013 6:35 PM

Hi Nevena,
Thanks for the heads up! I'll endeavor to post in the correct forums moving forward.
Scott

Jump to different Forum...