RSS Feed Print
Would you re query?
Angela Martello
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2012 9:02 AM

Here's a question for all of you. Now that I've been on this site for several months and have done some extensive revisions to my book, I'm thinking of taking the dreaded plunge into querying again.

Last summer, I had received the following response from one agent and, in retrospect, based on the pages she would have had to read at the time, it was appropriate. The question is, would you re-query? Would you explain that you had joined a writing workshop site, etc?

Here's the response:

Thanks for sending along the pages of your manuscript, A Kaliphian Matter: Revelations. Truth be told, though, I'm afraid these pages just didn't draw me in as much as I had hoped. I'm pressed for time these days and, what with my reservations about the project, I suspect I wouldn't be the best fit. Thanks so much for contacting me and for giving me this opportunity. It's much appreciated, and I'm sorry to be passing.

Sinnie Ellis
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2012 1:19 PM

I've found that agents read so many queries a year, re querying is not something I'm afraid of. Don't be down if you get the same responses as you have in the past.  Just keep trying. Someone will love your work sooner or later.

Alexander Hollins
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 1:28 PM

I wouldn't do too much explaining, just, I've rewritten it and fixed a few problems, would you be kind enough to give it another read?

Jay Greenstein
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 10:58 PM
All they can do is say no. But, from what I hear the first thing many agents do on logging a query in is to check their data base to see if it's a story, or a writer, they've rejected..

Also, be aware that the rejection you quoted was a form rejection. You would get that same rejection were they to have rejected it during the first paragraph or at the end of the fifth page. They will almost never tell you why it was rejected, Every agent has horror stories about the time they did, so they say something that makes it seem that the story has merit, so they can't be accused of discouraging writers.

Angela Martello
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 7:40 PM

Thanks, folks. I'm sure all of us feel this way, but I find the entire querying process more work than the entire writing/editing/rewriting process.

Jump to different Forum...